• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AA - I believe

Plasdom

Reaction score
So I have had a long run of bad luck with T shirts. I have gone through a ton of them and they all end up the same. The neck gets larger and loses its shape after multiple washes; sometimes after a single wash. So I have been reading threads and found out that you guys love american apparel. So I figure, "to hell with it" and buy the "Fine Jersey Short Sleeve T-Shirt (3-PACK)" online without trying it on or actually feeling it.

They arrived today. wow. They fit perfectly (medium) feels solid and so comfy. Now if they last through multiple washes...all will be well with the world. Prior to them I purchase two BR t shirts which are starting to lose a bit of shape after 4 washes

sbbbjm

Reaction score
if they fit perfect, make sure when you dry them that you only do it partially to get them back to their original shape if they've stretched. if you dry them all the way they will shrink alot.

AA is notorious for shrinkage. i buy em in larges if i want a regular fit. they're too big at first but after a couple times in the dryer that fit perfect. if i want snug and fitted i stay with the mediums and only partially dry

generic_guy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Plasdom
Now if they last through multiple washes...
frown.gif
They don't.
Expect them to be about a size smaller after a normal wash.
You can presumably keep them the same size if you handwash and then stretch and dry carefully, although it doesn't seem worth the effort to me.
This may vary according to which shirt you buy, people do rave about them so maybe I've just been unlucky.

quadraphony

Reaction score
Speaking of AA shrinkage, do the hoodies shrink down at all after a wash and machine dry?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by quadraphony
Speaking of AA shrinkage, do the hoodies shrink down at all after a wash and machine dry?
I've got the california fleece hoodie. My experience is that if it shrinks in between washes, I sure haven't noticed. Do note that all their clothing is similar to brands like Penguin in that if you like "normal" sizing, go a size up from what you normally wear or your usual size for "slim." I can't remember where I found it because it's not in AA's site, but I remember seeing exact measurements for their t-shirts. The only real difference between the medium and the small was length. The large was when a more noticeable change happened. I own AA shirts S-L and they all fit fine on me.

Plasdom

Reaction score
Originally Posted by generic_guy
frown.gif
They don't.
Expect them to be about a size smaller after a normal wash.
You can presumably keep them the same size if you handwash and then stretch and dry carefully, although it doesn't seem worth the effort to me.
This may vary according to which shirt you buy, people do rave about them so maybe I've just been unlucky.

Great...I figured this must be too good to be true.

jookz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Plasdom
Great...I figured this must be too good to be true.

They seem to last through multiple washes for me rather well so far...

Also, you can get AA shirts much cheaper through wholesale operations such as YQUE, which certainly makes the costs of the shirts justifiable, even if they don't last quite as long as other brands.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had several AA tshirts/leisure shirts/fleece sweatshirts for a couple of years, and none has worn out, frayed, etc. I wash them normally, but usually hang dry. On the occasions I've dried them (I'm not that careful), they've shrunk a little, but stretched back out to normal before long. I wear a large, if it matters. YMMV.

My only issue has been the zipper on the sweatshirts, which is sewn a little sloppily and shapes the shirt oddly near the bottom.

SF user The Grapist does wholesale orders through the buying and selling forum.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A hoodies do not shrink significantly.

BubblyMasquerade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a 35 or 36 inch chest, what size would I be if I just popped the shirts into the dryer?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BubblyMasquerade
I have a 35 or 36 inch chest, what size would I be if I just popped the shirts into the dryer?
Again, I'd say you're a small but that depends on how long you want your shirts. I'm 6'1 and while a small fits me fine, it goes a little high on my belt since I mostly wear lowrise jeans. Hence, I order medium AA's from Yque, my friendly neighborhood Los Feliz wonder store. To repeat, it has never been my experience that AA shrinks like say a Hanes Beefy or what not. The material is so pliable that you can stretch it back even if it does a little. I also have never had problems with the shirt fraying, losing color, shape, etc. I wear my shirts all the time and they look as good as new. Shoreman made a good point about the zipper on the hoodie. For some reason it's a bit oddly shapened towards the bottom. It doesn't seem able to really lie flat and instead pops out a bit. I think it has to do with the lightness of the material in that it's a bit flexible.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I've never had an AA shirt lose its shape in the wash, or in the dryer. They shrink, yea. But that's all.. the neck doesn't get loose and they don't really twist either.

Ott

Reaction score
I like how the necks stretch out, they're a bit constricting at first.

And yeah, they shrink upwards like crazy.. everyone knows that. Just wash cold, line dry, and its fine imo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics