• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AA FANNY PACK around shoulder? advice needed

JakeLA

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
They wouldn't look "murse" at all assuming that's a male nurse thing. It's a messanger bag...but smaller. If you're comfortable wearing a messanger bag, and considered wearing a fanny pack, i don't know why you'd have a problem wearing a messanger bag that's just a bit smaller.

Unless you're a messenger, a messenger bag IS a purse. Nothing wrong with that, bu let's be honest with ourselves. You're carrying a bunch of **** that can't fit in your pockets, so you need a purse. Personally, I think the original poster should just bite the bullet and get a regular ol' messenger bag. Yes, it's larger than what he needs, but so what? It looks better than carrying around some dainty clutch-type thing, or slinging a fanny pack over a shoulder. He says he needs it for "walking around," but he's in L.A. -- where exactly is he doing all this walking? Either get a messenger bag, or go all anti-fashion and carry your stuff in a Trader Joe's tote.

How's that for a first post?

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
A backpack is a purse then? A briefcase too? By your definition they both are. I use my messanger bag, looks like one of those military surplus ones but in black, every day when classes are in session. I carry my books, notebooks, etc... Other people use briefcases to carry files, papers, important documents, and stuff because they can't fit them in their pockets. They even carry it on a handle. I use a messanger bag because for the most part it looks a bit more polished with my outfits than a backpack(at least my old ugly one from high school that i never threw away).

If you really want to go anti-fashion, go get a burlap sack that used to carry potatoes or peanuts or something. If you're a business man, skip the briefcase and carry a sack with a dollar sign on it.

On a serious note, i don't think it's weird to want something smaller than a messanger bag for just carrying small stuff. I've been in the same situation when going to the gym to play basketball or to play sports elsewhere. I'm wearing basketball shorts and a tshirt so i have no pockets, and i don't want to just leave my keys, phone, wallet and possibly an extra tshirt lying around at the gym or on the grass. I actually used to wear a cheesy fanny pack from walmart freshman year. It wasn't about fashion or anything but simply about convenience. I got a few chuckles every once in awhile but most people didn't care and thought it was ironically cool. I used a nylon sport bag that mr. sola kindly found a picture of for me.

lowrider

Reaction score
I know that LV isn't really an approved brand on SF but I got this as a gift a couple of years ago and it works well as a mini-messenger bag. I put my wallet in there for scale.

CIMG4165.jpg

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ethirtynine
i need something to hold my sunglasses/glasses case, ipod, etc.

Well sunglasses can be stored on your face, heard or neck of your shirt. Ipods can be clipped to your pockets, no?
Wallet: back pocket. Keys: front pocket
What else do you have? Chapstick? Tampons?

KennyGhetzoff

Reaction score
I agree with OP... I've been looking for awhile exactly what you've described. The closest thing I've found is www.freitag.ch... (I like the F95 Horst style) but dropping $150+ on the bag that I have in mind is a bit much.... still haven't found the small, across the body, bag and have since given up on it.

Willsw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
German bread bag. I was looking for the same thing, walked in to a surplus store and picked it up for $6. It's a little darker than american drab, looks nothing at all like a "murse", in the photo you see two things sticking up over the back, those are adjustable straps (perhaps to hold a longer loaf of bread?) which are not very noticeable when you get it and actually have proven useful for carrying umbrellas. Very useful bag, cheap, attractive enough.

m4268.jpg

KennyGhetzoff

Reaction score
I don't know willsw... looks kinda fussy with all the buckles and straps... I was thinking slimmer and more subtle.

KennyGhetzoff

Reaction score
BTW.;.. OP, if you have H&M near you... there is a smallish bag there that I picked up that will work for $14 until I can get my hands on th freitag.

iamaloser

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KennyGhetzoff
I agree with OP... I've been looking for awhile exactly what you've described. The closest thing I've found is www.freitag.ch... (I like the F95 Horst style)

I fail to see the difference between that and a clutch. you worry me sometimes kenny

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads