1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

AA alternative: Alternative Apparel

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by dusty, Apr 7, 2006.

1. dusty

dusty Senior member

I saw this linked on Cool Hunting, thought maybe some of you guys would be interested.

http://alternativeapparel.com/

From CH:

"Our product testers report that the material is softer than AA and of seemingly finer quality."

Unfortunately their product images aren't as overtly sexual as AA's.

2. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I've ordered from them. I set up a commercial account - the prices are very cheap. The shirts are also extremely soft and well made. I've had a hard time with fit though. The M is smallish, the L is a tad large. Both kinda work, but the american apparel M fits me perfectly.

3. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

How would you compare the two AA's, quality-wise?

4. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Senior member

Never tried Alt A, but I overheard gossip in a boutique that Dov and the man behind Alt A were buddies in NC, but had some falling out, then POW: AA and Alt A were born.

5. seen

seen Senior member

Looks like the sole purposed of Alt A is to be around and piss off AA. With that said, there's no innovation, lots of copying - even the name. And 'seemingly better quality' sounds pretty subjective. And their web site is always out of stock.

Baron, how cheap are the stuff?

6. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Senior member

ha! AA is for people concerned about labor exploitation. Alt A is for folks concerned about sexual exploitation!

7. Baron

The quality is better than American. Almost every shirt I have from American has seam issues. The prices are very low: basic t-shirts are $4. The crewneck fleece sweatshirt (my favorite item from them - lightweight, soft, great cut) is only $10.75. They're worth a try, especially at that price. You can get a sweatshirt a and a couple t's for $20 and see if you like them.

8. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

I've had seam issues with American Apparel too. That Alternative Apparel doesn't appear to support perverted activity is even better.

9. gusgusterson

gusgusterson Senior member

The quality is better than American. Almost every shirt I have from American has seam issues. The prices are very low: basic t-shirts are $4. The crewneck fleece sweatshirt (my favorite item from them - lightweight, soft, great cut) is only $10.75. They're worth a try, especially at that price. You can get a sweatshirt a and a couple t's for $20 and see if you like them.

The retail prices for most t-shirts appear to be in the $18 to $24 range on the Alt. App. website. Is there a wholesale price source for people without resale numbers? A $4 t-shirt sounds really attractive to me!

10. seen

seen Senior member

Yea, hook us up. $4 sounds fan-friggin-tastic.

11. Baron

I created a commercial account on the site. I used the name of my company (which is a property manangement company, by the way) and used my home address. They didn't ask for a resale#. I suppose one could by commercially for corporate give-aways, employee t-shirts, etc. I don't think a resale # is necessary.

12. Horace

Horace Senior member

What other t-shirt makers are there in the US who manufacture strictly in the US? And make high-end stuff.

(Currently I'm on a Sunspel kick -- though they're made in England) because I find the quality of the cotton and the sewing to be superlative.

13. Metal Circus

Metal Circus Senior member

They do ask for a tax ID number.

14. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

I have an Alternative Apparel supplier. Their fits are extremely hit or miss. The heathered shirts are amazing, their standard t-shirts are pretty good - better quality than AA but not a better fit. I find their shirts a bit too long for me, and I'm a relatively tall person. They are not nearly as fitted as American Apparel. My original plan was to do all my printing on Alternative shirts, but they're just not worth the money, for the most part.

I do suggest that you guys all buy one of their heathered t-shirts, and a thermal. Both of those items are great. Best thermal I've ever worn. I'd say better than Spruce.

15. seen

seen Senior member

What kinds of stuff do you print on your shirts?

16. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

What kinds of stuff do you print on your shirts?

Unoriginal, boring one color graphic prints

17. Ahaz

Ahaz Senior member

I guess it's all personal preference, as I am going to have to disagree with Brian. I bought some of their shirts, and wrote this review for another site, where a guy set up a wholesale account. I told him to make a post in Buying and Selling here:

In short, I love them. I ordered three basic crew tees in small, and one burnout tee in medium. The crew tees are very soft - much nicer feeling than American Apparel (hence to be called AA). The small fits kinda in between a medium and a small in AA. They're fit in the chest and waist closer to a small in AA, but they're longer, which works out nice for me. Please note that I have maybe 10 AA shirts, bought from about one year ago to present. The sizing is NEVER consistent, so take my sizing info with a grain of salt.

It's obvious when you pick one up that it's a nicer tee. Okay, the burnout tee. From online pictures I thought it was some kind of dyeing/coloring job (why did I think this?), but that couldn't be more wrong. The darker areas on the model are more sheer than the whiter areas, and his skin is showing through. The white one WILL show a little skin, so not for the faint of heart.

The burnout shirt is the softest thing I've ever felt. It's unreal. The fit is different from the crew tees. It is a wider in the chest and waist (size M versus size S), but the sleeves are cut a little higher. Even though a small would suit be better, the medium still looks good. It's very soft, and drapes itself well. It doesn't balloon out like a lot of stiffer tees tend to do. Everybody should own at least one of these shirts.

If every company currently printing on AA tees switched to Alternative, and they had to raise their prices to compensate, the fashion world would be better off.

Dusting, I'm going to browse around their site some more, and place another order with you. May 1st needs to hurry up and get here, I want some burnout tees in small!

EDIT: More thoughts...

The neck opening is fairly small, but no where near as small as AA has been making recently. Those fit like a mock turtle on me out of the dryer. They honestly are vertical against my neck. These are still narrow for thinner guys, but I do stretch them out a little out of the dryer so they fit better.

The back tag sucks. It isn't scratchy or anything, but it likes to flip up whenever I put the shirt on. AA's design looks like it would do this too, but I've never had a problem with it.

I know my review seems biased towards Alternative Apparel simply because they make a shirt that fits me better, but I think it fits me better because it's a nicer, softer shirt with a slightly better cut in general.

I'm also a leggy guy (only 5' 11", but lots o' leg), and I hate it when shirts hit me right at the belt. They always tuck themselves in behind the back of my pants, and I look all out of proportion regardless.

I find my small crews to be shorter than the new medium AA tees I bought last week. I'm also very sorry to hear that their sizing is hit or miss. That's one of my biggest complaints about AA. Can you go into more detail about why you say that Brian?

18. The Grapist

The Grapist Senior member

Not to spam this thread or anything, but in addition to having an American Apparel wholesale account, I have an Alternative Apparel account as well (along with Article.1). I guess I should start up a thread in the buying/selling forum, but I can definitely get you guys these shirts for far below retail. Edit: Thread here: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...ewpost&t=14235

19. macuser3of5

macuser3of5 Senior member

Quick question... I'm a EU 38 (think Helmut Lang/Costume National fit), would I be a small or a medium in alt. apparel? Any info would be awesome. Thanks.

20. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

macuser, you'd be a small.