• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

a word of advice for the new kid . . .

scott anderson

Reaction score
Um, hate to be squeaky wheel here but I do have the benefit of actual facts on my side. I just sold another blazer to a buyer at UT in Austin Texas. I know specifically from the address. Stick to your guns kid. Oh and P.S. I wear a Blazer to go the supermarket, take out the trash, and go to the post office. Looking great IS always appropriate.

emptym

Reaction score
^I think a blazer can be important. I still have the one my parents bought me in jr high. Don't wear it much though since it's a bit tight, but more importantly, bec. the lapels droop. It was the 80s'. A nice tweed or corduroy jacket could be good too.
Originally Posted by Mr. White
You can't go wrong with solid white dress shirts or oxfords and solid slacks. I can't stress strongly enough to buy no-iron clothes (that is, until your cousin turns 13 and you can marry her). Cotton/poly blends usually work fine for shirts, and polyester or poly/rayon blends for slacks. They're harder to find, but true no-iron, 100% cotton shirts are so comfortable and versatile you'll try to wear them everyday. Try not to bleach them--soak 'em overnight or spot clean to get out stains. The easiest way to transition away from T-shirts and blue jeans is to stop buying them. Use the old ones for your farm chores until they wear out. Upscale them for the pick-up truck races with flannel shirts. Unless you're trying to look immasculated and ineffectual, don't wear clothes that don't go together. Such as jeans and/or T-shirts with traditional men's wear. Or wearing a vest without a jacket and tie. V-neck sweaters show off a tie (or spotlight the absence of a tie). Crew-neck sweaters don't. That's why crew necks are the choice for the casual look, and V-necks are the choice for business. Always wear a collared shirt under a sweater so you don't look ghetto--oops, I meant look like an ignorant hillbilly. Cardigans have been absent for so long that anyone who wears them looks like Mr. Rogers. If he's your role model, wear cardigans with reading glasses on a chain around your neck. A box pack of cigs in the front pocket completes the I-was-raised-by-Granny look. Pleats are absolutely necessary for slacks (and pleats without cuffs are tacky, and vice versa). Why? Well, any man can look mean and tough and pushy. But a gentleman discretely hides an untimely boner by putting his hands in his pockets as if he were just being easygoing. I enjoy wearing a jacket because it's more comfortable to carry things in jacket pockets than in pants pockets. Wool of course--it resists/repels dirt and liquids much better than man-made fibers. The only downside is that the smell of another sheep on you will make yours feel jealous. I'd say that a tweed jacket is just as important to the casual look as is a navy blazer. Maybe more, because black/white herringbone tweed can be worn with black slacks and tie as minimally acceptable, old-fashioned business wear (say, for your court appearance for selling moonshine). Here's the great, casual element to jackets: removing them. When you go to your A&M class, remove your jacket and put it on a seat back before sitting. Fellow students will get the message that you feel comfortable around them. Young women will catch you in an act of undressing. At any rate, good luck.
This is a very funny post, particularly the part about the jealous sheep. I agree w/ about 10% of it: non-iron = OK, soaking > bleaching, tweed coat = good.
Originally Posted by Mr. White
...Also, young men grow taller, shrink an inch, and continue to fill out in all measurements. There's no point trying to assemble a wardrobe until you're 30. Just try to keep replacing the clothes that don't fit anymore or get worn out with interchangeable basics. Like solid colors (ahem)...
I think there's some truth to this. But I still have and enjoy some things I had when I was in college, even stuff from high school and jr high. Some things, it makes sense to spend a lot of money on early and take good care of them. I highly recommend you invest a pair of brown camp mocs from Quoddys and a good pair of black lace-ups by Alden, Alfred Sargent, Allen Edmonds, or Martegani/Ron Rider. You could substitute penny loafers by one of the above makers for the camp mocs. Just make sure they fit. Your feet have probably stopped growing by 19. Those shoes are classics and will last you for 30+ yrs, if you take care of them. I have a pair of camp mocs that I've had for over 20 yrs. They still fit and look great. Other things I have since college or before: sweaters, Levis 501s, belts (since jr high), Patagonia stuff, LL Bean stuff, flannel shirts. Finally, a big +1 to thrifting. It's cheap, good for the environment, fun, interesting, and educational. It'll allow you to experiment with fit, color, etc. Have fun!

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by enginerd917
I still can't beleive people are telling him to wear a blazer to class. That is simply ostentatious, and you will stand out (take that as you may).

I disagree. I think anyone any age can always use a simple, classic navy blazer.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scott anderson
Oh and P.S. I wear a Blazer to go the supermarket, take out the trash, and go to the post office. Looking great IS always appropriate.

Yes, but even when taking out the trash?

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
Yes, but even when taking out the trash?

I don't take it off specifically to do things like take out the trash if I am already dressed. But I certainly don't throw it on just for the special occasion of rubbish removal.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
I disagree. I think anyone any age can always use a simple, classic navy blazer.

Not for class, though. Also, if still growing, it's probably better to wait.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Disagree. Poor dressers be dammed.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ive never seen a blazer on the austin campus. whether for fashion or for practicality given its about 700*F 9 out of the 12 months there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads