• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A weekend Trip to LA

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
May be visiting a friend in West Hollywood from february 26-28. Where should I stay, what should I do. Im looking to spend around 400 max on the hotel, of course I would like to spend less. Somewhere chic/hip I suppose would be cool. Is the standard still en vogue on the left coast?

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fcuknu
May be visiting a friend in West Hollywood from february 26-28. Where should I stay, what should I do. Im looking to spend around 400 max on the hotel, of course I would like to spend less. Somewhere chic/hip I suppose would be cool. Is the standard still en vogue on the left coast?
This thread has some good stuff: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=140094 To recap what I had posted... I stayed at the Beverly Hilton and loved it. Friends stayed at the W near UCLA and it was trendy / nice.... but I thought the Hilton had better ameneties/rooms, etc. The Huntley in Santa Monica is AWESOME ... and very trendy, although might come in a little over budget. Chateau Marmont would be the classic in Hollywood, but again... probably out of budget unless you get really lucky.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll second the Hilton in BH. Not the most chic hotel in the area, but a good value, great location and perfectly sufficient for a couple of days. I stayed there about six months ago when I made a similar weekend wedding trip. Didn't spend enough time in the room (6 - 7 hours a day max, most of which were spent sleeping) to warrant spending a ton.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I stayed at the Sunset Towers in Hollywood in October. We were able to get great deals on line. They upgraded us to a better room and the staff was very hospitable. Everything has been recently remodeled and is quite nice. Have breakfast out by the pool with its views of downtown in the distance. The Chateau is right up the street to go for a drink or a meal.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is Sunset Towers the one with Skybar?

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
Is Sunset Towers the one with Skybar?

That's the Mondrian. For some reason, I got a great price on one of their suites the night of the ET Emmy Party a few years ago and had a room overlooking the pool area where the Goo Goo Dolls were playing and all the celebs were walking about. It was pretty odd being able to look out my window and see David Caradine pushing his way through the crowd.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I hate the BH Hilton. It makes me want to poke my eyes out. I don't know where I would stay for that money, but it wouldn't be there. The Standard was fun the few times I stayed. Rooms are kind of crappy, but cool.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I hate the BH Hilton. It makes me want to poke my eyes out. I don't know where I would stay for that money, but it wouldn't be there.
But ... the Milken Conference is held there!

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
For hotels, I've only stayed at the Beverly Hills Hotel or the Bel-Air.

Both are pretty good...I have particularly fond memories of the first since that's where we stayed when my wife was on Jeopardy!.

- B

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
For hotels, I've only stayed at the Beverly Hills Hotel or the Bel-Air.

Both are pretty good...I have particularly fond memories of the first since that's where we stayed when my wife was on Jeopardy!.

- B

Bel-Air is great, though I think it is still under construction. BH is good if you are in the bungalows. Otherwise, I wouldn't stay there. Neither are in his price range.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
The Huntley in Santa Monica is AWESOME ... and very trendy, although might come in a little over budget.
So... I have only been at the Bar in the Huntley... I have read some luke warm reviews of the hotel proper, but I recommend a cocktail in the Penthouse.

tj100

Reaction score
Shop around on hotels; I used to travel to BH about three times a month. Initially, the Beverly Hilton was my go-to, b/c it's convenient and reliably decent. However, you'll find that if you shop around, you can stay at MUCH better places for the same price.

It got to the point where I was staying at the Four Seasons or the Beverly Hills Hotel for the same price as the Hilton, and they really aren't comparable places.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I like Shutters in SM. Or the Huntington on Pas.

Have not stayed in a hotel in LA in a long time, though.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tj100
Shop around on hotels; I used to travel to BH about three times a month. Initially, the Beverly Hilton was my go-to, b/c it's convenient and reliably decent. However, you'll find that if you shop around, you can stay at MUCH better places for the same price. It got to the point where I was staying at the Four Seasons or the Beverly Hills Hotel for the same price as the Hilton, and they really aren't comparable places.
I guess I"m biased b/c I stayed on points.... so I did not have to deal w/ cost-benefit decisions.... for free, it was exceptional. On unlimited budget, the Peninsula across the street looked like a PALACE

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jesus h cristo there is only one choice. Chateau Marmont. I don't know what these other fools are talking about.

Flip that ******* briefcase already and live a little.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads