• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A way to fade jeans quickly

DECEMBER

Reaction score
I've been looking through a lot of denim threads and I've seen several jeans that have 8 months of wear and barely any fading... brands like KMW / crate.. but then there's some KMW / crates with less wear but a lot of fading so what gives?

I don't think fading is as simple as just wearing your jeans. Climate is probably a factor
Doesn't it suck to wear your jeans for a year and barely have any fading (assuming that's what you're after).

btw how does processed - non/dry denim retain their color and not bleed/fade? Chemically treated or something?

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
This guy's worse than sho'nuff in his jean phase.

DECEMBER

Reaction score
Sure I'm making this more complicated than it should be, but it's an honest question.
Does anyone really know what causes fading indigo?

Lachy

Reaction score
Wear causes fading. Environment makes a slight difference, but unless you want to move to Southeast Asia, just put them on and go about your day!

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DECEMBER
Sure I'm making this more complicated than it should be, but it's an honest question.
Does anyone really know what causes fading indigo?

im gonna give you the benefit of the doubt here and answer the question... indigo fading is caused by a loss of indigo dye. do what people have said: wear them frequently. do some work in them. quit trying to shortcut

thats.mana

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lachy
Wear causes fading. Environment makes a slight difference, but unless you want to move to Southeast Asia, just put them on and go about your day!

I wore my denimz is southeast asia, didn't do much. They just got funky fast.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DECEMBER
I've been looking through a lot of denim threads and I've seen several jeans that have 8 months of wear and barely any fading... brands like KMW / crate.. but then there's some KMW / crates with less wear but a lot of fading so what gives? I don't think fading is as simple as just wearing your jeans. Climate is probably a factor Doesn't it suck to wear your jeans for a year and barely have any fading (assuming that's what you're after). Though I haven't had that experience yet.. btw how does processed - non/dry denim retain their color and not bleed/fade? Chemically treated or something?
KMWs are notoriously hard to fade (as are Ironhearts, for instance). Other jeans are easy to fade (Imperials [iirc], Eternals, etc.). All depends on the dyeing and weaving process (which then starts up arguments about natural vs. synthetic indigo, tight weave vs. loose weave, etc.). It doesn't have anything to do with climate except for the small part sweat may play (although if you soak the jeans it'll get rid of most of the excess indigo that the sweat would be removing anyway) and also rain, fog, etc. I can't think of any jeans that wouldn't show fading in a year of regular (not even daily) wear. Even the hard ones break at around 6-8months from what I've seen. Regular jeans aren't dyed with indigo (which is a very weak dye, hence the fading) but with various synthetics that are designed to be colorfast. They also are washed to remove all excess dye. All this can be found here and on SuFu, don't know why I typed all this instead of just telling you to search, must be more bored than I thought

DECEMBER

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
must be more bored than I thought

as am i, as am i.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
The whole idea of developing your own fades is to have a tangible reflection of your lifestyle. When you resort to shortcuts in fading your jeans, you remove the personal element from the process. So why bother then?

This is all a bit pretentious.

Edit: 2,000 posts!

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
This is all a bit pretentious.

Edit: 2,000 posts!

I don't really argue that. I'm just conveying the general consensus of people who buy raw denim for the purpose of fading.

hedgehog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
The whole idea of developing your own fades is to have a tangible reflection of your lifestyle. When you resort to shortcuts in fading your jeans, you remove the personal element from the process. So why bother then?
The tangible reflection of being nevrotic about your jeans-lifestyle, perhaps. I'm sort of like that myself, though I have more or less stopped caring. There isn't much genuinety in jeans portraying a lifestyle of putting the jeans in the freezer or airing them outside to get rid of the smell. And how does whiskers and honeycombs tell a story? I don't know – for me, a subtle and genuine fade is nice and soulful. Anyways. My point is that resorting to shortcuts in fading the jeans is entirely up to the person who does that. If that's what you want to do, then it sure as hell shows more personality and reflects more of the lifestyle, than forcing oneself to wear the jeans each day for 6 months even when the get hideous. It may not end up looking as good, but that's a different story. So, just grab some sandpaper etc. and do whatever you want. Or not.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is your method anything like the Levi's imprint?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads