• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A visit to John Lobb in Northampton

Denby

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Philip1978
I too have been anxiously waiting for the continued report. Bishop disregard the negative comments!!!!!!!!!!!!!
smile.gif

Hi All

I'm new here and would like to thank those who have contributed to this post, as it has been an interesting read.

I have always liked what I thought were good shoes, but as it turns out, I didn't really have a clue! However I intend to change that and having recently purchased 3 pairs of Church's and then discovered the range of other fine British shoes, a trip to Northampton is in order!

So, the reason for my post is to thank Bishop for sharing his experience of his trip to Northampton, as it is a trip I intend to make soon.

Best
denby

TheEdwardian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
I am curious how Factory store prices of C & J EG and JL compare to each other?
Is there significant difference in price? I would expect so especially in a case of C&J overstocks. Please shed some light.

I was in Northants in November. Trickers and C&J were about £150 for shoes. Tricker boots (like the lovely pair of chepstow keeping my feet warm now were about £190. Couldn't tell you about Lobb, as they were randomly closed.

FWIW, the man at Trickers - who is worth a detour just to talk to - suggested that obb and EG had got wise to the bargain hunters and were charging fasirly top dollar for what is essentially a day out for shoe fetishists. This may of course be complete bollocks, looking at the JL prices quoted in this thread.

I was also interetsed to note the C&J shop had a staff memo lying around saying no handgrades in small sizes were to be sold in the factory shop, because they use them for January Sale stock in London.

Before anyone shouts, I can't say I have an issue with that. All my bigtimer shoes have been seconds, and what they count as a fault in Northampton is less abuse than they get before I have walker to the end of the road in the things.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheEdwardian

FWIW, the man at Trickers - who is worth a detour just to talk to - suggested that obb and EG had got wise to the bargain hunters and were charging fasirly top dollar for what is essentially a day out for shoe fetishists. This may of course be complete bollocks, looking at the JL prices quoted in this thread.

Those JLP prices were from 4 year old posts. I believe there are some newer posts on other threads stating the price is now ~ 400 pounds.

Srynerson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
There is zero overlap b/w JL and Mezlan customers so even if Mezlan were to copy the entire JL lineup, this would have absolutely no effect on JL sales.

I own a pair of Mezlans (eelskin loafers) and a part of JLs (Tilbury) with another on its way (Chapel), so it's not a null set . . . .
fight[1].gif
I do, however, agree with your ultimate conclusion.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am glad I bought from the Northampton shops and eBay some time ago when prices were better.

There do not seem to be any bargains for Brits there now. Trickers guy told me the British market was an insignificant part of their business anyway. Trickers eBay prices have jumped; but those paying in foreign currency will not notice as the fall in the sterling exchange rate hides this.

Often Lobb had nothing but loafers in stock in my size and their loafers were of no interest to me.

PLAL was a useful price quotation to get a reduction on C&J from Pediwear - but PLAL no longer offer C&J.

Good job I am not in immediate need of new shoes.

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by osborn
I was in the JLP northampton factory shop 2 weeks ago and bought a nice pair of seconds (god knows why they were 2nds) -derbies with new redish museum calf, wonderfull patina- for £395. These were standard line JLPs not prestige collection. Those sell for £500s

However once or twice a year they have a sale, last november I bought a similar a pair of City II, with museum calf also, for £225. So basically there r a couple of occasions a year where you MUST go to JLP factory outlet

That same day i dropped by C&J but there was nothing interesting and as the lady said " we do not sell handgrades here" huhu- guess polcies keep changing

On the other hand today I took a trip to another factory shop which is litte out of the way- the barkers one where I bought a nice pair of "US-only" Barkers Blacks for £150 (all are that price).

Then off to Bicester outlet (45 min driving) where Churches is selling beatifull chestnut "royal collection" replacements aka the £475 pound (last year) range for £240. These are not the usual stuff of the outlet and were there apparently because the colour was not exactly what they wanted but - a must buy and so i indulged

I am telling u all of this so that next time i pass by all this stuff has been taken away and so i will not be able to spend £500+ in shoes for the third time in 5 weeks

now get buying for my sake

Get your pics out for the lads
smile.gif

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheEdwardian
I was in Northants in November. Trickers and C&J were about £150 for shoes. Tricker boots (like the lovely pair of chepstow keeping my feet warm now were about £190. Couldn't tell you about Lobb, as they were randomly closed.

I was also interetsed to note the C&J shop had a staff memo lying around saying no handgrades in small sizes were to be sold in the factory shop, because they use them for January Sale stock in London.

Before anyone shouts, I can't say I have an issue with that. All my bigtimer shoes have been seconds, and what they count as a fault in Northampton is less abuse than they get before I have walker to the end of the road in the things.

Thanks for the update.

BenM

Reaction score
Hi I'm a long time styleforum lurker, first time poster. I have just returned from a morning in Northampton and thought I should give an update to this great thread. JOHN LOBB - Had by far the largest range of all the shops I visited. What I would call boat shoes (similar to/same as the Arima on the JL website) were going for £295 Oxfords - generally between £410 to £480 Newbie (Prestige collection) - £535 CROCKETT & JONES - Limited stock, perhaps 10-15 pairs in each size. No black Oxfords which I was targeting. I was told they were sending a few seconds to their shops to be sold during sales. Sizes were a little difficult to gauge as the numbering depended on whether they were made for the UK or American market. There were no handgrade shoes. Prices were between £110 to £180 JEFFREY-WEST - Perhaps 15-20 pairs in each size for their end of line sale shoes, as well all the shoes in their current range. End of line sales shoes were generally either £160 or £170 Current stock was full price EDWARD GREEN - Closed. The guide (http://www.northamptonshireleather.c...rectory-v2.pdf) suggested it would be but I thought I would try my luck. CHURCH'S - Also had limited stock of perhaps 10-15 pairs in each size. Not all were seconds, I guess these were end of line shoes. Prices were between £170 and £200. I travelled up from London on the train. I was able to easily walk from the railway station to each of the stores (in the order above). It was an enjoyable morning but I don't think I will be making a specific trip back. The shoes available were pretty hit and miss (mostly misses for my taste), except John Lobb which were still too expensive for me to want to buy. However if I happen to be passing through Northampton again I will pop back in. For the record, I ended up with a pair of Church's Balmorals (not seconds) with shoe trees for £235. When you add the £20 return train fare I reckon I broke even.

fox81

Reaction score
Lobb has seasonal sales, which someone posted on here last time.
Apparently the first weekend was chaos but i went a weekend after and bought a pair in chestnut museum calf for 225gpb. Rejects but i couldnt find the fault.

hst

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fox81
Lobb has seasonal sales, which someone posted on here last time.
Apparently the first weekend was chaos but i went a weekend after and bought a pair in chestnut museum calf for 225gpb. Rejects but i couldnt find the fault.

When are John Lobb's seasonal sales?

GBer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BenM
I was able to easily walk from the railway station to each of the stores (in the order above)

You walked? It took me ~20 minutes by taxi from the station to EG.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBer
You walked? It took me ~20 minutes by taxi from the station to EG.

It is only Church’s (near the railway station) and Edward Green (near the hospital), who are a bit off the beaten track.

All the other factories are just off the Kettering Road. Once you’ve passed the town centre and have reached the Kettering Road,
they are within a few minutes walk of each other.

f1refighter

Reaction score
Looking to make a trip to Northampton myself! Thanks to all the valuable info (eventho this is from a few years ago!)

Think they still have these kinda cheap prices for seconds there at their factory shops?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads