A visit to John Lobb in Northampton

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bishop24, Mar 6, 2007.

1. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

There are very, very few people outside of here and the AAAC forum who have only the slightest interest in the look of the forthcoming JL vintage shoe. CNN will not be opening tonight with: "John Lobb design revealed!". Neither will hordes of journalists and photographers descend to Northampton.

I believe it's JL as well as the forum members who are kidding themselves about the importance of that particular bit of information.
    After all, it's not a new design concept for Ferrari.

2. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

There are very, very few people outside of here and the AAAC forum who have only the slightest interest in the look of the forthcoming JL vintage shoe. CNN will not be opening tonight with: "John Lobb design revealed!". Neither will hordes of journalists and photographers descend to Northampton.

I believe it's JL as well as the forum members who are kidding themselves about the importance of that particular bit of information.

I think the John Lobe of my brain disagrees with your trivialization of my interests.

3. StockwellDay

StockwellDay Senior member

There are very, very few people outside of here and the AAAC forum who have only the slightest interest in the look of the forthcoming JL vintage shoe. CNN will not be opening tonight with: “John Lobb design revealed!”. Neither will hordes of journalists and photographers descend to Northampton. I believe it’s JL as well as the forum members who are kidding themselves about the importance of that particular bit of information. After all, it’s not a new design concept for Ferrari.
    +1 It's also the case that these shoes are neither designed nor constructed dramatically different than models that have proceeded them. Unlike fashion shows, JL's new line don't command the attention of the fashion intelligentsia - thus their new models don't spur trends in the industry that will soon be copied by 'discount chains' like Zara and H&M -- leading to large profits for the early adapters -- a reason why more fashion oriented design houses might want to keep their designs secret. I hope none of the negative comments dissuades Bishop from posting his experience at C&J and EG. What's the point of SF if not for threads like this.

4. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Seriously. Relax, folks.

5. william

william Senior member

Seriously. Relax, folks.

Hate to be such a follower but...

+1

6. PhiloVance

PhiloVance Senior member

+2. Thank you for the post Bishop. You have stoked my desire to get over to Northampton ASAP!

7. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

It's not a new design, period. WHOA, plaintoe with medallion! Stop the presses! It's such a novel design, the shoe world will never be the same.

8. EL72

EL72 Senior member

It's not a new design, period. WHOA, plaintoe with medallion! Stop the presses! It's such a novel design, the shoe world will never be the same.

But it's a really nice medallion! Look:

[​IMG]

9. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

But it's a really nice medallion! Look:

yea it is. The medallion is very boobalicious

10. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

It's pretty similar to some of their past efforts. [​IMG]

11. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

the newer medallion has more negative space, making the design look more defined. It's a minor change, but to me, a major one that's a dealmaker

12. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Mexico does have an artisan community.

13. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

Shoe companies like Mezlan do quite well using the designs from JL and other high-end shoe manufacturers.

14. Christofuh

Christofuh Senior member

I saw this model back in '06 [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Senior member

Shoe companies like Mezlan do quite well using the designs from JL and other high-end shoe manufacturers.
    Yeah but it's not as if "companies like Mezlan" are cannibalizing JL/EG sales.