1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

A visit to John Lobb in Northampton

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bishop24, Mar 6, 2007.

1. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

Nice one, bishop [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I hope we'll get reports on EG, C&J, G&G as well. Go on, be a devil, dish the Northampton dirt! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Christofuh

Christofuh Senior member

Last year Barneys Japan was offering JL Chapels for around $1800

[​IMG]

3. rbnchn

rbnchn Member

Thanks for the excellent post.

4. Stax

Stax Senior member

thanks for the detail. excellent post.

5. observer

observer Well-Known Member

Thank you Bishop for a rather informative and helpful post. One hopes that you'll similarly record your visit to Edward Green.

About JL and Mexico: one always had a suspicion that all was not well in the state of Denmark (to twist a line from Hamlet)

6. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

Great post, Bishop. Suddenly I have the urge to gift my wife with a nice 2nd honeymoon to England. [​IMG]

7. mussel

mussel Senior member

I called the factory store and asked if they shipped, a lady who answered the phone said nicely but firmly that they wouldn't.

"But I knew someone who received shipment from the factory," I pleaded.

"We only shipped to customers referred to us by the retail stores," she replied even firmer.

8. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

Thank you for putting so much effort in your excellent report.

9. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

I called the factory store and asked if they shipped, a lady who answered the phone said nicely but firmly that they wouldn't.

"But I knew someone who received shipment from the factory," I pleaded.

"We only shipped to customers referred to us by the retail stores," she replied even firmer.

Good to know, thanks.

10. sysdoc

sysdoc Senior member

So you were asked into the conference room and as soon as you were alone you took out your camera?

I hear that one of the clickers had seen you waiting for the shop assistant and out of pure niceness he asked you into the conference room and then left to make you a cup of coffee. That guy is in big trouble now, as you were never meant to be allowed into this room.

Then again, how would the friendly fellow know that you would repay his hospitality with taking out your camera and taking pictures of shoe models that are not meant to be released for months? I am sure he also didn't expect you going on about an alleged JL shoe production in Mexico that happens to be based on pure hearsay.

Go on, flame away guys!

This event will make sure that people at JL Northampton will think twice next time they feel the impulse of being friendly or helpful to a customer they don't know.

This is called the style forum. Your taking advantage of a genuinely nice person has to be considered terribly bad style. At least in my book.

11. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

I am sure he also didn't expect you going on about an alleged JL shoe production in Mexico that happens to be based on pure hearsay.
    In all fairness, I expect Oscar also didn't expect his statement about Mexican production to be broadcast on the internet. Yes, I'm concurring with sysdoc on this one.

12. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

Sysdoc? He lives?[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Clio

Clio Member

In all fairness, I expect Oscar also didn't expect his statement about Mexican production to be broadcast on the internet. Yes, I'm concurring with sysdoc on this one.

Yeah, what they said. Way to go Nancy Drew.

14. observer

observer Well-Known Member

We seem to have got ourselves into some complexity about ethics. An objective view as I see it would be something along the following lines:

A lot of people buying JL shoes may well believe that these shoes have something to do with the legendary John Lobb. May be these shoes should be branded "Hermes designed shoes manufactured in the old Edward Green factory" in the increasingly transparent world that we live in. Furthermore, the US laws, I believe, would require a "made in Mexico" label if and when Mexican JL shoes come into US. I am not sure how the esteemed customers of JL would react to these two realities, even though as we know the shoes would be very much the same shoes.

If "a genuinely nice person" was taken "advatage of", an issue of ethics does arise; provided of course that the person indulging in this was aware that he is taking advantage of an innocent good fellow. If it occured, then the wrong needs to set right, and one needs to figure out how to do that. An emotional approach is not helpful.

Now about the Mexican production. If the intent is not to do it, then JL would not suffer. If JL does do it without declaring it and accepting it publicly, then the customer is perhaps being misled. And, as I said earlier, US law would most probably require disclosure. Hence I do not see how talking about this one should be a source of annoyance to anyone: it is a rumour, either factually correct or, if not so, to be denied!

Anyway, this is my tuppence worth!

15. Frittata

Frittata Senior member

We seem to have got ourselves into some complexity about ethics. An objective view as I see it would be something along the following lines:

A lot of people buying JL shoes may well believe that these shoes have something to do with the legendary John Lobb. May be these shoes should be branded "Hermes designed shoes manufactured in the old Edward Green factory" in the increasingly transparent world that we live in. Furthermore, the US laws, I believe, would require a "made in Mexico" label if and when Mexican JL shoes come into US. I am not sure how the esteemd customers of JL would react to these two realities, even though as we as know the shoes would be very much the same shoes.

If "a genuinely nice person" was taken "advatage of", an issue of ethics does arise; provided of course that the person indulging in this was aware that he is taking advantage of an innocent good fellow. If it occured, then the wrong needs to set right, and one needs to figure out how to do that. An emotional approach is not helpful.

Now about the Mexican production. If the intent is not to do it, then JL would not suffer. If JL does do it without declaring it and accepting it publicly, then the customer is perhaps being misled. And, as I said earlier, US law would most probably require disclosure. Hence I do not how talking about this one should be a source of annoyance to anyone: it is a rumour, either factually correct or, if not so, to be denied!

Anyway, this is my tuppence worth!

sorry guy....I don't get it.
    If I buy Lobb I buy them because of their quality and not because they are made in England.
    A "Made in Mexiko" doesn't bother me at all.

16. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

I spent a boring summer as an au pair in Northampton, I had no idea then I was so close to a gold mine! All I remember is rain, rain, rain, to quote Bryan Ferry.

17. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

You may be right about this but, if this is the case, he shouldn't be revealing this information to the general public. Also, as was pointed out above, the Mexican production information is hearsay.

Regarding the picture taking, the proper thing to have done (IMHO) would have been to ask the folks at JL whether they had a problem with the taking and distribution of pictures (for all we know, bishop actually did this). While I have no reason to doubt him, I would point out that sysdoc's post above is also hearsay to this point.

18. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

What if Bishop and Sysdoc are actually the same person, that is when they're not being Vaclav Krishna?[​IMG]

19. EL72

EL72 Senior member

[​IMG]

Very nice - the JL 2007 is a winner! The last looks different to me than the usual JL special editions.

My serious question about this thread is whether seeing this shoe in advance of its release represents sensitive competitive information that gives JL's rivals some unfair advantage?

20. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

My serious question about this thread is whether seeing this shoe in advance of its release represents sensitive competitive information that gives JL's rivals some unfair advantage?
    Doubtful, because (so far as I know) Lobb is the only shoe company that reguarly brings out new models every year. If EG or some other company did that, and had a chance to revise their desings based on this "leak", then maybe.

Still, Lobb would probably not be happy to have this info out in public at this time, I am guessing ...