Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

A view on Neapolitan shirtmakers and hand finishes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by marcodalondra, Jan 13, 2012.

1. marcodalondra

marcodalondra Senior member

I am not 100 sure about what you mean about numbs, but if you mean smallar thread pick, rather then difficult these are time consuming (in relative terms as these women can hand sew faster the i can type). The straightness and frequency of the hand pick shows the skills. The ticker thread some time used on the front shoulder/yoke, that is just a stylistic choice. Again, the number of hand steps, adding the side seams and hems, should had around 20-30 euro more to the cost of a shirt...

Again most shirtmakers may use the same group of home seamstress for hand sewing, so the quality is relative. Does Anna Matuozzo do everything herself? I doubt it.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012

2. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Don't know the exact number. Somewhere between 5 and 10, I think.

5-6 years per shirt would be nice. I don't mind some minor fraying. The problem is that the Riva cotton has totally worn through. Where the collar folds, there is a large, gaping hole straight through to the interlining. But more important is the cost. Geneva charges $250-80 a shirt, for any Alumo fabric of your choice. Hard to beat that.

My evening shirt is the first shirt I've had made with Alumo. It's very, very nice. Don't miss the Riva at all.

He is self-aware of his showmanship and how it contrasts to the traditional way of doing things. That's very encouraging to me.

We do Duane Reade in NYC.

3. mafoofan

Of course not. She probably hasn't sewn anything herself in a long time. Her contribution is fitting and oversight.

4. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yes, that is actually really reasonable. I didn't know that Geneva was that low. Hmm.

5. marcodalondra

That is why most people ask for spare set of cuffs and collar. It was always included in the shirt price... Once I found a whole box full of cuffs and collar at my grandfather house.

If those were not one off fabrics from Riva, standard fabric should still be available and A M should be able to replace them for you. You will be surprised...

6. quar

quar Senior member

I'd guess that the cost of replacing the collars and cuffs on an Riva AM shirt would approach that of an entirely new Alumo Geneva shirt.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012

7. mafoofan

I have extra cuff s and collars for most of my shirts. But sending them back to Italy is a costly pain.

8. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Have you tried Cego's $150 OCBD? The cloth is inexpensive, thick, coarse and with lots of body (Carl mentioned that the cloth is from a mill in India). Note that it is not any where luxurious - I have to wear it with an under shirt. But for me it is a work horse during the cold months. Also, I wear ties with OCBDs. So YMMV.

9. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Have you considered asking someone locally, like Geneva, to do it for you?

10. comrade

comrade Senior member

Buy more shirts. Fewer washings. No need to "euthanize" shirts before you are resigned to this eventuality.
    That's what I do. I have T&A, and other shirts that are over 15 years old which look new(ish).

11. marcodalondra

It should only be a nominal fee, my shirtmaker would do it for around 20 euro (spare parts would have been produced with the shirt).

12. marcodalondra

USPS priority mail international with two shirts in envelope should cost you around $25....

13. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

thank you for the entertainment. priceless.

14. mafoofan

I've had shirts disappear that way. I'd have to send them with tracking and insurance. 20+ shirts.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012

15. ctp120

ctp120 Senior member

Matt,

Somewhat off-topic, but have you taken delivery of your large-scale herringbone overcoat from the blog?