• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Victimless Crime?

Contingency Plan

Reaction score
I've heard people attempt to justify their actions by suggesting that no one got hurt. A common example would be filesharing; one could argue that this serves as free advertisement for artists; the unpaid downloads offset by those who are exposed to otherwise unknown material and subsequently decide to buy it.

My question is this: is there such a thing as a victimless crime? If so, does that make it any less a crime? I suppose what I'm getting at is whether morality can be divorced from a relational framework: can something be called "wrong" if no-one (or indeed nothing, eg. the environment) suffers from it?

As a Christian, I don't think there is. Even if ostensibly there is no victim, my relationship with God still suffers when I do bad things, so you could say that there always is a victim - if not others, then myself/God. Obviously this doesn't mean much to atheists, so let me know what you guys think!

rxcats

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Contingency Plan
I've heard people attempt to justify their actions by suggesting that no one got hurt. A common example would be filesharing; one could argue that this serves as free advertisement for artists; the unpaid downloads offset by those who are exposed to otherwise unknown material and subsequently decide to buy it.

My question is this: is there such a thing as a victimless crime? If so, does that make it any less a crime? I suppose what I'm getting at is whether morality can be divorced from a relational framework: can something be called "wrong" if no-one (or indeed nothing, eg. the environment) suffers from it?

As a Christian, I don't think there is. Even if ostensibly there is no victim, my relationship with God still suffers when I do bad things, so you could say that there always is a victim - if not others, then myself/God. Obviously this doesn't mean much to atheists, so let me know what you guys think!

I'll respond even though I am an atheist.

I guess it would depend on how you define "crime". If you are a woman in Saudi Arabia and drive a car, you are committing a crime. If you are a white man and married to a black woman in 1950's Virginia......you betcha, a crime is committed. If you had helped a Jew escape from Nazi Germany or a slave escape bondage in the South, you would have been deemed a criminial.

I believe we are sometimes morally obligated to commit crimes, as in the contect above, but often the term "victimless crime" is misused to excuse selfish and bad behavior.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I agree with rxcats to some extent. I think what you are truly getting at is morality, not crime, which opens up a whole separate can of worms, especially on this forum.

Crimes and laws are set by governments, which are separate from religion. Victimless crimes do exist - for example, smoking marijuana in your own house.

Morality is another issue altogether. I think what you are asking is: "Should I always do the 'right' thing as I was brought up to do / my current belief system instructs me to do"? If I am off-base let me know. But to answer your original literal question - yes many government-defined crimes are victimless and no, I do not feel guilty if I commit a crime that I deem victimless.

mafoofan Jr.

Reaction score
You have good moral standpoint and I agree with you, but given today's standards for morality, your conscience is usually right even if the world perceives the action differently. I wrestle with this everyday.

Originally Posted by Contingency Plan

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Jaywalking.

Eagle

Reaction score
No such animal exists...there are always victims!
eh.gif

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
Adultery with a neglected woman in a loveless marriage. People have told me I ought to be hung for this. I am.
crackup[1].gif
worship.gif

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
Adultery with a neglected woman in a loveless marriage. People have told me I ought to be hung for this. I am.
Red, you're a living, breathing Tanizaki novel. Subarashii!
lol8[1].gif

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
prostitution

You would have to do your due diligence for it to be victimless. Some women are prostitutes by choice, but others are forced into it through the sex trade. I would be highly suspect of any agency that was full of eastern European women, for instance. I have no problem with people that engage in sexual activity with willing participants, but I would find it morally reprehensible for someone to do it with the second type. It's basically a facilitated **** and I wish men wouldn't turn a blind eye to it just because they have a hot body in front of them.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
You would have to do your due diligence for it to be victimless. Some women are prostitutes by choice, but others are forced into it through the sex trade. I would be highly suspect of any agency that was full of eastern European women, for instance. I have no problem with people that engage in sexual activity with willing participants, but I would find it morally reprehensible for someone to do it with the second type. It's basically a facilitated **** and I wish men wouldn't turn a blind eye to it just because they have a hot body in front of them.
bad play here coersion, kidnapping and prostitution are different acts. prostitution does nto hurt anyone directly accept possibly the people in the act. the coersion, kidnapping and possibly **** yes are connected to the industry but they are separate from the moral act of prostitution.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scarphe
bad play here coersion, kidnapping and prostitution are different acts. prostitution does nto hurt anyone directly accept possibly the people in the act. the coersion, kidnapping and possibly **** yes are connected to the industry but they are separate from the moral act of prostitution.

Fair enough.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know if you were the last person on this forum I would have expected to read this from, but if you weren't, you weren't far from it.
Originally Posted by scarphe
Academically, maybe. In the real world (barring exceptions mostly confined to very expensive prostitutes), it's not an especially meaningful distinction.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Great. Thanks for ruining xmas for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads