Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

A very strange find...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by misterbowles, Feb 19, 2005.

1. misterbowles

misterbowles Senior member

I picked up a very odd suit today at a thrift store. It is a navy DB 4 x 1, but the thing that is strange about it is that the fabric is a quite heavy yet very soft cotton. It was made in Thailand - the label says "Exclusively Hand-Tailored by Peter Ranee's Custom Tailor, Ambassador Hotel, Bangkok." One would think that a cotton suit made in the tropics would be much lighter weight than this one is...

I can't tell if it is fused or canvased; it's hard to feel through the heavy cotton and I'm not much of an expert when it comes to the hand-test, in any case. It does fit and drape well and looks quite nice, IMHO. I've just never seen anything like it before.

Has anyone else?

Thanks,
    John

2. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

Being of cotton, it may not be fused or canvassed at all.

3. misterbowles

misterbowles Senior member

4. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

Interestingly, my wife shops for suits at Ann Taylor, and their wool jackets are not fused or canvassed at all. Some maker just don't construct things internally. I have the same experience with a Zegna shirt jacket. Wool, but no internal construction.