• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Very Sad Day:

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

johnw86

Reaction score
Yeah. Boy, didn't see that coming.

If there were ever a writer I could have predicted would off himself, it would have been HST. The drugs, booze and guns in his stories were obviously a major part of his life, and now his death.

Mike

Reaction score
Damn. This sucks, man. I was a big fan. This really sucks.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
In honor of Hunter S. Thompson, I will be delivering pizzas today, high on acid, wearing a visor, smoking a cigarette out of a long holder, and constantly whacking off when I can't find a victim to ****.

no, thats probably a bad idea.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gunplay, Slim. You can't forget the gunplay.

I just re-read HST's Hell's Angels and I'm surprised he made it this far. The guy was an American original who was unfairly marginalized.

RIP HST

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Gunplay, Slim. You can't forget the gunplay.

I just re-read HST's Hell's Angels and I'm surprised he made it this far. The guy was an American original who was unfairly marginalized.

RIP HST
I've been thinking about double six-shooters and bandoliers... what do you think?

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a lot of HST stories from my years of living in Puerto Rico. He spent quite a bit of time down there nad pissed off quite a few people. Suffice it to say that, while I think he was a hell of a writer, a lot of his stuff has not aged well. When I was in college, the idea of a booze and drug fueled trip to Vegas sounded pretty cool. Now, forget it.

But, Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail remains a remarkable piece of journalism, one of the best, most brutally honest works of campaign coverage that no one else before or since has had the balls to do.

The closest comparision I can think to Thompson is Menken., but next to HST, Menken was positvely establishment.

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In honor of Hunter S. Thompson, I will be delivering pizzas today, high on acid, wearing a visor, smoking a cigarette out of a long holder, and constantly whacking off when I can't find a victim to ****.
Don't forget the stolen Cadillac and make sure you bring a sketchy coked-out lawyer for when you get pulled over.  Sad to see such an original go.

A.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a lot of HST stories from my years of living in Puerto Rico. He spent quite a bit of time down there nad pissed off quite a few people. Suffice it to say that, while I think he was a hell of a writer, a lot of his stuff has not aged well. When I was in college, the idea of a booze and drug fueled trip to Vegas sounded pretty cool. Now, forget it.

But, Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail remains a remarkable piece of journalism, one of the best, most brutally honest works of campaign coverage that no one else before or since has had the balls to do.

The closest comparision I can think to Thompson is Menken., but next to HST, Menken was positvely establishment.
I also thought Joan Didion did a good job of "gonzo journalism," though she stuck to the pen for weapons, and abused her body less.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am sorry, I have enjoyed his writting.

but, I just read an article that said he shot himself while on the phone with this wife, and with his daughter in the next room. I do not think that was the proper way to do it. I really don't think that was the right way.

mnemonic

Reaction score
one of the greates living american writers, now dead. he reminded me of henry miller, ranting and raving, focusing on impression and substance rather than objectivity and coherence.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads