Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

A very positive experience with ModernTailor

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by username79, Apr 18, 2010.

1. brinkley216

brinkley216 Member

No problem with posting the coupon. Not sure what you mean by (for your own site). I plan on taking some pics of my shirts but I have to wait for a surge of enthusiasm to do that. I must admit that I am a 'Weekly Sales" troll. [​IMG]

2. fox81

fox81 Senior member

Note, though, I believe MT measures the yoke width from outside to outside of the seam, whereas the shoulder width is measured inside.
    A 6.5 shoulder seems a bit large to me for a size 15 shirt, maybe you measured to the outside of the seam?

this is all a bit confusing. anyone care to show how to measure on an actual shirt so i can see the seams?

3. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

this is all a bit confusing. anyone care to show how to measure on an actual shirt so i can see the seams?

Disclaimer: I don't claim to be an expert, this is just how I think the measurements for ModernTailor should be performed.
    (Obviously, the need to take pictures makes precise measurements more difficult)

1. Yoke: here 18.25
    Yoke measurements are tricky because there is no precise measuring point, rather you have to let the shirt fold 'where it wants to fold'. I guess a more precise way of stating is is making sure that front and back panel overlap precisely, but I'm not sure how helpful this is.

2. Shoulder: here 5.75 (because I stop at the inside of the seam)
    Note how the shoulder seam runs quite a bit in front of the point where I took the yoke measurement, ie shoulder measurement is not performed where the yoke measurement is taken, but rather along the seam.

I wish they would just let us measure the dimensions of the yoke itself, this would be less error-prone.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. username79

username79 Senior member

1. Yoke: here 18.25 Yoke measurements are tricky because there is no precise measuring point, rather you have to let the shirt fold 'where it wants to fold'. I guess a more precise way of stating is is making sure that front and back panel overlap precisely, but I'm not sure how helpful this is.
    Since this is square, you can measure at the seam a few inches down from where you measured. It will be the same measurement.

5. fox81

fox81 Senior member

Since this is square, you can measure at the seam a few inches down from where you measured. It will be the same measurement.

but its not. there is 1inch difference between where redwood measured the yoke, and the bottom of the yoke itself on the shirt i used.

ive emailed them twice in the last 24 hrs, no response though

6. username79

username79 Senior member

but its not. there is 1inch difference between where redwood measured the yoke, and the bottom of the yoke itself on the shirt i used.

Is the shirt custom? Post some pictures.

7. phxlawstudent

phxlawstudent Senior member

I want to guess!

A= broadcloth. Judging from the design I'd say middle to high end.

B = pinpoint? Oxford? Wrinkly and worn a few times. Thread counts probably not too high because of the weave, but possibly high end. Can't tell, too worn. Probably a good shirt though, judging by the amount of love its gotten.

C= twill, same quality as A

D= royal oxford, middle end.

E = lowest end of the bunch.

8. username79

username79 Senior member

I want to guess!

A= broadcloth. Judging from the design I'd say middle to high end.

B = pinpoint? Oxford? Wrinkly and worn a few times. Thread counts probably not too high because of the weave, but possibly high end. Can't tell, too worn. Probably a good shirt though, judging by the amount of love its gotten.

C= twill, same quality as A

D= royal oxford, middle end.

E = lowest end of the bunch.

Not bad. Real answers are:

A = RLBL RTW shirt
    B = The shirt this thread is about
    C = Shirt made of DJ Anderson 2x2 200
    D = RLPL RTW shirt
    E = Jantzen Superfine European Cardboard

9. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

I don't find this to be the case in general.
    The side seams (that connect yoke and sleeve) are not perpendicular to the bottom yoke seam. Hence the width at the 'fold-over point' is usually wider than the bottom width of the yoke.

At least that's for most of my shirts.

10. fox81

fox81 Senior member

I don't find this to be the case in general.
    The side seams (that connect yoke and sleeve) are not perpendicular to the bottom yoke seam. Hence the width at the 'fold-over point' is usually wider than the bottom width of the yoke.

At least that's for most of my shirts.

yes, this is what im seeing

11. username79

username79 Senior member

yes, this is what im seeing

Yes, hence the different measurements for shoulder and yoke! As I said and as the pictures show..

12. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

Yes, hence the different measurements for shoulder and yoke! As I said and as the pictures show..

Exactly.
    Which is why you can't just measure
    but have to measure from fold-over point to fold-over point, as imprecise as this may be.

BTW, it might be possible that the yoke is a rectangle (or 'square' as it was called earlier) for some people, e.g., if your shoulder measurement is quite small, but this would be a coincidence - in general, this is not the case.

13. brinkley216

brinkley216 Member

No problem with posting the coupon. Not sure what you mean by (for your own site). I plan on taking some pics of my shirts but I have to wait for a surge of enthusiasm to do that. I must admit that I am a 'Weekly Sales" troll. [​IMG]

I finally get what you meant by "for your own site". [​IMG]

14. SuitMyself

SuitMyself Senior member

I just checked the moderntailor website and I'm very impressed with the variety of shirt fabrics they offer. The shirt prices range from $29.99 to $249.99.

I especially love this fabric [​IMG] on page one in 100% linen!

[​IMG]

I'd do that up with a white spread collar and white portofino cuffs and then, LOOK OUT, LADIES!!!

Red roses
    USD $59.95
    No.: F3
    Material: Linen
    single ply
    Thread Count: 70s

15. imwithtuxedo

imwithtuxedo Senior member

With the time you have spent analyzing over 1/2" to 1" in where to measure on a seam you could have been 4 days away from getting your first test shirt. Go to the fabric sales page, order the cheapest fabric they have that you could conceivably see yourself wearing and order a freaking test shirt and adjust subsequent orders accordingly to fit better.