• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A very positive experience with ModernTailor

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can usually discern inferior suits, shoes, ties, etc... but people's comments on shirtings on this forum verge on the absurd from time to time. I can understand the importance of collar roll and such... but some of the nitpicks are kind of ridiculous.

My 2c.

fox81

Reaction score
When measuring your own best fitting shirt to use for moderntailor, how are people completing the yoke measurement?

Are you doing it from the bottom of the actual yoke of the shirt, or across the widest points of the shoulders? their guide isnt really clear on that.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fox81
When measuring your own best fitting shirt to use for moderntailor, how are people completing the yoke measurement? Are you doing it from the bottom of the actual yoke of the shirt, or across the widest points of the shoulders? their guide isnt really clear on that.
Look at post here. Measure where the red lines correspond to seams on your shirt and enter measurements into corresponding boxes.

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79
From their website: Yoke
yoke.jpg
Shoulder
shoulder.jpg

[ramblings deleted after some geometric deep thinking] Very interested in your findings.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Is "big chunks" the new "office pants?"

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sabvinnie and my_alias are clearly Nialma trolls. And I agree with Newcomer above...much of the shirt criticisims in this forum border on the ridiculous. To the OP...your Modern Tailor shirt looks very good indeed. Wear it in good health
biggrin.gif

fox81

Reaction score
Look at post here. Measure where the red lines correspond to seams on your shirt and enter measurements into corresponding boxes.

so measure along the seam at the bottom of the yoke?

and measure the shoulder on the shoulder seam?

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Redwoood
No, I believe you are supposed to measure where the yoke folds over when you lay the shirt onto its front.
For the shoulder, yes. Exactly as pictured.. E.g. 18.5 yoke, 6.5 shoulder typical of sz. 15 shirt.

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the shoulder, yes.

Exactly as pictured.. E.g. 18.5 yoke, 6.5 shoulder typical of sz. 15 shirt.

Note, though, I believe MT measures the yoke width from outside to outside of the seam, whereas the shoulder width is measured inside.
A 6.5 shoulder seems a bit large to me for a size 15 shirt, maybe you measured to the outside of the seam?

brinkley216

Reaction score
I really like your shirts from Modern Tailor. They look to be well made and I know that the shirt was priced competively as I have about 14 shirts from Modern Tailor myself.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brinkley216
I really like your shirts from Modern Tailor. They look to be well made and I know that the shirt was priced competively as I have about 14 shirts from Modern Tailor myself.
bounce2.gif
By the way, thanks for posting the $20 off coupon (for your own site?). We appreciate it. With coupon and five dollar off return code ModernTailor now $25 more than Mytailor for Thomas Mason, but arrives in 10 days rather than three months.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My second order has appeared in their "Showcase." I expect to receive it sometime this week. Nice to see it before it arrives.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Supposedly the Thomas Mason fabrics they've been posting in droves (226 now) are Goldline.

Which makes them $169 - $20 (SF) - $5 (Return Customer) +10(Shipping)+5(MOP)+5(Split Yoke) = $164.

Good deal for those who know their measurements.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads