1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Puchases through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

A very basic and practical shoes care question from a beginner

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by amiga505, Sep 1, 2018.

1. amiga505

amiga505 New Member

Greetings!

My very first question on this forum, so please do not be hard on me.

So, here goes... I recently bought my first pair of fine dress shoes, Ace Marks just like these:

https://www.acemarks.com/mens-shoes...toe-oxford-shoes/cap-toe-oxford-siena-antique

ace_marks1.png

I wore them two times, pretty happy with them so far, and would like to make sure they last long and look good throughout.

So far I have been keeping them on shoe trees, cleaning the soles with the stiff brush, cleaning the dirt/dust on the shoe body with a softer brush and wiping them with damp cloth. I use a tooth brush to go along the sole and leather seams on the shoe itself. When I do not wear them, I keep them in a cloth bag to protect them from dust. During the second wearing I got caught in the rain and the shoes were soaked throughout, so obviously allowed them to dry before putting them away. You can see how they look right now on the second and third pictures attached to this thread. Wrinkles are already forming at the base of the toe.

L1024263.png

L1024266.png

So the question now, how do I proceed from here? Do I have to condition/moisturise? If yes, how often? Will the conditioning affect the color (I read that they sometimes make it darker)? Then what? Shoe creme, shoe polish, dubbin wax (I do like to add at least a degree of water resistance, like I mentioned, my feet were completely wet after the rain)? Try to find the matching color, or go fo neutral? Again, how often?

I am sorry to bring up basic questions like these, but research yesterday yielded so many facts (this forum included) that my head began to spin. I feel totally at a loss and would appreciate some concrete advice.

Thank you!

2. wklq76a

wklq76a Senior Member

Wrinkles are a fact of shoe life. You can’t prevent or eliminate them.

3. Taverner.cohen

Taverner.cohen Senior Member

4. Taverner.cohen

Taverner.cohen Senior Member

those wrinkles look very normal, I would use in your case (to avoid increasing it), Saphir neutral cream on the area, plus Wax Mahogany, please keep using the shoe trees that will help a lot (Mahoganny is the closest color)

5. amiga505

amiga505 New Member

Thank you! What about the conditioner/moisturiser?

6. starro

starro Senior Member

Leather shoes are not new-born babies. Some common sense when it comes to care is all that is required. Trees, check. Brush before and after wear, check. Polish when it looks dull. Condition when leather feels dry.

7. coldsalmon

coldsalmon Senior Member

Leather shoes are actually made from the skin of newborn babies, but that's an academic point. I agree with your advice. Shoes will wear out eventually. Shoe care is mostly aesthetic, and I would encourage OP to do whatever he thinks makes his shoes look beautiful. I like to use lots of conditioner because it deepens the color, even though it probably makes the leather softer than strictly desireable for durability. Enjoy the patina as it develops.

Also keep in mind that your feet will probably get slightly bigger with age, so keeping a shoe for 20 years might not work just because they will eventually be too small. I am currently dealing with this annoying problem.

8. starro

starro Senior Member

More like teenagers nowadays, based on what I hear from leather experts. But your point is well taken.

To people who switch over from Nikes to proper leather shoes, they under-appreciate just how tough good leather is. It can take tons of abuse before "giving up the ghost". If it gets regular care, there are many cobbling fixes that keep it going long after the first crack appears.

9. amiga505

amiga505 New Member

Thanks everyone for responding!