• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A/V subwoofer options

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So a while back I posted regarding some speakers and the input was great, really changed the direction I was looking in, toward more quality items, and I am very happy I did so. Although I havent pulled the trigger yet I have narrowed down the speakers I will be getting.

My next step is finding a sub... the more I have been thinking about it, my listening will most likely be 70/30 music/HT. However, I want a sub that is going to hit those really low frequencies utilized when bombs and whatnot are going off in movies... I want to be able to feel the bass and not have the volume up so loud it hurts my ears.

As far as a budget, i def. want to stay under $1000 and mor enear $750 as the limit... The room is about 18x19 ft. with one open wall.

Here are some of the brands I am considering:
REL, SVS, HSU, Epik, Sunfire, and Martin Logan... as far as models within those brands the only one I have heard in person is the REL T2 (which I thought sounded good, but seems to get really high marks for music, but just cant hit the low notes associated with HT viewing).

The problem with many of the brands I mentioned is that, although they seem to have high marks, they are mostly online direct companies, so I cant hear them in person before buying.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's been a few years since I've looked at subs, but worth noting that if you are so inclined you can build yourself a pretty spectacular subwoofer for that money (building subwoofers being much easier than building speakers due to not having to deal with crossovers/multiple drivers/finishing multiple cabinets/etc.) Of course this doesn't solve your concern about hearing before you buy, but if you build your own you can tune it however you like.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forget the REL and ML. Add NHT, Paradigm and Rythmik. Subs are all about integration, low distortion, and flat response. For integration you want flexible crossover controls (frequency and phase) and level control. A parametric EQ (PEQ) is useful for controlling room modes but will require a bit of effort on your part to use well. Connectivity, how it connects to your receiver or speakers, can be important if your receiver or preamp isn't too flexible.

In audiophile parlance, a "musical" sub is wimpy, incompetent, or both. REL is a great example of that.

--Andre

dr.no

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I find my ML Depth i to be more than sufficient and is typically in stock for auditioning in most higher-end dealer showrooms (at least here in tri-state area).

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
Forget the REL and ML. Add NHT, Paradigm and Rythmik. Subs are all about integration, low distortion, and flat response. For integration you want flexible crossover controls (frequency and phase) and level control. A parametric EQ (PEQ) is useful for controlling room modes but will require a bit of effort on your part to use well. Connectivity, how it connects to your receiver or speakers, can be important if your receiver or preamp isn't too flexible.

In audiophile parlance, a "musical" sub is wimpy, incompetent, or both. REL is a great example of that.

--Andre

I don't know anywhere near as much as you do about high end audio, but I still strongly disagree with regards to your comment about REL. I have a REL B3 in my bedroom set up and it is by no means wimpy. The REL delivers a ton of deep base that is more than adequate for both music and movies.

-LR

sleekblackroadster

Reaction score
i am looking for a similar solution.

i hear good things about svs and epik. however i really wish i could hear them somewhere.

i have been eyeing the svs pb12-nsd (would have to wait for new version to release) and the pc12-nsd and the epik empire. no idea how they will actually sound though if i order one.

bant

Reaction score
i have a rel t2 and am very pleased with it for both music and movies. it can really thump on the highest settings and don't think you will be disappointed.

bwp

Reaction score
I have a ML Depth and it is more than I could ever need, independent measurements put the -3db at about 16hz in an open air outdoor test. REL subs can be hit or miss, many measure poorly and don't get much below 30hz if at all. Rythmik is worth looking into, the SVS sealed offerings were on my short list as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads