• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A uniform for the rest of your life...

Balfour

Reaction score
Chambray shirt, Alden Plaza last longwings, rubinacci tweed SC, grey flannels

smile.gif

If you were forced to choose one set of clothes that you'd have to buy multiples of- and then wear for the rest of your life- what would it be?

I ask because for some time now I have felt that the continual search for new things doesn't appeal to me. I like to distill things down- to a color, a company, a fabric- and then stick with them.

I am seriously considering creating a "uniform" for myself. At least for my day to day wear. I'm not sure if I want it to be very specific (the same color, fabrication and company for each garment), or more general (all pants of a similar color, all shirts of a certain type, e.g.)

Probably, this isn't going to happen. But if I had to choose right now, it'd be a white oxford cloth button down shirt, khaki/tan denim jeans, and tan chukka boots.
This is probably the best resource you're likely to find:

http://thesilentist.com/post/15351832275/adopting-a-personal-uniform

Here are some other threads worth a look:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/98968/one-shoe-wardrobe-why-not/0_50
www.styleforum.net/t/71198/the-amazing-blazer-suit/0_50

Last edited:

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
navy flannel trousers, brown herringbone SC, white check shirt, oxford semibrogues.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
navy flannel trousers, brown herringbone SC, white check shirt, oxford semibrogues.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some blogger once suggested picking out a uniform for each month, and wearing it once a week. That's an idea I could get behind

I'm not sure I like this idea, but in the liner notes for Stop Making Sense, it does say "People will remember you better if you always wear the same outfit." It also says "Space People read our mail," so there's that to consider.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is not something I would consider at all until I can afford to have someone like Davide Taub as my tailor..

dusttruffle

Reaction score
moving towards this but with two "uniforms" one being all black, the other based on white/blue/pink OCBD with raw denim or navy chinos.
There is a fair bit of struggling items that are referenced as "General Casual" which mostly consist of PRL shirts that i might sell or donate once i have enough "uniform" pieces to cover the slightly daunting "wearing the same thing every day"
One thing this approach helps with is the wallet. As you are force to limit yourself to restricted options.

Last edited:

Businessness

Reaction score
Skinny black chinos with a tucked in camo shirt and nylon O ring belt and low black Doc Martens. If it gets colder I'd put on a black vest over that and colder still I'd throw on a green parka

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads