1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

A uniform for the rest of your life...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TonioKroger, Sep 7, 2013.

1. TonioKroger

TonioKroger Well-Known Member

If you were forced to choose one set of clothes that you'd have to buy multiples of- and then wear for the rest of your life- what would it be?

I ask because for some time now I have felt that the continual search for new things doesn't appeal to me. I like to distill things down- to a color, a company, a fabric- and then stick with them.

I am seriously considering creating a "uniform" for myself. At least for my day to day wear. I'm not sure if I want it to be very specific (the same color, fabrication and company for each garment), or more general (all pants of a similar color, all shirts of a certain type, e.g.)

Probably, this isn't going to happen. But if I had to choose right now, it'd be a white oxford cloth button down shirt, khaki/tan denim jeans, and tan chukka boots.

2. AssassunSB

AssassunSB Member

A pair of raw denim, a dark blue hoodie, a pair of German Army Trainers and any cap.

3. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Senior member

Light grey flannel pants, SB navy coat, white linen PS, light blue BD, mid-brown Jodhpurs.

2 people like this.
  4. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Chambray shirt, Alden Plaza last longwings, rubinacci tweed SC, grey flannels

1 person likes this.
  5. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

I was all onboard with GC's suggestion, but that is a pretty strong argument there, jrd.

6. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

Navy tropical wool pants, White BD shirt in cotton-linen, captoe oxfords in a dark brown.

Too hot where I live to need a jacket :)

7. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Welcome to Styleforum TonioKroger.
    I would like to know what climate & season(s) (if applicable) you are considering for this uni-formed wardrobe.

8. TonioKroger

TonioKroger Well-Known Member

Thanks for the welcome. As I have actually conceived of this for myself, I was actually thinking of a "uniform" that had a cold season and warm season version. Probably the white oxford cloth shirt would remain, but in winter I'd add an undershirt. The khaki/tan denim would become corduroy, and so forth...

9. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Tropical weight wool gray trou, blue spread collar oxford shirt, navy fresco jacket with patch pockets, white linen ps, brown shell park aves, brown tie.

As it gets colder, throw in a gray-brown tweed overcoat, perhaps windowpane, and uniqlo heattech

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  10. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Tonio...do you have a budget or is price not a concern? Also, your approximate location would help (example- Austin, Texas)

11. chinesealpha

chinesealpha Senior member

Red white and blue boat shoes, critter pants, and a yellow vintage brooks brothers ocbd.

12. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

You forgot the cream silk PS :D:foo:

13. celery

celery Senior member

[​IMG]

Hey if it works for you, go for it.

14. chogall

chogall Senior member

airforce blue jacket, candy stripe ocbd, dress cotton/linen khaki, mid brown semi brogue, navy socks. no pocket square, no tie.

15. emiristol

emiristol Senior member

Junior navy jacket, white OCBD, light grey wool trousers, brown suede oxfords, white pocket square

16. Balfour

Balfour Senior member

[​IMG]
    This is probably the best resource you're likely to find:

http://thesilentist.com/post/15351832275/adopting-a-personal-uniform

Here are some other threads worth a look:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/98968/one-shoe-wardrobe-why-not/0_50
    www.styleforum.net/t/71198/the-amazing-blazer-suit/0_50

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  17. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

navy flannel trousers, brown herringbone SC, white check shirt, oxford semibrogues.

18. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

navy flannel trousers, brown herringbone SC, white check shirt, oxford semibrogues.

19. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Some blogger once suggested picking out a uniform for each month, and wearing it once a week. That's an idea I could get behind

I'm not sure I like this idea, but in the liner notes for Stop Making Sense, it does say "People will remember you better if you always wear the same outfit." It also says "Space People read our mail," so there's that to consider.

20. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

This is not something I would consider at all until I can afford to have someone like Davide Taub as my tailor..