• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A trip to Budapest shoemakers

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I travelled extensively through Eastern Europe in 2015. On our travels we spend two weeks in Budapest so I decided to visit a few of its shoemakers. First stop: Attila. It has no RTW or MTO. All shoes are bespoke built around a custom last. Because of the time commitment involved in making a custom last. I did not buy anything there. The saleswoman spoke English very well and was very knowledgable about shoe construction. The cost was 490Euro for the first pair in calf leather plus 30Euro for shoe trees and 80Euro for shipping to USA. Those prices are without VAT. Although I forgot to ask, I'm fairly certain that subsequent pairs would cost less as a new last is unnecessary for subsequent pairs. I thought that the quality of the workmanship and leather was quite high. If I were going the bespoke route, I would not hesitate in using Attila.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My next visit was to Istvan Toth. He runs a completely different type of shop dealing mainly in boots. He does RTW, MTO, and bespoke. His workmanship and leather quality are not as good as the others. That's not to say bad or mediocre but rather simply not as good as the others. The price point is lower than Atilla but I forgot to write down exact prices. I did not order from Istvan but if I had an odd design in mind that I didn't want to commit to traditional bespoke prices, I'd give Istvan a try. Or if I were in the market for riding boots, I'd give him a try also.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My third trip was to Buday. It is a very traditional, Budapest shoemaker. All shoes are hand-welted. They have RTW and MTO. I don't recall if they have bespoke. The craftsmanship and leather quality are excellent. RTW shoes are €440 plus €25 for trees. This price includes VAT which they will refund resulting in a €100 reduction. One of the saleswomen speaks English very well. Many of these pictures show what they can do. But they also do very traditional Budapester as well as English lasted shoes in more conventional colors.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I purchased a pair of their modified Budapester lasted chukkas in great black leather. It is a calf leather that feels and looks much like cordovan. I really liked the 360 degree contrast stitched welt.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1, good stuff! Did you visit Rozsnyai or Vass?
My last stop was Rozsnyai. Their storefront is between Buday and Vass. The primary (sole?) saleswoman speaks English very well and is very knowledgable about shoe construction and Rozsnyai's style. She is the daughter-in-law to the owner. The shoes are hand welter in Debrecen, Hungary. They do RTW and MTO. I don't think that bespoke is available but I could be wrong. There is a price list available on their website.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They allow a high degree of customization regarding style so I picked up a few pair of MTO and had them mail me the shoes. Those with a good eye may recognize a few of the models as I borrowed from designs of others. The last pair ("Eniko") was solely from the imagination of the saleswoman. Loved how they all turned out. The results:

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

black pair looks like st c's

You are the man. I figured that you (or a few others) might recognize some of these. The black pair was, indeed, inspired by StC. I mixed two StC posts to come up with these. One was an Armoury post that showed a StC with the pebbled and plain leather mixed. The Armoury was a wingtip, however. The rest was a popular StC model.

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the leather on the black ones? Looks a bit like buffalo

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What's the leather on the black ones? Looks a bit like buffalo

Very good question. We went back and forth on this issue. I wanted buffalo because I wanted subtle contrast. Eniko thought that because they pull the leather fairly tight over the last, that buffalo would lose too much contrast. I trusted her judgment and she was right. Viewed live there is even less contrast. They turned out very well.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So, is it buffalo? :)

Didn't answer your question earlier, did I? It isn't buffalo. I wanted buffalo, she suggested ray and we compromised in the middle. But I don't remember what we chose. I'll check with Eniko and get back to you on that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads