• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Trip to B. Nelson With My Vintage Edward Greens

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
impatience can be a pity.

Was something magical going to happen to this particular pair of shoes if I waited another few days, weeks or months?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PhiloVance
Was something magical going to happen to this particular pair of shoes if I waited another few days, weeks or months?

i cannot imagine that.

IrateCustomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Philo, just ignore fritzl...I have no idea why he's so fixated on your alleged alacrity on getting these re-soled and heeled, but I find his responses silly. Do whatever the hell you want to with your gear. Jesus, a guy can't post something informative without getting vilified for it
ffffuuuu.gif

I think the shoes look awesome. And to chime in on the "2" that shows up, I would guess it is quantity produced since they actually total them up in the far right column showing total produced in all sizes. So it appears you scored a very rare pair of shoes.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IrateCustomer
I have no idea why he's so fixated ...

i'm not and i have no idea what encourages you to attack me in a unpleasant manner.

we're all here to learn and i was curious about his motivation. he replied in a gentlemanlike manner. what seems to be a problem for you.

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IrateCustomer - yes, i think you're right that its a quantity designation. I think I have these on another old pair as well but I'll need to take another look when I get home.

Might be worth asking EG about it (or maybe not) the next time I have a reason to email them.

No worries Fritz - I hope you enjoyed the post.

well-kept

Reaction score
IrateCustomer - yes, i think you're right that its a quantity designation. I think I have these on another old pair as well but I'll need to take another look when I get home.

EGs from the early 80s and before had the small number above the other markings. It was explained to me that it signifies the number of pairs made of that model and color in that size, during that particular run. The bottom 'production number', four or five digits below the size, will be written inside all - in this case both - pairs in the grouping. So the number is not unique to the shoe but to both pairs in this case.

well-kept

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
what seems to be a problem for you.

The problem is that "Impatience can be a pity' is a negative, critical, judgemental and entirely meaningless statement in this context.

Harrydog

Reaction score
Hi all,
Check out part two of my "before and after" series - I dropped off my vintage EG Twickenhams with Nick V. at B. Nelson and the results are really amazing. I know Nick has been getting some grief on here lately, but from start to finish, him and his guys were very professional, courteous, communicative, highly knowledgable and certainly willing to talk things through in order to meet my (admittedly high) expectations. I can't say enough good things about them - and I was not paid in any way for this endorsement
laugh.gif

Enjoy!

http://uptowndandy.blogspot.com/2011...ge-edward.html

Looks great. I don't see why the heel dimension could not have matched the original however. The aesthetic of the heel is an attractive feature on my high end shoes and I would hope to see that maintained in a resole.

I have been very pleased with the work Nick has done for me putting inset taps on a bunch of my shoes.

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Harrydog
Looks great. I don't see why the heel dimension could not have matched the original however. The aesthetic of the heel is an attractive feature on my high end shoes and I would hope to see that maintained in a resole.

I have been very pleased with the work Nick has done for me putting inset taps on a bunch of my shoes.

I think it can be done - I actually took another pair of EGs for Wildsmith to Nick at the same time just for a cleaning/polishing and reheeling. The dimensions on that heel remained the same, perhaps because there wasn't a resoling involved?).

I'm thinking its what one of those things that can be done if you specifically reference that that is how you would like it.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by well-kept
The problem is that "Impatience can be a pity' is a negative, critical, judgemental and entirely meaningless statement in this context.

if you think so.

i had a dozen pairs out for service within the last month, so tell me please.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great post, thanks for sharing. The resole looks great. Now, just need to dye that saddle...
smile.gif

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by well-kept
Any time. You're consistently negative. I'm far from the first to point it out.

you're welcome. you have a new friend from now on.

ps: i hope, i don't find any negative comments from you. i have spotted some already, though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads