• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Thread for Sunglasses (High End and Rarities Welcome)

Adroit

Reaction score
Eyevan makes great sunglasses. I tried on a few pairs yesterday.

Great article DWW!

Last edited:

Adroit

Reaction score
As a teenager, I was profoundly addicted to a variety of drugs. I managed to get sober 36 years ago. That said, my addictive personality remained in full force and found new manifestations. Over the years, I transitioned from cocaine and LSD to watches, leather jackets, sneakers, suits, and ties, among other things. All the while, sunglasses have been an ancillary outlet for my addictive personality, ever present but not occupying the same focus as other outlets. I purchase sunglasses regularly, but I do not monitor the accumulation with the same attention as watches or leather jackets. Moreover, whereas I occasionally sell watches or leather jackets, I have never sold sunglasses. Instead, I simply store sunglasses that I cease wearing. Thus, while I never set out to become a “collector” of sunglasses, I recently discovered that I have inadvertently amassed more sunglasses than I realized. Sunglasses are now officially yet another of the many outlets for my addictive personality. Time to reach out to Sunglasses Anonymous.

I am clearly not the only one here who suffers from this affliction. How many is too many? At what point does one become a full blown sunglasses addict?

MichaelR

Reaction score
I am clearly not the only one here who suffers from this affliction. How many is too many? At what point does one become a full blown sunglasses addict?

I’m sunglasses addict. It’s never too many for me + I buy vintage sunglasses that I never wear because they are external rare. I have 4 pairs of vintage Cartier Vendome and I’m thinking about buying more of them even I already have 4 pairs. I feel like It’s not enough.

I hate all modern sunglasses including Dita. I truly hate Dita to the point sometimes I feel like destroying my Mach 1.
I always go for rarest sunglasses like Fred American cup, vintage Cazal, vintage Cartier..

Adroit

Reaction score
I buy vintage sunglasses that I never wear because they are external rare.

I only purchase sunglasses to wear. That said, with the exception of sunglasses that are fixtures in my cars, I rarely wear any pair more than once a month

I hate all modern sunglasses.

I love minimalist/conservative modern sunglasses with clean lines, including Mykita, Lindberg, Matsuda, Orgreen, etc. On the other hand, I also appreciate classic vintage designs, including square aviators. I recently purchased a modern interpretation of a 1930s design -- I love the convergence of the vintage and the modern.

Tsujigiri

Reaction score
I collect to wear as well, but I try to sell off ones that I don't use or have lost interest in. Sometimes it's harder to let go of the rarer limited editions that I know I won't be able to find again, but I haven't had seller's regret so far. I have a spreadsheet to keep track of them; just checked it and I currently have 79 pairs, although I've owned well over 200. I figure that as long as you're not sacrificing too much for the hobby and are still in control, it's not excessive.

Adroit

Reaction score
I have a spreadsheet to keep track of them; just checked it and I currently have 79 pairs

You motivated me to inventory my sunglasses (I prepared a Word document, rather than a spreadsheet). I am well behind you -- I only have 54 pairs. On a different forum, a guy posted that he has over 100 pairs of sunglasses -- primarily vintage Raybans. However, he admittedly does not wear the majority of his sunglasses; rather, he "collects" them.

I figure that as long as you're not sacrificing too much for the hobby and are still in control, it's not excessive.

This is my rationalization for all of my addictive behavior . . . whereas drugs adversely affected my life, my other addictions are harmless.

MrZBrown

Reaction score
I collect to wear as well, but I try to sell off ones that I don't use or have lost interest in. Sometimes it's harder to let go of the rarer limited editions that I know I won't be able to find again, but I haven't had seller's regret so far. I have a spreadsheet to keep track of them; just checked it and I currently have 79 pairs, although I've owned well over 200. I figure that as long as you're not sacrificing too much for the hobby and are still in control, it's not excessive.

Where do you sell them? Seems most of the places I have seen with any sort of reasonable collection of buyers carries ludicrous fees to sell sunglasses. Not sure why. Quite annoying when you want to part with an expensive pair. And unless you know the seller, too good to be true basically describes the vast majority of eBay. Fakes galore.

Tsujigiri

Reaction score
You motivated me to inventory my sunglasses (I prepared a Word document, rather than a spreadsheet). I am well behind you -- I only have 54 pairs. On a different forum, a guy posted that he has over 100 pairs of sunglasses -- primarily vintage Raybans. However, he admittedly does not wear the majority of his sunglasses; rather, he "collects" them.

This is my rationalization for all of my addictive behavior . . . whereas drugs adversely affected my life, my other addictions are harmless.

I'm hoping to cut mine down a little... Choosing ones to get rid of is hard, though. Sunglasses is a good addiction to have; I just saw an article the other day describing the health benefits for your eyes of wearing sunglasses.

Where do you sell them? Seems most of the places I have seen with any sort of reasonable collection of buyers carries ludicrous fees to sell sunglasses. Not sure why. Quite annoying when you want to part with an expensive pair. And unless you know the seller, too good to be true basically describes the vast majority of eBay. Fakes galore.

I mostly use eBay since it has a wide audience. I'd say for independent brands, fakes aren't a huge problem. There are just a few brands that are well known enough to have fakes and only a few models within those brands. Also they're usually fairly obvious if you look at the details of the seller. Definitely do your research, though.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMG_8864.jpg

Just got the Eyevan7285 MacDougal with blue lens from 180 The Store. Very nice lenses and they fit right out of the box. No need to adjust. A bit pricey but very well made.

Adroit

Reaction score
^ Those are real nice -- congrats. I really like black frames with blue lenses.

MrZBrown

Reaction score
Grabbed a new pair of Salt St Hubbins yesterday. Right up my alley...

WeatheredHide

Reaction score
My wife really likes a pair of sunglasses made by Anne Valentin. Has anyone ever heard of this brand? How is the quality?

DSC_0879.JPG

I know your post is from a few months ago, but I just saw this now. (It was posted before I even registered a profile here.)

Anne & Valentin makes beautiful frames. With the exception of their titanium frames (which are made in Japan), all of their frames are made in France. I own one of their titanium "MINIMALIST" frames (fitted with prescription lenses), and the frame's design and quality of build is impeccable. Also, despite its "MINIMALIST" name, it's a rather striking frame, and a nice companion to my more conservatively-styled (but just-as-loved) Lindberg "Strip Titanium" frame.

Any eyeglass-wearers here who haven't visited a store that carries handmade frames by independent makers like Anne & Valentin, Lindberg, Barton Perreira, etc. really should. In addition to carrying more stylish, better-crafted frames, you'll generally get far better service at the better dealers. You'll get better help selecting frames suited to your face, meticulous attention to fitting when you finally pick them up, etc.

I always went to standard eyeglass stores (that carry Luxottica's many brands) until I bought my first Lindberg frames some years back. I even bought frames at Costco once. (Big mistake.) Never again.

So, yes, @Adroit, Anne & Valentin frames are of very high quality. Sorry for such a late response.

notmandatory

Reaction score
Just got a pair of JMM Taos in the "Noir 3" colorway that I pre-orderded a few months ago. I like the shape of the frames but I'm not sold on the blue lenses. Is it weird that my eyes are visible behind the lenses?

Adroit

Reaction score
Just got a pair of JMM Taos in the "Noir 3" colorway that I pre-orderded a few months ago. I like the shape of the frames but I'm not sold on the blue lenses. Is it weird that my eyes are visible behind the lenses?

Congrats on the JMM Taos. Great pair of sunglasses!

I have the JMM Zephirin 47 and Jax in Noir 3. I love the blue lenses. I also do not like to see my eyes behind my lenses -- a faint outline is okay, but a clear view is a deal breaker for me. I cannot see my eyes with either of my Noir 3 blue lenses.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads