• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Thread for Sunglasses (High End and Rarities Welcome)

Zeke90

Reaction score
anyone own a pair from david kind? was looking into their “Roman” line of non-rx sunglasses. Anything to point out?

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glass's Clarity & Scratch Resistance greatly outweighs (no pun intended) the weight in my opinion.
I agree 100% - the weight difference is actually pretty minimal, but the optical quality difference is orders of magnitude better with good glass.

Of course, glass can be quite fragile, as I found out the hard way the other day: I stopped at the grocery store to pick up a couple of things, and I took my sunglasses off and hooked one arm into the placket of my polo as I walked in. Only I missed, and my MJ Black Corals hit the floor after a 5 foot free fall. I didn't notice anything amiss until after I checked out and put them back on and discovered that the right lens was shattered.

Luckily, MJ's repair shop will replace both lenses and the nose pieces and realign the frames for $75 plus shipping.

ramsker

Reaction score
anyone own a pair from david kind? was looking into their “Roman” line of non-rx sunglasses. Anything to point out?
I don't own one as of now, but tried some on in San Diego at Moniker General. The tried on a pair with their mineral glass lenses and was impressed, both optically and with the frame quality.

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone checked out the new Jacques Marie Mage frames? I think they look really good, and I'm planning on picking up at least one pair.

JChong8

Reaction score
Has anyone checked out the new Jacques Marie Mage frames? I think they look really good, and I'm planning on picking up at least one pair.

I have had my eyes on JMM as well GG Allin. Like a lot of others have said in here...they have definitely been picking up traction and it seems their marketing is also doing a great job having a lot of celebs rocking them. The frames are chunky and look to be well made, although I haven't personally handled a pair before.

I haven't posted on SF in a while but remembered how good this thread was. I have been picking up a lot of pairs of AM Eyewear and LGR sunglasses. Although my mileage has varied...I've been finding pairs for 30$ US in my local Marshalls. No lie. They vary between Mens and Womens pairs but I've been trying to find and scoop up the mens or unisex pairs in desireable colors and styles.

So far, I've found the LGR Tangieri and LGR Sahara sunglasses for $60 for both. With AM Eyewear, I've found the Ava 3 and Noj 1. I find the AM Eyewear to be constructed very well and they are fitted with Zeiss lenses. I've also been finding Retrosuperfuture sunglasses for around 20$.

MrZBrown

Reaction score
I have had my eyes on JMM as well GG Allin. Like a lot of others have said in here...they have definitely been picking up traction and it seems their marketing is also doing a great job having a lot of celebs rocking them. The frames are chunky and look to be well made, although I haven't personally handled a pair before.

I haven't posted on SF in a while but remembered how good this thread was. I have been picking up a lot of pairs of AM Eyewear and LGR sunglasses. Although my mileage has varied...I've been finding pairs for 30$ US in my local Marshalls. No lie. They vary between Mens and Womens pairs but I've been trying to find and scoop up the mens or unisex pairs in desireable colors and styles.

So far, I've found the LGR Tangieri and LGR Sahara sunglasses for $60 for both. With AM Eyewear, I've found the Ava 3 and Noj 1. I find the AM Eyewear to be constructed very well and they are fitted with Zeiss lenses. I've also been finding Retrosuperfuture sunglasses for around 20$.

good lord where are you finding LGR in Marshalls! I'd spend every day there hunting if that was in my neighborhood. How often are you checking?!?

ramsker

Reaction score

GG Allin is a brand I am completely unaware of. Any details?

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He was referring to me, my screen name is "GG Allin", after the infamous singer.

These are the Jacques Marie mage frames I'm heavily considering at the moment.
1_Jagger_Alchymist_Front.jpg

ramsker

Reaction score
He was referring to me, my screen name is "GG Allin", after the infamous singer.

1_Jagger_Alchymist_Front.jpg

Ah, that went way over my head. Makes way more sense now.

jtj48

Reaction score

Don't have that particular pair, but I do have some JMM sunglasses. I'm not knowledgeable enough to weigh in on, like, subtle gradations of quality in sunglasses, if that's what you're looking for, but they seem well made to me and the materials all look and feel nice. I definitely wouldn't let a quality concern be a hold up. Get them if you like the style, think they'll suit your face/style (the ones you posted and most JMM frames are maybe a little loud and visually take up a lot of face space, they're big frames on most faces), and, you know, are willing to drop about a grand on sunglasses.

JChong8

Reaction score
good lord where are you finding LGR in Marshalls! I'd spend every day there hunting if that was in my neighborhood. How often are you checking?!?

I am currently living in Miami. Oh it's definitely a huge YMMV (your mileage may vary). Yesterday I checked about 8 locations and didn't find a damn thing lol. I guess I can't really be too upset as I've found about 7 pairs of high end sunglasses at around $30 a pair.

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't have that particular pair, but I do have some JMM sunglasses. I'm not knowledgeable enough to weigh in on, like, subtle gradations of quality in sunglasses, if that's what you're looking for, but they seem well made to me and the materials all look and feel nice. I definitely wouldn't let a quality concern be a hold up. Get them if you like the style, think they'll suit your face/style (the ones you posted and most JMM frames are maybe a little loud and visually take up a lot of face space, they're big frames on most faces), and, you know, are willing to drop about a grand on sunglasses.
Which JMM frame(s) do you have? I"ve actually got one pair currently, the Gonzo Dukes (the Hunter S Thompson ones), and they're definitely the loudest sunglasses I've bought thus far. Other than that, my other frames are all Dita, which is another pretty ostentatious brand.

Like you, I'm no expert on quality, but I'd agree that they're very well made, although the price probably reflects style and the marketing as well. I'm lookign to get a pair of the Jagger's posted above, as well as one of the wayfarerish ones, maybe the Molino 55's when they come out.

jtj48

Reaction score
Which JMM frame(s) do you have? I"ve actually got one pair currently, the Gonzo Dukes (the Hunter S Thompson ones), and they're definitely the loudest sunglasses I've bought thus far. Other than that, my other frames are all Dita, which is another pretty ostentatious brand.

Like you, I'm no expert on quality, but I'd agree that they're very well made, although the price probably reflects style and the marketing as well. I'm lookign to get a pair of the Jagger's posted above, as well as one of the wayfarerish ones, maybe the Molino 55's when they come out.

I've got a Taos pair (not sure if they're any different than other Taos models, but I got one of the pairs up on the Hopper Goods website) and a Dealan pair (which I guess are one of the wayfarerish models, but pretty cat-eyed, so maybe not the look you're going for), so no experience with those Jagger's or any other metal-framed models. I like those Jagger's though. Actually thinking about going with something like that, or, wait for it, a pair of Dita's next time I buy sunglasses so I'm not so all in on thick acetate-framed stuff.

Adroit

Reaction score
My wife really likes a pair of sunglasses made by Anne Valentin. Has anyone ever heard of this brand? How is the quality?

DSC_0879.JPG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads