• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Thread for Sunglasses (High End and Rarities Welcome)

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah this was my go to thread way back when. I didn't love Dita models, they just didnt speak to me. I have been browsing JMM as we speak to see what my next purchase will be! I've tried on or viewed online pretty much every model from Tsujigiri mentioned. I hadnt heard of JMM before though. Just curious if anything new had popped on the scene.
Sounds like we're in the same boat with regard to this thread! The Dita's are pretty out there, so they certainly won't be up everyone's alley. Did you look at the Morgenthal Frederics? I'm eyeing a pair of those at the moment as well.

BigRed

Reaction score
Sounds like we're in the same boat with regard to this thread! The Dita's are pretty out there, so they certainly won't be up everyone's alley. Did you look at the Morgenthal Frederics? I'm eyeing a pair of those at the moment as well.

I highly recommend Barton Perreira, I've worn them for years and have literally 20 pairs. I also like the new Mr. Leight sunglasses from Larry Leight (created Oliver Peoples) and his son Garrett Leight. Mykita is really nice as well but I'll be honest with you Jacques Marie Mage is on my radar and they make a great product. They're made really well and are numbered which is a cool touch. I like their acetate frames because they're a little on the chunky side. Very cool!

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I highly recommend Barton Perreira, I've worn them for years and have literally 20 pairs. I also like the new Mr. Leight sunglasses from Larry Leight (created Oliver Peoples) and his son Garrett Leight. Mykita is really nice as well but I'll be honest with you Jacques Marie Mage is on my radar and they make a great product. They're made really well and are numbered which is a cool touch. I like their acetate frames because they're a little on the chunky side. Very cool!
I actually have a pair of Barton Perreiras, that I picked up on deep discount some time back. They are nice, but strike me as a bit plain. I do like some of their models though. Which of the Jacques Marie Mages are you eyeing?

BigRed

Reaction score
I actually have a pair of Barton Perreiras, that I picked up on deep discount some time back. They are nice, but strike me as a bit plain. I do like some of their models though. Which of the Jacques Marie Mages are you eyeing?
I like the Dealan and the Molino for my face shape.

MGoCrimson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone comment on Linda Farrow quality? They do some interesting collabs

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the Dealan and the Molino for my face shape.
Those are both cool models. I personally like the Yves ones. You should buy some and then get back to us.
Can anyone comment on Linda Farrow quality? They do some interesting collabs
Funny you mention Linda Farrow, as I've been looking hard at those every since @Tsujigiri mentioned them. They look amazing. I'm debating between a few models:
linda-farrow-sunglasses-linda-farrow-lfl632-gold-gold-designer-eyes-0.jpg

LFL501C7SUN_2.jpg
lfl398c3sun_2.jpg

We need some information regarding the quality of this brand, in particular with regard to the lenses.

BigRed

Reaction score
Those are both cool models. I personally like the Yves ones. You should buy some and then get back to us.
Funny you mention Linda Farrow, as I've been looking hard at those every since @Tsujigiri mentioned them. They look amazing. I'm debating between a few models:
linda-farrow-sunglasses-linda-farrow-lfl632-gold-gold-designer-eyes-0.jpg

LFL501C7SUN_2.jpg
lfl398c3sun_2.jpg

We need some information regarding the quality of this brand, in particular with regard to the lenses.

If you can find a black pair of Dealan or Molino I’m in... Yves are too big for my face

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^I regret to say that I've been unable to find a pair of blacks in either of those frames among my bookmarks. I could've sworn I'd seen them before, but can't remember where. You might check out some of the European sites if paying unnecessary import duties doesn't bother you.

Tsujigiri

Reaction score
Sorry guys, been out a lot this week, so I might be a little slow to upload. But since people asked, Linda Farrow is brand that makes high quality eyewear and has some very avant garde offerings due to their collaborations with designers and unusual construction on some models. They are also one of the older high end optics companies, and have built a reputation on their unique style and quality.

Their luxe line features high end embellishments like precious metal platings or snakeskin covering, as seen on the model below. I haven't handled that much of the brand's lineup, but I can say from my example that the quality is what I would expect from a high end made in Japan frame. While I can't see the frame under the snakeskin, I can tell it is real acetate because I was able to bend and adjust it like a real acetate frame. It also appears that the rivets are pinned through the frame, a mark of quality. The lenses are not particularly special, but they do feature a very nice antireflective coating and have clear optics. The leather pouch is also one of the nicer ones I've seen.
DSC_0646.JPG

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those snakeskin frames are really nice. We need more Linda Farrow Appreciation in this thread. I'm on the verge of getting a pair of their aviators.

Tsujigiri

Reaction score
Leisure Society makes some of the finest sunglasses available, and my personal favorite for something a little “extra.” They have recently begun to offer more simplified models at a lower price point, but their main product line consists of gold plated titanium frames with integrated spring hinges and Japanese cotton acetate temples. I’ve found over the years collecting sunglasses that the ultra high end frames tend to sacrifice a little practicality in favor of exotic flair. Buffalo horn and wood frames lack adjustability and often have underdeveloped nosepads, sterling silver adorned frames are heavy, and frames with overly intricate construction can be a little finicky. Also, most of the brands that play in that market focus purely on the craftsmanship of the frame and throw in very basic lenses almost as an afterthought. LS is a rare exception in that their sunglasses are both highly refined and practical.

DSC_0898.JPG

LS’s founder has said in interviews that his lenses cost more to make than Tom Ford’s entire sunglasses. After using their product, I don’t doubt him. LS’s lenses are the best I have tried along with Salt Optics. In some cases, such as with their high contrast brown lens, I even prefer the LS lens over the equivalent Salt tint. Their lenses are made of CR39 for low chromatic aberration and come standard with polarization and antireflective coatings. Despite their high quality, I’ve found that they charge very reasonable prices for replacement lenses.

DSC_0900.JPG

LS’s frames are highly adjustable and comfortable due to their spring hinges. The temples are made of wire core acetate and can be formed to the user, and the nosepads can also be tweaked for a better fit. Although the frames are thicker than your run of the mill wire frames, they don’t feel too heavy on account of LS’s use of titanium. All their frames are gold plated in your choice of 12k white gold, 18k pale yellow gold, or 24k yellow gold. I suspect the plating is rather thick since the pricing is higher for the higher gold content 24k models.

DSC_0901.JPG

The details and embellishments on their frames are top notch. They manage to toe the line between being classy and lavish by emulating familiar silhouettes and reproducing them in a luxurious art deco style. Their frames are full of little details like engraved patterns, Windsor rims, and enamel inserts. They look expensive, but in an old world kind of way that I’ve found makes them stylistically versatile. The frames are made in Japan and serialized. Also, they come with the nicest cases I’ve owned yet. They’re hard cases made of leather with a magnetic closure and an internal elasticized pocket for the cleaning cloth.

DSC_0902.JPG

The high price of Leisure Society’s offerings can be a tough pill to swallow, but they do offer something unlike anything else I’ve seen on the market. Most of my really high end sunglasses only come out for special occasions for fear of damaging them, but I often find myself reaching for a pair of LS’s due to their high quality optics and comfort. I have found, however, that their lineup runs a little small, so if you need or want larger frames like I do you may want to try on their lineup in person.

DSC_0899.JPG

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Tsujigiri (or anyone else): do you have any tips on cleaning sunglass lenses? I'm seeing various conflicting methods on the internet.

I really like how those brown lenses look on the Leisure Societies you posted. I might have to track some of those down. I'm still debating picking up a pair of Linda Farrow aviators, though I'm wondering if they may be overhyped (and hence overpriced). I'm also looking really hard at a couple Morgenthal Frederics models.

Tsujigiri

Reaction score
@Tsujigiri (or anyone else): do you have any tips on cleaning sunglass lenses? I'm seeing various conflicting methods on the internet.

I really like how those brown lenses look on the Leisure Societies you posted. I might have to track some of those down. I'm still debating picking up a pair of Linda Farrow aviators, though I'm wondering if they may be overhyped (and hence overpriced). I'm also looking really hard at a couple Morgenthal Frederics models.

I just make sure to only use microfiber cloth and not to apply too much pressure, which can grind abrasive particles into the lens and cause scratches. If there are some smudges that won't come off with light pressure I wet the cleaning cloth a little. I haven't really had a need for any of those cleaning solutions you see advertised.

Leisure Society's brown is my favorite in my collection along with an Oliver Peoples glass tint (but they're not as consistent, I've had brown lenses from them that weren't great). Morgenthal is more focused on the frames, some really nice detailing in that range if you like that art deco style that both brands have. I'd take a look at Matsuda and Dita, too, they have some models with similar design language.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads