• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Thread for Sunglasses (High End and Rarities Welcome)

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are your favorite club master style sunglasses? Considering th JMM Apache, but maybe I should diversify a bit...

JMM Comanche and JMM Sartre...

Inis Meáin Mist Tunic_JMM Comanche Noir.jpg

JMM Sartre_Valstarino Black_Car Selfie Undershot.jpg

LucasFilms

Reaction score
When the brand is at its best, they produce some clean and precise pieces that are well-balanced proportionally and have good quality throughout. In my opinion, there isn't a better pair of classic aviators out there than the Benedicts. The solder points are immaculate and the frames are even. These feature Oliver Peoples' VFX glass lenses, and are polarized with an antireflective coating on the back. The lenses have a logo that appears when the lenses are fogged up, to verify authenticity. These lenses are among the best I've used. Clarity is excellent and the tint is an unusual brown that produces very high contrast.

Have you purchased Oliver Peoples metal frames recently? Do you think the quality is the same as years before?

LucasFilms

Reaction score
In the last month I have been visiting a few eyewear shops in Barcelona. They are all under-stocked. They have barely product to show and try, and it is baffling that they carry medium and high end brands and they have maybe 5 to 10% of the catalogue, and all the rest you have to pay for in advance (without right to return them) and order without being able to try....

Well, anyway... I had the chance to try Lindberg frames, which are not that usual here, not so many shops carry them. They were nice, but very expensive, in my opinion, specially because some frames need a special kind of reduced lenses (the optician said "double spheric" or something like that). Those are the frames that looked more unique to me within the Lindberg range; the frames cost 400 euros. The only problem being that those "special" lenses cost like 440 euros (the pair), just to fit lenses with 1,75 shortsightedness... this is.. generally cheap lenses. So glasses would cost 840 euros which is just ridiculous....

Lindberg had other frames that were made of some sort of polycarbonate (its not acetate) with titanium temples. These run for 400 euros too (frames) but normal Zeiss lenses can be fit there at they would be like 140 the pair maybe... so this looked like a better option, although less "unique".

Then I tried to have a look at Titanium Oliver Peoples frames... I say I "tried" to have a look because none of the eyewear shops had any made in Japan titanium on stock. Apparently, this is NOT selling well in Spain... they also had a very limited range of other options for this brand.

An optician told me that havana, cocobolo etc colours of Oliver Peoples acetate is unique and that other brands cannot replicate it easily because OPs buy the acetate at some place and they buy the whole production... well, this was interesting, as I was trying the Cary Grant sun (too big for me) and it had a very nice burgundy colour.

Anyway, I am black-haired so havana colours etc is quite irrelevant to me, as I try to go for other options but end up almost always purchasing black frames and here I do not see a big difference between brands.

Actually I liked this transparent frame a lot, and the metal core inside the acetate has a drawing and looked very good... but I was wondering if it was worth paying like 375 euros for it when there are tons of cheaper transparent acetate options from different brands:

I liked this one too, but it was not available at the shop to try and was wondering how it would look like in reality:

Interestingly, the Desmon sun above says this on the code:

1654255510260.png

However on the webpage it says "50-21"... so it is confusing and I do not really know what's the real size.

The Desmon is also listed in Washed Lapis colour for the eyeglass:

1654255625045.png

And on Dark Blue VSB for the sunglass. But the frame looks exactly the same. The price is different due to the sunglass lenses etc but I do not need those as I will need prescription sun lenses on them:

1654255708997.png

So the experience of purchasing sunglasses right now is just incredibly frustrating, as opticians are NOT helpful at all, they do not have product available and the information on the websites of most brands is limited, contradictory or confusing.

I just meant to be informative for others, in case someone finds this helpful. And anyway and accurate depiction of how things are going...

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which eyewear shops did you visit in BCN?

LucasFilms

Reaction score
Which eyewear shops did you visit in BCN?

I went to Llobet, Cottet, Óptica Toscana, DM Optics, Bassol, Diferoptics etc

I am very surprised there are not more sunglasses and eyeglasses available to try, that eyewear shops are so under-stocked. Those eyewear shop have a very limited portion of the catalogue for the brands they carry.

By the way, the Oliver Peoples Desmon glasses I posted in my message have gone up in price during the last week. I guess inflation is reaching all products..

Last year I also went to Veni Vidi Vinci, which had a greater array of models to try, and the guy from the shop was really helpful. I bought sunglasses there. Attention was excellent. But this year I was looking for a different brand they do not carry..

Where do you buy your glasses in Barcelona? Do you always try glasses before purchasing?

When ordering glasses without having tried them first, how do you know the size will be right?

I have found the Oliver Peoples website really confusing when it comes to sizes. For instance I own these glasses, which are really small, but the website presents them as size L:

So I would like to get these but I do not know if they are too big, and I could not try them:

Last edited:

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have only bought from Optica Toscana in Bcn (JMM). L'Atelier Optica Madrid (Dita+JMM), OP in their shop in Madrid, Samot in Santander (JMM). The rest of my collection from different shops in Europe via Internet (some with return policy).

LucasFilms

Reaction score
I have only bought from Optica Toscana in Bcn (JMM). L'Atelier Optica Madrid (Dita+JMM), OP in their shop in Madrid, Samot in Santander (JMM). The rest of my collection from different shops in Europe via Internet (some with return policy).

I am definitely going to visit L'Atelier Optica when I'm in Madrid.

By the way, do you know this brand?:

There's an eyewear shop in Girona that carry Lesca... I would like to see those glasses. They look good!

LucasFilms

Reaction score
In the end I bought Moscot Miltzen sunglasses.

I used to wear rectangular shaped glasses and now am buying some round frames. I also bought the Tom Ford Declan, which is roundish with a metallic frame.

HollyJoint

Reaction score
I'm looking for small round sunglasses.
I have a thin face and almost everything looks big on me.
To give you an idea the 50mm wayfarers are slightly too big.
Something with 47mm or 48mm dimensions do you recommend any?

LucasFilms

Reaction score

This is refreshing question on eyewear, since I see that in Styleforum some brands are just being promoted, like JMM... so it's nice to read your genuine question about eyewear.

Purchasing round glasses is also on my list so I have done some research. If I were you, I would consider purchasing prescription round glasses in order to have more options and fitting sun lenses on them...

Nathalie Blanc "Julien" frame is size 44 and very nice. It's acetate, made in France. I have tried that frame and may purchase it next year. It is transparent with a blue and brown tint, very very nice.

Lesca has a lot of very nice-looking round frames. Disclaimer: I have only seen the glasses online, never seen them in person, so here I am talking about how the glasses look online but I have not checked the quality.

Mykita makes nice sound frames, acetate with metallic arms. There are a few options...

There are many round frames that are size 46 and smaller. I think the standard is around size 44 - 46.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty much anything from Moscot's line

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads