• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Thread for Sunglasses (High End and Rarities Welcome)

JDelage

Reaction score
Where can I find the best prices on SALT sunglasses please? Considering the Francisco but unwilling to pay the $500+ tag...

Thank you.

LucasFilms

Reaction score
If you had to choose a titanium frame, what would be your choice, which brand?

Does anyone know if titanium frames "made in Japan" (Oliver Peoples, Dita etc) are manufactured by the same producer? Do they all come from the same company or factory?

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does anyone know if titanium frames "made in Japan" (Oliver Peoples, Dita etc) are manufactured by the same producer? Do they all come from the same company or factory?
I have Leisure Society and two JMMs in titanium.
Also a couple of sporty Aviators by Roka.
Out of all I love my LS

LucasFilms

Reaction score
I have Leisure Society and two JMMs in titanium.
Also a couple of sporty Aviators by Roka.
Out of all I love my LS

The Leisure Society sunglasses look good! I did not know that brand. I have to find a retailer in Barcelona :)

Tsujigiri

Reaction score
Where can I find the best prices on SALT sunglasses please? Considering the Francisco but unwilling to pay the $500+ tag...

Thank you.

Cheapest by far would be their annual sample sales, but those are hit and miss if you're looking for something specific. Otherwise they pop up in various places here and there.

My favorites are Leisure Society for titanium. They now have a variety including both the original blocky titanium frames with spring hinges and the more minimal ones with traditional hinges, but all of them are a few steps up from a normal titanium frame.

It's essentially one town in Japan that specializes in eyewear and has a few factories manufacturing for a number of brands. Kind of like Seki City is for knives. Supposedly this was started by Masunaga, which I think is the only brand that would be entirely "in-house." The story is that the founder wanted to create a guild of sorts in that city that would make the best frames in the world, so if an employee did particularly well he would help them set up their own neighboring factory.

LucasFilms

Reaction score
Cheapest by far would be their annual sample sales, but those are hit and miss if you're looking for something specific. Otherwise they pop up in various places here and there.

My favorites are Leisure Society for titanium. They now have a variety including both the original blocky titanium frames with spring hinges and the more minimal ones with traditional hinges, but all of them are a few steps up from a normal titanium frame.

It's essentially one town in Japan that specializes in eyewear and has a few factories manufacturing for a number of brands. Kind of like Seki City is for knives. Supposedly this was started by Masunaga, which I think is the only brand that would be entirely "in-house." The story is that the founder wanted to create a guild of sorts in that city that would make the best frames in the world, so if an employee did particularly well he would help them set up their own neighboring factory.

Thanks! I liked the blocky titanium frames of LS.

I find Lindberg frames very minimal..

Terry Mac's 'Tache

Reaction score

Leisure Society is the highest overall quality that I have encountered. Will surely get a couple more frames in future.

rattyray

Reaction score
Hi everyone, how would you compare Leisure Society quality to Jacques Marie Mage? I've only had JMM in hand

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, how would you compare Leisure Society quality to Jacques Marie Mage? I've only had JMM in hand
I just posted these on the JMM thread.
Leisure Society Cortez …

061D0C0F-5E4E-4BA7-9DFE-C1C5C57F6513.jpeg

And JMM Seberg …

A4FB4C99-1B0A-446E-8164-92976C928408.jpeg

I also have JMM Comanche in titanium. Like a rectangular clubmaster style with silver coloured frames with ‘reserve’ (dark burgundy) plastic brow bar and blue lenses.

Put simply I think JMMs are the kings of chunky acetate but LS are the kings of titanium. I love my two titanium JMMs but the LS seem so much more robust and the spring hinges make them able to fit well, no slipping, without a lot of farting about with bending etc. The Cortez are at the lower end of LS prices (still more than JMM by a couple of C notes!) but I love the metal Wayfarer-ish shape which is very versatile and love the flat, uncurved lenses.

Hope that’s useful!

astroboy

Reaction score
The first one (Leisure Society Cortez) is much better look in your face.

astroboy

Reaction score
Same same, but different. A Randolph Intruder IR004 vs. Ray-Ban Caravan RB3136 001:

Attachments

• randolph_intruder-rayban_caravan-001-qr.jpg
    randolph_intruder-rayban_caravan-001-qr.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 54
  • randolph_intruder-rayban_caravan-002-qr.jpg
    randolph_intruder-rayban_caravan-002-qr.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 48
  • randolph_intruder-rayban_caravan-003-qr.jpg
    randolph_intruder-rayban_caravan-003-qr.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 44
  • randolph_intruder-rayban_caravan-004-qr.jpg
    randolph_intruder-rayban_caravan-004-qr.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 42
  • randolph_intruder-rayban_caravan-005-qr.jpg
    randolph_intruder-rayban_caravan-005-qr.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 40
  • randolph_intruder-rayban_caravan-006-qr.jpg
    randolph_intruder-rayban_caravan-006-qr.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 42
  • randolph_intruder-rayban_caravan-007-qr.jpg
    randolph_intruder-rayban_caravan-007-qr.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 41
  • randolph_intruder-008-qr.jpg
    randolph_intruder-008-qr.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 40
  • rayban_caravan-009-qr.jpg
    rayban_caravan-009-qr.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 45
  • randolph_intruder-010-qr.jpg
    randolph_intruder-010-qr.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 41
  • rayban_caravan-011-qr.jpg
    rayban_caravan-011-qr.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 42
  • randolph_intruder-012-qr.jpg
    randolph_intruder-012-qr.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 97
  • rayban_caravan-013-qr.jpg
    rayban_caravan-013-qr.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 152

LucasFilms

Reaction score
I am planning on getting these ones: the model is Tom Ford 5664-B.

These are the first round glasses I buy, and was wondering what could be other options of acetate round glasses, maybe with end pieces (the part where the Tom Ford brand mark is) that stick out less... that are less evident..

1652853882944.png

JDelage

Reaction score
What are your favorite club master style sunglasses? Considering th JMM Apache, but maybe I should diversify a bit...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads