• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Thread for Sunglasses (High End and Rarities Welcome)

ramsker

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with Akoni sunglasses? Not the models made for Balmain; rather, Akoni's own line.

Not yet, but as I'm sure you know, it's got Jeff Solario and John Juniper from Dita behind it. I'm sure it's top notch.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How is the quality of the lenses that Moscot mounts?. I ordered a pair of Lemtosh in Ruby (wanted to change the colour of the lenses to a Blue Denim tint but is was crazy 172 € surcharge ) that have yet to arrive. I wonder why most of these reputate companies do not offer much more info about their lenses like Maui Jims and Serengueti do (ordered two new ultra light mineral polarized lens models); their web pages are very informative for people like me who is entering into this hobbie .

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer glass lenses when possible. I have three Moscots and they’re all glass. I’m not an expert in lensology but it’s always been my belief that glass (mineral) lenses are the best as they don’t have the susceptibility to visual ‘dead spots’ (not a technical term!) and are more resistant to surface scratches.
There are a variety of plastic / polycarbonate lenses which I believe are easier to tint in a wider range of colours etc and as technology improves they are getting closer to the clarity of glass. They also weigh less than glass lenses.
Anyway I’m not sure I’m tuned into the micro quality neediness of lenses but I have no problems with the Moscots I have. Happy to be corrected if I didn’t express the above accurately!

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks @Thin White Duke. My Moscot in ruby (Serengeti Amboy in red striky acetate is another nice pair too in a similar colour but more sportive) has arrived and I will pick them up this weekend. I am no expert by no means so would like to know more about quality lenses as it seems that lenses tecnology has improve a lot lately (or maybe is pure marketing?). On the other hand, I read that some makers produce their own lenses in house (Maui, Serengueti, Vuarnet...) and other makers just buy them from manufactures like Barberini, Zeiss, Essilor...It could be really nice if @Tsujigiri or some other member with expertise in the industry chime in a enlighten us with updated information. Cheers.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really happy with the sunnies. They fit me really well and lenses are pretty good.

20210703_125533.jpg 20210703_125437.jpg 20210703_125354.jpg

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the look of those.
I’d heard about Moscot somewhere and saw their Lemtosh model as a pretty close version of Cary Grant’s NXNW glasses. I blundered into the shop by accident when I was in New York and they have a fantastic selection. Didn’t like the Lemtosh versions they had so left, got a block away and turned back, ended up getting a pair of Hyman in emerald green. I love these shades.
1625324047101.jpeg
1625324047101.jpeg

I even had a pair of JMM Fitzgerald’s in sage but sold them on cos I reckoned I didn’t need two pairs of green glasses and while the JMMs were a tasty pair I always favoured these.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are really nice. I saw them maybe in another thread?. I have covered the green colour with a pair of JMM Walker in rover. Ruby is a really nice colour to wear too (I would say easier than green), darker than JMM maraschino colour, so less fancy. I am glad I pulled the trigger with them instead of these Serengueti model (Amboy) which I really like too but it shows a rather sportive shape (the olive colour is still on my mind).

Screenshot_20210703-180637_Chrome.jpg
I have purchased two polarized pairs (aviators with green lenses and a pair of new drivers) of Serenguetis for summer time but there is no stock available in most of the EU retailers so I will have to wait at least 15 days.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are really nice. I saw them maybe in another thread?. I have covered the green colour with a pair of JMM Walker in rover. Ruby is a really nice colour to wear too (I would say easier than green), darker than JMM maraschino colour, so less fancy. I am glad I pulled the trigger with them instead of these Serengueti model (Amboy) which I really like too but it shows a rather sportive shape (the olive colour is still on my mind).

View attachment 1634084
I have purchased two polarized pairs (aviators with green lenses and a pair of new drivers) of Serenguetis for summer time but there is no stock available in most of the EU retailers so I will have to wait at least 15 days.
Yeah your reds look better than these.
I’ll take another look at rubys next time I get to NYC. That Moscot shop is a minefield if you don’t wanna spend any dough. I also have Neff in blonde, Lemtosh in limited dark blonde, and Fritz in tortoise black. Then the Vuarnet shop is right round the corner too!

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After trying to find a model of my liking in Europe without much success, I finally had to reach Leisure Society directly and pulled the trigger with a pair of titanium Oceanic shades this afternoon. They have been in my head for a while, so I first checked their Insta in hope of some good retailers in this side of the pont and to see better pics of the sunnies to have a better idea (strangely I did not even find any pic of people wearing them in the web). It seems that this company does not like retail distribution at all and its go to market strategy is to sell through their website. For the price I paid (yikes!), they better fit me like a glove and suit my face, style and ego . I will post some pics once they arrive, of course. Fingers crossed.

m0butt

Reaction score
Best lens replacement sites? I have a pair of sunglasses that I’ve essentially destroyed lol.

Reaction score
After trying to find a model of my liking in Europe without much success, I finally had to reach Leisure Society directly and pulled the trigger with a pair of titanium Oceanic shades this afternoon. They have been in my head for a while, so I first checked their Insta in hope of some good retailers in this side of the pont and to see better pics of the sunnies to have a better idea (strangely I did not even find any pic of people wearing them in the web). It seems that this company does not like retail distribution at all and its go to market strategy is to sell through their website. For the price I paid (yikes!), they better fit me like a glove and suit my face, style and ego . I will post some pics once they arrive, of course. Fingers crossed.
That's awesome, I think you will really like them. Both my LS have been super comfortable, and the metal construction on them is like no other brand

m0butt

Reaction score
My 2 pick ups came in today. Kind of torn on the Matsudas. Love the JMMs.

Attachments

• AB8782CC-5E5C-4480-8D89-834A964F493E.jpeg
    AB8782CC-5E5C-4480-8D89-834A964F493E.jpeg
    350.3 KB · Views: 127

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve come to the same conclusion about LS and their selling policy. The few comments on here by those who have got a pair have seemed very complimentary. I may have to follow your lead and just get a pair from the site. I believe they have a no BS return policy. Looking forward to your update.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads