• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Thread for Sunglasses (High End and Rarities Welcome)

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s an impressive collection there - I thought I was in trouble but have only around half of your amount!
No JMM?
Returning to the LS question, do you have a dealer near you where you could try them on or did you gamble over the internet or take advantage of their return policy?

Tsujigiri

Reaction score
That’s an impressive collection there - I thought I was in trouble but have only around half of your amount!
No JMM?
Returning to the LS question, do you have a dealer near you where you could try them on or did you gamble over the internet or take advantage of their return policy?

Thank you! I haven't had a chance to try out JMM yet, but the pictures people have been posting in this thread make me think I'll have to seek them out. I actually live near the Leisure Society headquarters in Costa Mesa (Salt Optics is a few blocks over); I got all but 4 of my pairs directly from them. That being said, I do gamble with other brands since I've gotten used to buying and selling pairs that I run across. If I order an oddball pair at a good price that ends up not fitting, I can just sell it off. That approach might not work for everyone, but sunglasses are kind of an obsession of mine and this lets me try out a lot of brands and styles I wouldn't otherwise be able to.

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tsujigir: what are the yellow lens ones on the far left three up from the bottom?

Tsujigiri

Reaction score
Has anyone been to the JMM headquarters? They say they're based in Los Angeles, but I can't find an address or if they're open to the public.

Tsujigir: what are the yellow lens ones on the far left three up from the bottom?

It's the Mykita X Kostas Murkudis Phineas! Can't find a photo of the full array of colorways for that model, but below is the the more rounded Elektra from the same capsule and in the same colorways:

occhiali_784x0.jpg

Keith Taylor

Reaction score
I’m usually a classic Wayfarer guy, but a few weeks ago Christopher Cloos sent me a review sample of their St. Barths aviators with a double bridge and a weird, transparent champagne frame. They’re nicely made. CR39 lenses, a well balanced weight and spring hinges that, as Cloos claim, “fold like the doors of a sports car”. They kinda do, and I’d expect no less when they’re asking $200+ and spending at least 25% of the sticker price to have Tom Brady advertise them.

Right away I hated these ugly ass things. I just couldn’t get on board with the transparent frame, and I’ve never been a fan of a double bridge. I gladly gave them to my wife to score husband points, but as she wore them on a shopping trip something unexpected happened. I started to like them. Really like them.

It turns out that the transparent frame that looks dog ugly indoors really starts to work when you get them out in the sunlight. In the shade they just look beige, the colour of disappointment, but when the light hits them they glow gold and it starts to make sense.

I was full of regret for handing them over, but after a couple of days I was saved by the fact that my wife has the typical Asian bridge, which is pretty much no bridge at all, and the glasses were sliding down her face. I put on my best Oscar worthy sad face and reluctantly took them back, and now they may be my favourite sunglasses :)

0F6D9048-726D-465F-B4FE-589F3ABFC795.png

C12293E7-0096-47CC-9E93-16E53664D9A9.png

D857BF2B-A6CF-46BD-9AEA-045B300914ED.jpeg

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. How do you get a review sample - I want in on that!!
2. These look really good in the pic. I mentioned before I have Dita Spacecraft which aren’t a million miles away in colour and style.
3. If you change your mind again I’ll be happy to “review” them for you!!

Keith Taylor

Reaction score
1. How do you get a review sample - I want in on that!!
2. These look really good in the pic. I mentioned before I have Dita Spacecraft which aren’t a million miles away in colour and style.
3. If you change your mind again I’ll be happy to “review” them for you!!

I’m a member of the Amazon Vine review program, so I get sent all sorts of goodies that fill every inch of my apartment and strain my wife’s patience :) I usually review electronics and basic household stuff, but every so often I get the chance to chance to try something like these sunglasses, which are well above my budget if I were cracking open my own wallet. I’ve also had a couple of nice Seikos, and late last year they sent me seven Alpinas that are going to keep my wrist looking good until I die. Not gonna lie, it’s a pretty cushy gig :)

P.S. Oh wow, I just took a look at the Dita Spacecraft. Pretty badass. They look a little like the steampunk version of the St. Barths.

ave.joe

Reaction score
Does anyone know what Tucci is wearing here? They look so familiar but I cant place them.

Attachments

• tucci.png
    tucci.png
    2 MB · Views: 187

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Updated collection... I've tried to keep it varied, but I keep coming back to Leisure Society, Mykita, IC! Berlin, and Salt Optics. LS is the current favorite with 17 pairs in the collection, but Mykita and IC! Berlin are hard to beat for comfort and durability.

View attachment 1596507
Hey Tsujigiri, I got a couple more inquiries of you: far left side, seventh row, with the rose colored lenses, and then the ones two to the right, in the exact middle with brownish lenses. Appreciate it.

Also, I'm surprised, and kinda respect that you haven't dipped into JMM yet, given your collection. I recommend you take a look at the jaggers and the Reynolds if you get a chance.

Reaction score
I am really impressed with LS customer service. I inquired about getting lenses changed in my keen frame and within a day I already had an invoice ready and paid, lenses picked out and another minor request put in. Surprisingly it's only $90 to send your frames in and they will cut new lenses in your choice of color, install them, and ship them back. I also ordered one of the folding cases to compare with the older rectangular ones.

Tsujigiri

Reaction score
Hey Tsujigiri, I got a couple more inquiries of you: far left side, seventh row, with the rose colored lenses, and then the ones two to the right, in the exact middle with brownish lenses. Appreciate it.

Also, I'm surprised, and kinda respect that you haven't dipped into JMM yet, given your collection. I recommend you take a look at the jaggers and the Reynolds if you get a chance.

7th row from the top? They're more of a brown gradient than a rose lens, but it's the platinum plated Mykita Rolf they released for their 5th anniversary along with a coffee table photobook. They made a lot of other colorways, but the platinum ones were limited to 100 pairs and I was lucky enough to find #1 out of 100. The one in the middle is the Leisure Society Cavallet in 18k with the Windsor rim.

Looking through their site, they've got a really distinctive style; I'm already a fan. I just worry that a lot of them could be too small for my face. Probably not an issue with the Jaggers; I'll have to figure out where they are in LA since I drive through that area all the time.

I am really impressed with LS customer service. I inquired about getting lenses changed in my keen frame and within a day I already had an invoice ready and paid, lenses picked out and another minor request put in. Surprisingly it's only $90 to send your frames in and they will cut new lenses in your choice of color, install them, and ship them back. I also ordered one of the folding cases to compare with the older rectangular ones.

I'm surprised by this as well; every other high end sunglass brand I've asked about replacement lenses charges more than Leisure Society, even though the LS lenses are far higher quality. LS charged me the same amount for some Savoye lenses, which I was dreading buying replacements for since I thought the unusual base curve and nylor grooving would drive up the price. There's an interview somewhere where the LS founder says their lenses cost more to make than an entire pair of Tom Ford sunglasses. Maybe they see lenses as more of a customer support thing than a moneymaker.

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
7th row from the top? They're more of a brown gradient than a rose lens, but it's the platinum plated Mykita Rolf they released for their 5th anniversary along with a coffee table photobook. They made a lot of other colorways, but the platinum ones were limited to 100 pairs and I was lucky enough to find #1 out of 100. The one in the middle is the Leisure Society Cavallet in 18k with the Windsor rim.

Looking through their site, they've got a really distinctive style; I'm already a fan. I just worry that a lot of them could be too small for my face. Probably not an issue with the Jaggers; I'll have to figure out where they are in LA since I drive through that area all the time.

I'm surprised by this as well; every other high end sunglass brand I've asked about replacement lenses charges more than Leisure Society, even though the LS lenses are far higher quality. LS charged me the same amount for some Savoye lenses, which I was dreading buying replacements for since I thought the unusual base curve and nylor grooving would drive up the price. There's an interview somewhere where the LS founder says their lenses cost more to make than an entire pair of Tom Ford sunglasses. Maybe they see lenses as more of a customer support thing than a moneymaker.
Thanks a lot. Those Rolfs look really nice. I've looked at those online before, but find it hard to identify frames simply by sight. I've only been able to find a black pair on eBay of the Phineas, but I'm gonna be on the lookout for those for sure.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads