• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Thread for Sunglasses (High End and Rarities Welcome)

Adroit

Reaction score
Ugh... FedEx tells me the FDA is holding the glasses until I can provide them with a drop ball test certificate...

I had never heard of that before your post, but thereafter looked it up. How do you go about obtaining such a certificate?

JDelage

Reaction score
A specific person at FedEx emailed me so I fwd'ed her email to both JMM and the retailer. They both responded right away and JMM tells me they sent the information directly to the FedEx person. Hopefully that will be it. I'm very impressed the the reactivity of JMM and Niche Market I have to say.

JDelage

Reaction score
What are people's favorite aviators (or navigators if you really want a square version)?

ramsker

Reaction score
What are people's favorite aviators (or navigators if you really want a square version)?

A few of my favorites.

Native Sons Thompson
3f775b6f7b162c725cd4becb2eecef1c.jpg
Mr Leight Doheny
large_mr-leight-brown-doheny-sl54-aviator-style-acetate-and-metal-sunglasses-3.jpg

Salt x Aether Scout - I have yet to get my hands on these though..

salt-x-aether-scout-sunglasses-02.jpg

Adroit

Reaction score

I personally prefer square navigators over traditional aviators -- never been a fan of the traditional aviator shape.

Randolph Engineering makes a decent product at a reasonable price -- I own a 55 with a black frame and blue lenses. Linda Farrow makes some interesting aviators and navigators. My current favorite in my stable is the Thom Browne TBS 907-50-02 (made by Dita).

1595697741845.png

1595697773723.png

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Duke or Peyote? I like the Duke frames better, but the glass seems a bit light.
I have the duke's, which are very big. Personally, I like my Jaggers the best, and am seriously thinking of ordering a pair of Reynolds too. Not sure if those qualify as aviators though.

I also really like my Linda Farrow aviators, and recommend you look at those too. Also, although slightly out of favor in the forum currently among some, I really dig my Dita flight 004's with polarized lenses.

Mike80

Reaction score
I've always been a big fan of aviators. In my opinion, the best metal frames are made by Leisure Society. And if you like small-sized aviators, Clairaut is a great choice.
clairaut_blk.jpg

Dkzf5UCXgAE95IV (1).jpg

If it is too expensive (1500$ for a pair), Mr. Leight has a couple of good avitors. Doheny, already mentioned above:
mrl-ml4001-plt-cw-alp_0003_2000x.jpg

DohenySL-productslideshow-2.jpg
and Ichi S
mrl-ml4006-mpl-atg-mpl-brnglssplr_0003_800x.jpg

Ichi_S-editorial1 (1).jpg

Among square ones I think Mykita mmcraft013 is great.
mykita-m-mm-sun-mmcraft013-matte-silver-raw-green-solid-1509514-p-2IwPz7Z39xwHIK.jpg

46706261kk_14_a.jpg

What do people think of ic! berlin's *titanium* frames? They look like they use the same hinge system as their famous stainless sunglasses, only in titanium...
They are just a little bit better than their stainless steel frames. At first they started to sell them as a separate brand ONONO, but it seems that the idea didn't work and now it is just Ic Berlin Titanium. They are just a little bit lighter and have a clip in the hinge that is printed from some plastic that makes the hinge move smoother.
Actually, I think the Ic Berlin 's hinge is the best in the industry. It is very durable, you can disassemble the frame without any tools and you don't need to tighten the screws, like in normal glasses. Mykita's and Lindberg's screwless hinges are inferior, in my opinion.
Unfortunately, the guys at Ic Berlin seems not to care about the lens quality. From this point of view their sunglasses are not so great. And the design of most of their frames is quite unimaginative, to be honest.

I like IC! Berlin and have two pairs. That said, for contemporary, unadorned titanium sunglasses with simple, clean lines, I personally prefer Mykita, Lindberg, and Orgreen,
Mykita unfortunately doesn't make titanium frames. They are probably trying to safe a few dollars in the production costs.

Attachments

• 46706261kk_14_f.jpg
    46706261kk_14_f.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 82

JDelage

Reaction score
Mykita has some cool navigator designs, e.g., Caleb, Ian, Yuuto, Wilder, all with their Polarized Pro lense. The Caleb looks too be halfway between a navigator and an aviator.

ramsker

Reaction score
Mykita has some cool navigator designs, e.g., Caleb, Ian, Yuuto, Wilder, all with their Polarized Pro lense. The Caleb looks too be halfway between a navigator and an aviator.

Really want to try out their new "Polarized Pro" lens.

JDelage

Reaction score
A specific person at FedEx emailed me so I fwd'ed her email to both JMM and the retailer. They both responded right away and JMM tells me they sent the information directly to the FedEx person. Hopefully that will be it. I'm very impressed the the reactivity of JMM and Niche Market I have to say.
Well, the FDA (or maybe FedEx) took their sweet little time and the frames were only released today. They should be in Seattle Tuesday, and of course I'm gone for the week.

So, to the Americans here: if you order a pair from abroad, make sure you get the shipper to include the drop ball test certificate with the customs paperwork (that is, *outside* the box).

JDelage

Reaction score
I don't know what's wrong with the Matsuda M3038 but there's a number of them on eBay these days...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads