• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Thread for Sunglasses (High End and Rarities Welcome)

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TVR's from Japan. They are out being lensed right now. I love them. Very slight wood grain to the finish.
Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 1.01.16 PM.png

JChong8

Reaction score
Didn’t post these yet but was quite happy finding these. I actually goofed at first and left them because all that I’ve read about Bausch and Lomb Ray Bans said that lenses should be engraved BL and on aviator models, the frame was engraved “B&L RAY BAN USA”. I ran into this pair of classic gold frame aviators in 58mm (probably the most classic and desirable sized RB Aviator) but the top of the frame just said RAY BAN kind of faint. There was absolutely no engraving whatsoever on the frame either and no sight of BL. Even under the nose bridge is supposed to have gold filling and B&L stamp and nothing. It was there but had tarnish on the gold plating so it wasn’t legible.

Long story short. I went home and realized I made a F up and just hoped they would still be at the store tomorrow. Rushed back the next morning after the store had still been open like 5-6 hours after I left the previous day. They were still there!

1937-1950 WW2 era 12K gold aviators with Bakelite nose pads and ear pieces, marked only RAY BAN on the top brow bar. These are essentially one of the first Ray Bans ever released. Either the very first run or the second run. The latest they Are dated is 70 years and the earliest would be 83 years.

1E262124-AC3D-48D9-84E6-AFEA25438AB9.jpeg
164E1F9C-5B78-423C-A68F-C323B5500EE9.jpeg
BEC92B29-3D87-4EA4-85FF-D0EBF8EACF94.jpeg
BC09E850-DC3C-45BB-B448-9F7240FBC92C.jpeg
41DDCF1E-C7F1-4FBF-84EA-282ADC9A4F61.jpeg
4A96D98E-2970-4BE7-81E6-447D21AF2CF2.png
D5483D7E-D373-4476-815D-F169E4644391.jpeg

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TVR's from Japan. They are out being lensed right now. I love them. Very slight wood grain to the finish.
View attachment 1413900
I like the look of these.
They look similar to my Oliver Peoples, in dark red but also a slight woodgrain named ‘burgundy bark’ -

I wrote about my Randolphs here ...
03880619-2838-413C-975A-F48EF829627B.jpeg

papillo

Reaction score
JMM Sandros

4wutZVl.jpg

Also got a pair of DITA Flight 006's that I am using as reading glasses for now.
ZYQ4jAx.jpg

konstantis

Reaction score
Hi to all the members. Could any advise me the quality of JMM sunglasses in comparison to Ic! Berlin? Thanks in advance.

Sartorium

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a good place to look for out-of-manufacture sunglasses other than the typical grailed/ebay hunting? I am looking for a specific pair, fairly mass-market and five years out of date.

Adroit

Reaction score
Hi to all the members. Could any advise me the quality of JMM sunglasses in comparison to Ic! Berlin? Thanks in advance.

Ic! Berlin manufacturers top quality sunglasses. That said, they are not on a par with JMM.

Ic! Berlin employs patented screw-less hinges that connect thin, flat temples to thin, largely flat frames. The result is a very lightweight pair of sunglasses. However, the hinge is not robust nor smooth/firm in operation. Ic! Berlin uses titanium for certain of its frames, but many are made with stainless steel. Ic! Berlin's acetate is uninspiring.

JMM's hinges are far more robust and smooth/firm as compared to Ic! Berlin. The beta-titanium used by JMM is stellar. JMM's 10mm acetate is in another league as compared to Ic! Berlin's acetate. JMM's finishing is also superior to Ic! Berlin.

I have two pairs of Ic! Berlins and they work great as lightweight, easy-to-wear sunglasses. That said, if you make a side-by-side comparison of Ic! Berlin to JMM -- I just did before typing this -- JMM's quality is palpably better.

konstantis

Reaction score
Ic! Berlin manufacturers top quality sunglasses. That said, they are not on a par with JMM.

Ic! Berlin employs patented screw-less hinges that connect thin, flat temples to thin, largely flat frames. The result is a very lightweight pair of sunglasses. However, the hinge is not robust nor smooth/firm in operation. Ic! Berlin uses titanium for certain of its frames, but many are made with stainless steel. Ic! Berlin's acetate is uninspiring.

JMM's hinges are far more robust and smooth/firm as compared to Ic! Berlin. The beta-titanium used by JMM is stellar. JMM's 10mm acetate is in another league as compared to Ic! Berlin's acetate. JMM's finishing is also superior to Ic! Berlin.

I have two pairs of Ic! Berlins and they work great as lightweight, easy-to-wear sunglasses. That said, if you make a side-by-side comparison of Ic! Berlin to JMM -- I just did before typing this -- JMM's quality is palpably better.
Thank you for all the informations.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the look of these.
They look similar to my Oliver Peoples, in dark red but also a slight woodgrain named ‘burgundy bark’ -

I wrote about my Randolphs here ...
View attachment 1415011
Nice, very close.
They had another color called Dark Ale, and I might of bought those too for variety, but my pair were the last ones in the whole company.

konstantis

Reaction score

How is JMM in comparison to Leisure Society or Dita ? I am searching for the best available quality . Thank you.

drtchock

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone here can ID any of these 3 sunglasses? The legend wearing them has worn sunglasses by Acne Studios, Prada, Ray Ban, and Celine in the past, but I'm not sure what any of these are..

1. The first are an acetate aviator with a clear/brown frame and gradient lens, no obvious branding, I've seen him wearing these as far back as 2008..
Thom Sunglasses.jpg

2. The second are again an acetate aviator in black with a grey gradient lens and again no branding. This photo was 2012.
aviator.jpg

3. The third are an enlarged metal aviator with a white and gold frame, similar to Ray Ban's 'full colour' range but these are larger and once again there's no branding, these photos were 2016.
Aviator3.jpg

Let me know if anyone has any ideas! Thank you :)

JDelage

Reaction score
I'm curious whether anyone here is familiar with Entourage of 7? They made the glasses Matt Damon wears in "Ford v. Ferrari". The model is called Beacon, I find them quite striking...

Attachments

• Eo7Beacon.jpg
    Eo7Beacon.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Eo7Beacon03.jpg
    Eo7Beacon03.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 43

malcolmbw

Reaction score
How's the quality on Celine's sunglasses? I like the look of these ones.

Also, if anyone's got a lead on these would appreciate - think they're from 2018 :/

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 4.41.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 4.41.00 PM.png
    494.2 KB · Views: 43

Adroit

Reaction score
I'm curious whether anyone here is familiar with Entourage of 7? They made the glasses Matt Damon wears in "Ford v. Ferrari". The model is called Beacon, I find them quite striking...

I have the Entourage of 7 Vernon in brown (below). Made in Japan, good quality acetate and hinges, and interesting design elements. Entourage of 7 is part the Bellinger House, which also includes Blac (if you like carbon fiber).

VERNON-0889_A.jpg

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
How's the quality on Celine's sunglasses? I like the look of these ones.

Also, if anyone's got a lead on these would appreciate - think they're from 2018 :/

Pretty sure those are C&G 1295´s

1594691909524.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics