• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Thread for Sunglasses (High End and Rarities Welcome)

NycLondon

Reaction score
Cutler and Gross was one of the pioneers of fashion eyewear. They're a British company that currently manufactures in their own factory in Cadore, Italy. They have a few wire frames in their lineup, but their specialty is acetate. Their style is often distinctive and unusual, with the iconic model 0734 seen below being no exception.

Oliver Goldsmith were the original, G&C are the 2nd gen British designers.

MichaelR

Reaction score
Oliver Peoples Victory 58mm.
They keep re releasing 55mm because of the Burn Notice show. They even unnecessarily altered design of arms which made Victory not as cool as original design.
In my opinion 55mm are way too small. 58mm was a sweet spot for me - I wore them only a couple of time.

Tsujigiri

Reaction score
Oliver Goldsmith were the original, G&C are the 2nd gen British designers.

That's why I said they were one of the pioneers, not the only one. If you look a couple of posts after that, I also wrote about Oliver Goldsmith.

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve always been a bigger fan of JMM acetates but I must say your Jaggers are amazing?? Congrats sir!
Thanks! They're definitely the most I've paid for sunglasses in my life, so it was definitely crossing a rubicon for me. Given that, it's nice to have some positive reinforcement for buying them.

I'm going to be in England in a couple of weeks, and was thinking of picking up a pair of English sunglasses while over there, but I'm not sure I like the aesthetic of the brands I've seen (e.g. Cutler and Gross, Oliver Goldsmith, leisure society). I'm much more into the loud California brands like JMM and Dita--the English brands don't seem to have the 70's vibe, although some of the Oliver Goldsmith frames come close. It seems that Cutler and Gross is close to my hotel, so I might drop in there and see what I think. But, like I was telling MichaelR, I'm pretty set on getting one of the acetate JMM's next, so I'll probably just hold off.

MichaelR

Reaction score
To me it looks like Jagger were inspired by Alpina fm11. And alpine ripped off screws bridge from Cartier Vendome Santos.
JMM “borrows” love trinity motif from their Jagger’s bridge.

Tsujigiri

Reaction score
I'm going to be in England in a couple of weeks, and was thinking of picking up a pair of English sunglasses while over there, but I'm not sure I like the aesthetic of the brands I've seen (e.g. Cutler and Gross, Oliver Goldsmith, leisure society). I'm much more into the loud California brands like JMM and Dita--the English brands don't seem to have the 70's vibe, although some of the Oliver Goldsmith frames come close.

Btw, Leisure Society is a California brand (although the name sounds English). Oxford Vaughan and Larke are based in England, though. LS has been doing some bolder retro frames lately; hopefully that trend continues.

DdzrSRbWAAA367D.jpg

DJczgWHUQAA9URU.jpg

LS114_Sun_Presidio_18k_Rose_Gold_T_2_1024x1024.jpg

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh ok, I somehow missed that. The frames in your first picture look really nice.

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, now that I think of it, I really like the last of those Leisure Society's you posted, the Presidio. God damn this thread.

MichaelR

Reaction score
Actually, now that I think of it, I really like the last of those Leisure Society's you posted, the Presidio. God damn this thread.

That have that Dita vibe - something between Mach six and original avocet.
Price is above 1k. At this price or a little more I could get vintage Fred American Cup. But I do like Savoye. If I bought it I’d probably wear it a couple of time and eventually sell them. The thing about modern frames they don’t hold value. I’ve seen some used leisure society selling as little as $300.

You should look into Dita Mach six, but if you decide to buy it, buy it slightly used, market is saturated with those frames - you can get good price.

MichaelR

Reaction score
Wearing Cartier Vendome Laque today with burgundy lenses.

I bought those from Italian dealer who owns little vintage boutique in Milan. He told me that they used to belong to some well known person in Italy but he did t want to tell me name. Funny thing is they smelled like cigarettes for over a month. Red Cartier box they came with sill smell like cigarettes and I bought them over 3 years ago.

Tsujigiri

Reaction score
Oh ok, I somehow missed that. The frames in your first picture look really nice.

Thanks!

@Tsujigiri can you post more pics of Savoye with unfolded arms?
Do those lenses move / flip?

Sure thing, the lenses don't move, but they're attached using a kind of reverse rimless design that I haven't seen before. Also, the hinges on these have two spring loaded bars instead of one (not sure what they're called?).

DSC_0184.JPG
DSC_0185.JPG
DSC_0186.JPG

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Neat piece from Die, Workwear! on sunglasses.

@dieworkwear did you stumble on the Japanese brand Eyevan7285 during your research? I saw them at 180 The Store in NYC and thought they looked pretty impressive. Sitting on the fence about the MacDougal in black with blue lenses.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Neat piece from Die, Workwear! on sunglasses.

@dieworkwear did you stumble on the Japanese brand Eyevan7285 during your research? I saw them at 180 The Store in NYC and thought they looked pretty impressive. Sitting on the fence about the MacDougal in black with blue lenses.

I did! I checked them out at a local eyewear store last year. They're great. If I had more space, I would have included them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads