1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

A. Testoni Shoes on Gilt

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by magogian12345, Aug 18, 2010.

1. magogian12345

magogian12345 Senior member

Most are selling around $200. Are these shoes a good deal at this price? Most of my current shoes are AE/Alden/Peal. Are these a step up? Or are you just paying more because they are Italian.

Also, how do people find the fit?

Thanks

2. yarnsforth

yarnsforth Senior member

I bought the suede loafers in 9.5 the last time they were on sale at Gilt, and like them. I'm around a 10.75 and they fit well. IMO a good deal for $148; nice finish and comfortable.

3. magogian12345

magogian12345 Senior member

Thanks for the info. Gilt says the shoes run a full size large. So, 12 = 13. Weird, I guess.

4. mishon

mishon Senior member

Nothing special about Testoni - middle of the road Italian leather goods maker - unless you come across the Amadeo line (soles stamped with feather image).

5. cl smooth

cl smooth Senior member

6. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

i wanted to get the blue suede loafers. but alas, i just cant go buy anything i see.

7. mishon

mishon Senior member

http://www.gilt.com/s/atest0810/product/28589541

thinking about buying these... thoughts?

also, what size should I get? I'm usuallly a 10.5-11 in everything....

It says they fit true to size. I don't own any Testoni shoes to offer guidance on fit, however. It is calf skin, which is very supple and may stretch.

8. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

These may be UK sized and GILT is doing the conversion to US sizing. The shoes you received may be marked one size smaller.

9. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

they listed it as US sizes on gilt right now.

also , from my experience, a testoni dress shoes run slightly small/tight.

10. OttoSkadelig

OttoSkadelig Senior member

Most are selling around $200. Are these shoes a good deal at this price? Most of my current shoes are AE/Alden/Peal. Are these a step up? Or are you just paying more because they are Italian.

Also, how do people find the fit?

Thanks

the $500-ish MRP and lower shoes are solid but unspectacular; the higher-end lines are superb, but priced to match...

11. teddieriley

they listed it as US sizes on gilt right now.

also , from my experience, a testoni dress shoes run slightly small/tight.

you were quick on the quoting.

12. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

i removed it for you bro

13. lmaozedong

lmaozedong Senior member

One thing you NEED to look out for are the ones that are labeled A. Testoni Basics--I ordered a couple pairs of these and they are made in Morocco I believe, really bad quality. Leather felt plasticky like a $200 retail shoe, not a $500 shoe. Since Testoni goes on Gilt so often and I've never seen this "Basic" line before, I'm assuming it's a made for Gilt "special" product. Either way, FWIW, I returned both pairs of calfskin oxfords that I boguht. I'd be wary of the Gilt Testoni sales, especially looking out for the origin on the item description. I suspect the Italian ones are the ones that everyone is familiar with, and the imported ones are all "Basics"

1 person likes this.
  14. teddieriley

i removed it for you bro

lol. thanks sho!

15. OttoSkadelig

One thing you NEED to look out for are the ones that are labeled A. Testoni Basics--I ordered a couple pairs of these and they are made in Morocco I believe, really bad quality. Leather felt plasticky like a $200 retail shoe, not a $500 shoe. Since Testoni goes on Gilt so often and I've never seen this "Basic" line before, I'm assuming it's a made for Gilt "special" product. Either way, FWIW, I returned both pairs of calfskin oxfords that I boguht. I'd be wary of the Gilt Testoni sales, especially looking out for the origin on the item description. I suspect the Italian ones are the ones that everyone is familiar with, and the imported ones are all "Basics"

i wish luxury brands would not do this -- for their own sake.

soon everyone will be going the pierre cardin route.

16. mishon

mishon Senior member

I doubt that Testoni would make a line of shoes just for Gilt. Any clothing article with the word "basic" should make you run.

17. lmaozedong

lmaozedong Senior member

I doubt that Testoni would make a line of shoes just for Gilt. Any clothing article with the word "basic" should make you run.

I was surprised, too--but a google search for "testoni basic" comes up empty and every other shoe I've seen from them has been far superior in quality and made in Italy.

18. ElementHU

ElementHU Senior member

I agree with this. Where early in the year, there were some great Testoni Black Labels available, those have been long sold out and those offered on Gilt labeled as "Imported" are a significant drop in quality. The Black Label cap toes I bought early in the year are a completely different animal than the inferior "Made in Morocco" boots I received and subsequently returned. No one is buying these as they have been recycled at least 3 times on Gilt since with not one size sold out...hopefully they do get some new inventory of Black Label again to make a Testoni sale worthwhile again.

19. OttoSkadelig

i do find it funny how gilt makes it a point, in all their sales, to specify italian origin, but leaves it at an ambiguous "imported" in all other cases.

20. lmaozedong

lmaozedong Senior member

i do find it funny how gilt makes it a point, in all their sales, to specify italian origin, but leaves it at an ambiguous "imported" in all other cases.

I've seen Made in USA, UK, Japan, Italy, and France--otherwise do we really care, anyway?