1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

A. Testoni Double Monks advice

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by PakMan, Nov 27, 2012.

Tags:
  1. PakMan

PakMan New Member

Hello All,
    I'm a long time reader, first time poster. You guys do a great job with this forum!!

I've been in the market for a pair of black double monks in the $300-400 range. While on the search, I ran into a great deal and jumped on it:

http://www.amazon.com/a-testoni-Mens-M45483UDM-Monkstrap-Loafer/dp/B007632QTC

Got the shoes today, and the look great, except one issue.... the leather is extremely shiny!! It's described at polished, but looks almost like patent leather.... almost plasticky..... which is a no-no for me.

Does anyone have any experience with these? Is there a chance the leather is just too shiny as it new, and will dull out with wear and polishing?

Can you recommend any other options? (I already have a pair of AE Neumora in brown).

Your help and advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Mute

Mute Senior member

They're supposed to be decent quality. Most of the SF members who've owned Testoni shoes have been happy with the quality. For an alternative in the same price range, you might want to give Meermin a shot.

3. SloopyNoob

SloopyNoob Senior member

Did you look at Magnanni? Meermin LM line is really nice also according to SF members.

4. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

Not a bad price point.

5. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

I take it for granted that you ordered the brushed nero? If yes, send them back. If I'm not mistaken this is corrected grain leather,which explains the shine. Get a pair of Meermins instead.

6. PakMan

PakMan New Member

Yes mine are the "brushed nero".... and you hit the nail right on the head. I had read about corrected grain, but never encountered a pair before. These are going back. I'll take a look at Meermins. Also found some good feedback on Loake.

Thanks for the feedback everybody!

7. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

Would advise you to not buy the Loake Cannon, the last is not as flattering IMO. The leather isn't as good as the Meermin's either after what I've seen and experienced. The Meermins from the Linea Maestro is a good buy.

8. PakMan

PakMan New Member

Noted.... thanks again!

Regarding the Meermins, sounds like you've bought those. I'm kind of a blind man on the website, as its not in English. Can you comment on their sizing?

The site suggests UK8 = US10.5 = EU42..... That looks off, as I would think US9 = EU42.... I'll stick with that size unless they run long or something.

9. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

I don't have a pair from the Linea Maestro, but I have two pairs from the classic line and they are quite good value/money. If you go to meermin.es and click "Enter" you get the english version. I agree, that sizing is way off, I'm a US8 in AE, UK7 in C&J, Loake etc. and a size 7 in Meermin, while I am a 41 in EU shoes.