• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Tale of Two Shoes: Fixing a pair of Bruno Maglis Photoessay

Demeter

Reaction score
By popular request, here is the post as it appeared in December shortly before the hard drive crash. "A Tale of Two Shoes" I managed to find these at a thrift store in town and thought they would be a perfect candidate to do something like this about. Usually when a pair of testonis, Lobbs, or anything else comes in there isn't much time for me to bother the master cobbler with holding the shoes still while I set the aperture on my camera to take a photo. In any case, a reheel, half-resole, and a general cleanup was done, along with a very minor antiquing. I'll try not to be too long-winded in my descriptions of what's going on in the pictures, but just enough to answer any questions that might pop up. Part 1 - The heel and sole
DSC04844.JPG
They came in...
DSC04861.JPG
looking like this.
DSC04849.JPG
A closeup of the heels.
DSC04854.JPG
Caught just in time. At this point the heel really needs to be changed.
DSC04855.JPG
Starting to get the heel off. Maglis are annoying because of the way the heels are nailed in from the inside. Makes it quite hard to take the heel off without damaging it.
DSC04856.JPG
More surgery.
DSC04863.JPG
DSC04865.JPG
You can see the nails from this angle.
DSC04866.JPG
Getting the nails out. Gently.

Demeter

Reaction score
DSC04851.JPG
You'll see that the heel is actually in a couple of pieces. Only the bottom heel (rubber and leather hybrid that actually hits the ground) needed to be taken off, but the way that it was nailed down, this was hard to do.
DSC04935.JPG
Seeing if the Italian soles we've got will fit the shoe. Luckily they did. These soles are from a company that no longer exists - Kis. Fortunately we stocked up before we even heard the news because they are quite possibly the best.
DSC04936.JPG
Cutting the edging. The reason why this is done is because the way most shoemakers do half-soles makes them prone to breaking at the crease. However, if you shave down enough of the shoe's sole where it's cut off, and of the new half-sole, this won't happen. This is quite hard to do. It'll be demonstrated later on.
DSC04938.JPG
Taking it apart. When a half-sole is done, the sole isn't taken off even if the heel is. Instead, the part that needs replacing is...
DSC04939.JPG
cut off.
DSC04940.JPG
Old leather is grainy and hard to cut with a blade, so shears come in handy.
DSC04943.JPG
Soles off.
DSC04945.JPG
Shaving off the excess to have a nice gradient.
DSC04946.JPG
Edges of the sole. What isn't shown is how the rest of the bottom of the shoe is also cleaned using a finer-grit abrasive. The cleaner the surface, the better the glue will stick, so it's important that a shoemaker pays attention to this.

Demeter

Reaction score
DSC04950.JPG
Cleaning the bottom of the the new half-sole a bit, and creating the gradient.
DSC04952.JPG
Reason why shaving the sole into a gradient is hard - when the two meet, there can't be any variation in the thickness of the old sole, the new sole, or the inch and a half or so of space where they actually merge.
DSC04962.JPG
Gluing.
DSC04963.JPG
More gluing.
DSC04964.JPG
At least three layers are put on, with at least a few hours between each coat to let the glue dry and settle.
DSC04965.JPG
After the first coat.
DSC04970.JPG
The same thing is done to the heels.
DSC04973.JPG
DSC04977.JPG
Second or third coat. I forget.

Demeter

Reaction score
DSC04992.JPG
If the heels are just put on top of the sole, there's not much that's keeping them together. Most shoemakers use some big stationary nailers that basically shoot a wire through the sole to take care of that. But we're traditionalists.
DSC04989.JPG
Nailing the heels from the inside with a nice new set of nails. Old ones always rust out because of the moisture that seeps in from the inside of the shoe. If you don't like your shoemaker, you can wear really warm socks in the summer so your feet sweat a lot and then in the fall you can ask him to do a resole. They'll be so rusty that they'll break when he tries to get them out. Don't blame me if you find a surprise in your shoe, though.
DSC05000.JPG
Heels after they're nailed from the inside.
DSC05006.JPG
Right, that was the second coat. This is the third. Or the fourth. I forget.
DSC05011.JPG
All the glue has to be applied in thin layers, otherwise it just cakes together and you get lumps that you feel as you walk down the street.
DSC05013.JPG
REALLY sensitive part. The glue that's used is really strong. You'd need some powerful pliers to rip it apart even if it touches slightly. It also rips off that chunk of glue that it touches, so mistakes are costly.
DSC05017.JPG
After the sole is put on, it's pounded down with a smooth-headed hammer to make sure all the fibres intertwine with the glue sufficiently to ensure maximum durability. Ok, I'm completely making this up. I have no idea what the fibres are doing, but basically you pound it down to squish the glue and stuff.
DSC05018.JPG
The edges are pressed down. Very vital part, so there's an entire machine that basically does just that.
DSC05019.JPG
A closeup. An extra piece of leather or rubber is placed underneath the sole so as not to damage it.

Demeter

Reaction score
DSC05020.JPG
Afterwards, the excess is cut off.
DSC05023.JPG
This is done roughly because the next step is to shave it down very close. At this point we encounter a problem. The thing is that if a shoe is not properly balanced, it wears away at the heels in the wrong way, puts pressure on the wrong part of the spine, and just plain does bad things to your feet, and, more importantly, to the shoes. Here's where we first caught it:
DSC05024.JPG
DSC05027.JPG
A closer inspection...
DSC05028.JPG
...confirmed it. To fix this, part of the heel has to be shaved off. The problem is that the heel height has to be properly observed in order to not counterbalance the shoe even more when the heel cap is put on. The heel height is usually measured in 1/8 of inches, across the heel breast... Ok, one more definition. The heel breast is the semicircular part of the heel that faces forward. These Maglis, specifically, were at about 3/4 when we got them, and probably between 7/8 and 8/8 when new, so that's the height we were aiming for, but now the heel had to be shaved down while keeping the heel height uniform across the entire breadth. The perils of a shoemaker's life.
DSC05031.JPG
After doing some very scientific measurements, the nail-biting begins.
DSC05035.JPG
Success. The half-millimeter gap at the fore of the heel is on purpose, you'll see the reason for this later. Here are a few shots of the work before the precision cutting and shaving begins.
PICT0008.JPG

Demeter

Reaction score
PICT0011.JPG
PICT0016.JPG
PICT0023.JPG
First, the heels are shaved down with a rotary blade wheel on an old Landis machine.
PICT0026.JPG
Some sanding is done to make sure that the curve is even around the entire heel. This attachment is very useful because the head is curved so you've got more control over how much is taken off and at what angle.
PICT0028.JPG
This rotary finisher is then used to give the heel a smoother finish.
PICT0031.JPG
Edge smoothing.
PICT0033.JPG
Yes, we do recycle.
PICT0034.JPG
This is how the heel breast is very patiently smoothed out.
PICT0036.JPG
Taking off a very thin layer of the finish.

Demeter

Reaction score
PICT0039.JPG
This is done for several reasons. (1) Logos of some tannery on a brand new sole are ugly. (2) The soles or heels that are used can be old, and a bit dry, especially if they're kept in an arid closet in the back of the shop. A cream/moisturizer is applied liberally to the leather, and seeps in, conditioning the leather and thereby making it more durable, more flexible, especially in cold weather. (3) It allows a new finish to be put on, polished and shaded to blend in well with the rest of the sole. Yes, we actually are that anal.
PICT0042.JPG
The transition between the old and new sole is cleaned up.
PICT0046.JPG
A very fine-grit sandpaper is used to clean the sole some more.
PICT0047.JPG
The shoes before anything else is done to the soles.
PICT0051.JPG
The tidied heels with markings for the nails.
PICT0053.JPG
A small sigil representing our shop.
PICT0055.JPG
The sides are painted to match the color of the upper leather.
PICT0056.JPG
Usually the rubber part of the hybrid heel is left untouched, but in this case it didn't seem to fit for some reason, so the entire heel was painted.
PICT0063.JPG
The heels being nailed. Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to take any shots of the sole-finishing process, but It's not terribly exciting stuff to begin with, and in any case, the end results are coming up.

Demeter

Reaction score
Part 2 - Cleaning and fixing the upper This part was a bit tricky because I had no idea what was on the upper to begin with. There were salt and water stains all over the toes, but there was other stuff as well. If there is a lot of dried, crystallized salt on the shoe, it can be a bad idea to put alcohol on it directly. To take care of that regular household vinegar is used. Afterwards, any water stains that remain can be taken care of with a clean cloth and either some rubbing alcohol or acetone.
DSC04868.JPG
Preparation - to clean the seams and broguing and medallion, some water, a cloth and a large (but sharp) punch is used.
DSC04885.JPG
A couple of punches. Clean cloth. Rubbing alcohol. Diluted acetone. Leather conditioner. Not pictured: Elbow grease.
DSC04870.JPG
A closeup of the toe before cleanup.
DSC04871.JPG
Getting all the dirt and gunk out of the medallion.
DSC04872.JPG
Cleaning off layered dirt with a bit of water.
DSC04874.JPG
You can see some difference already.
DSC04878.JPG
Cleaning up the welt.
DSC04882.JPG
Afterwards, alcohol is used to clean the leather out. You can see lighter part near the bottom half of the picture. This is where the alcohol has already dried and taken some of the color out of the leather. It's better to use regular rubbing alcohol before trying something like acetone because the results of cleaning leather are similar, but acetone can destroy the finish of a leather very fast.
DSC04881.JPG
Then a leather conditioner is used to moisturize the leather after the alcohol has evaporated. This prevents the leather from drying up.

Demeter

Reaction score
Part 3 - Et voilà Here is the end result of the work. I didn't picture any of the regular polishing or antiquing because there have been some great threads about this already and I figured I've wasted enough of everyone's time as it is.
DSC05147.JPG
Glamour shot. The leather is for a bespoke belt for a customer, but it just happened to match the new color of the shoes.
DSC05149.JPG
DSC05151.JPG
No flash, and natural light.
DSC05153.JPG
Another one.
DSC05157.JPG
DSC05168.JPG
With belt and hornback bag.
DSC05179.JPG
Natural light.
DSC05182.JPG
A closeup of the medallion, all tidied up.
DSC05189.JPG
The soles. Before
DSC04844.JPG
and after
DSC05184.JPG
And I think that's it. I hope you all enjoyed seeing this little photoessay as much as I enjoyed making it. Questions and comments are welcome. A few people asked for the shop information, so here it is. Norris Shoe Repair EDIT: For information, please contact me directly at [email protected].

coachvu

Reaction score
Wow, I love seeing the fruits of artisans' labors. This truly is amazing.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As beautiful and astonishing as the first time I saw it!

Thank you for posting it!

BDCook

Reaction score
That is simply an amazing job.

On a somewhat related note, do you know how I can go about finding a decent shoe repair shop?

Any particular questions to ask a proprietor?

I have a pair of driving shoes that I love wearing, but they look horrendous now. Want to get them repaired.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
An alltime favorite post of mine Dimitri! Thanks for brining back.
inlove.gif

minimal

Reaction score
Wow, wow wow. That is truly amazing. "The breath of life", only for shoes.

Thank you very much for the informative post.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads