• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A tailoring tour of Hong Kong and Vietnam

csaller

Reaction score
I recently used a vacation in Hong Kong and Vietnam to get some suits and shirts made, and thought it might be interesting for some other beginners like me to read about my experiences.

A little bit of background: I am mid-thirties and run an internet company in Germany, so I do not get to wear a suit as often as I would like to. However, I recently decided that it is time to upgrade my wardrobe and throw out the mediocre MTM suits from a German tailor that I was wearing before. My objective on this trip was to try out a couple of different tailors to learn what to look for in a tailor, find out more about my taste, etc. Here's my experience:

W.W.Chan (Hong Kong): A lot of good things have been said about Chan on this forum, so I decided to do my largest purchase here. I got a navy 2-piece suit in a Zegna Trofeo cloth, a 3-piece dinner jacket in a Scabal 130 Barathea, and a tuxedo shirt. The experience was great in every respect: It felt really good to go with Patrick through the fittings, as he both listened very well to find out what I was looking for, and steered me in the right direction when I was unsure. Great for someone like me with little experience at bespoke! Most important, I really like the outcome, all I got from Chan looks great. Chan is certainly not cheap (overall, I paid almost 3.000 Euro), but worth the price.

Ah-Man (Hong Kong): According to this forum, another one of the top three tailors in Hong Kong. As I only had time to use two, I decided (for no particular reason) to go here and skip Gordon Yao. From Ah-Man, I got a suit in a medium grey VBC fabric, paying about 850 Euro. The experience at Ah-Man was certainly amusing (having two or three older Chinese guys jumping around me, chatting away in Chinese), but left me a little insecure whether I was really getting what I wanted. And the outcome is mixed: The trousers are perfect, even better than the one from Chan. The jacket fits very nicely around the shoulders and in the back. It has, however, three major deficits: The arms are much too wide (something I am now getting changed back home), there is too much room in front (which apparently cannot be changed any more), and the jacket is a little too long (which also cannot be changed, as the pockets are fairly low and would be totally out of proportion if I would have it shortened). Someone with more experience than me would probably have been able to spot these problems during the fittings and steer the tailor in the right direction. I, unfortunately, noticed the problems only in the final product. So, I'm sure Ah-Man is a great tailor, but I would not necessarily recommend them for a "beginner".

Dung (Saigon): Recommended on this forum as the best tailor in Vietnam, and dirt cheap; basically, you pay for the cloth, bought in the store of Dung's wife next door, and then some nominal amount (80 dollars or so) for the tailoring. Using Dung was a stressful experience, but with a "happy ending": When I first entered the shop, only Dung's wife was there, who seems to be in charge of things anyway. In the beginning, she almost tried to discourage me from buying, pointing out that they are very busy and the suit would take 6 weeks and would have to be shipped. When I insisted and picked one of their most expensive fabrics, a blue Dormeuil pinstripe (their cloth collection is rather limited, with a lot of really cheap stuff), she got a little more friendly. She then took the measurements herself (her husband not being there), and we arranged two appointments for the fittings. In the first fitting, I finally got to see Dung himself, who changed most of the measurements of his wife. Unfortunately, only the jacket was prepared, not the trousers. However, at the end of the fitting he tried to convince me that a second fitting would not be necessary; he could finish the jacket and do the trousers without fitting. Fortunately, I insisted to do a second fitting, which was good, as he still did a lot of changes in it. The final product was then shipped to me 4 weeks later. It actually looks pretty good - while not being as perfect as the Chan suits, I definitely like it better than the one from Ah-Man. I am currently having my tailor here make some small alterations (tighten the trousers, add some more waist suppression), but in the end I think it will be a fairly good suit for a very low price. Still, you should know what you want and be firm when you use Dung!

To round things off, I also got some shirts at Ascot Chan and at Jantzen. Nothing new to add to what is already on this forum: The AC shirts are perfect, but also fairly expensive; the Jantzen shirts are rather good for a really low price. Only thing to mention here is that I had to go through one rework at AC and two reworks at Jantzen before they got things right.

I will try to post some pictures if I get around to taking some!

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Pictures!

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by csaller
I will try to post some pictures if I get around to taking some!

Pics would be great and thanks for the write up.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by csaller
Using Dung was a stressful experience, but with a "happy ending"

Damn! The tailor I used on my trip to Vietnam didn't give me a "happy ending." Did you tip when asked for payment? That's generally how I've gotten "happy endings" from the Vietnamese back in the States.

neyus

Reaction score
I will have to seek out this dung.

csaller

Reaction score
Actually, I would probably not recommend Dung for this kind of happy ending, but his wife is pretty cute...
laugh.gif

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

csaller

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
+100

Ok, ok, here are some pictures of the Chan suit (looking at them, I probably should get it ironed). Happy about feedback! Will post pictures of the other suits as soon as they are back from alteration.

pkincy

Reaction score
Thank you, most informative post.

Perry

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pkincy
Thank you, most informative post.

Perry

+1

As a regular customer of Chan, it's always interesting to learn how they stack up in an unbiased comparison with some of the other top HK tailoring firms, in this case A-Man.

Finsen

Reaction score
I think it fits very nicely overall. I am not sure about the back of the pants, seems like there is a little too much room at the seat.

csaller

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Finsen
I am not sure about the back of the pants, seems like there is a little too much room at the seat.

I noticed the same thing when looking at the pictures. Will have it changed in the next one.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Chan suits looks quite good as one would expect. Shame that you did not try Yao (though I understand why) to set them side by side. That is certainly what I hope to do next time I am out there. Sadly the recession certainly means that this will not be 2009.

JMKJR

Reaction score
Just ordered my first Chan suit last weekend from a fitting on a leg of their U.S. visit. Very much looking forward to its arrival in a few weeks.

The suit ordered should look much like the one in the photos above.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads