• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A suit question?

mandi82

Reaction score
Hey all,

Newbie here and a guy despite the username. Anyways, I just started my professional career and I've thought about purchasing a nice suit. The Men's Wearhouse suit I used for interviewing is a slight upgrade from the JC Penney suit I had in college. I cringe when I think about that one. I would consider myself very well dressed at the office but then again it's business casual and a software company.

I would like to invest in a suit someday but I don't know when I will ever wear it. I would definitely be sticking out if I wore a suit to the office. Another issue is that I am in Houston and it gets ridiculously hot here. I can only imagine how it would feel to be in a suit in the middle of a muggy, humid summer.
So my question is, how often do you guys wear suits other than for work? Thanks.

Ebonyman

Reaction score
Given your profession and the climate, skip it. When the occassion arises that you need to acquire a suit, come back to SF, indicate the occasion and how much you want to spend and you'll get plently of advice on what, where, how and how much!

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't think it can ever hurt to have one or two great suits for the right circumstances weather it is an interview, wedding, funeral, whatever. Stick with a basic navy, or charcoal.

I wear suits 7 days a week, but I am a weird guy. In the dog days of the summer I lose the jacket and socks, loosen the tie, and roll up the sleeves.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't wear a suit to work. I do wear it when I go to the opera, concert, a play or a nice dinner. I only have one quality full suit right now and it feels like it's not enough.

dks202

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mandi82
Hey all,

Another issue is that I am in Houston and it gets ridiculously hot here. I can only imagine how it would feel to be in a suit in the middle of a muggy, humid summer.
So my question is, how often do you guys wear suits other than for work? Thanks.

Heat should not be an issue if you are in an office. I'm in San Antonio and I wear a suit or sportcoat 4 days a week. You're in an air conditioned home, car, office, etc all day. You only walk a few feet (?) to your car. Take off your coat if you have to walk more than that.

Other than work? Special occasions or church.

Daseinflaw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ebonyman
Given your profession and the climate, skip it. When the occassion arises that you need to acquire a suit, come back to SF, indicate the occasion and how much you want to spend and you'll get plently of advice on what, where, how and how much!

I agree with this. The "interview" suit you have now should be sufficient for the occasion where you do actually wear a suit. If something comes up that requires something more formal/nicer, then you can consider buying something else.

mrjames

Reaction score
i dress smart daily- for no reason other than I want to (student).

Wear a nice sport coat, navy blazer, some tweed over jeans- still looks good but not as likely to get you laughed at

Chrenetique

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
I don't wear a suit to work.

What do you wear then? Sportcoat and no tie? I'm surprised to read this from you, as you already showed one of the most delightful outfits over here.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chrenetique
What do you wear then? Sportcoat and no tie? I'm surprised to read this from you, as you already showed one of the most delightful outfits over here.

Thanks! I can wear jeans and a t-shirt with tennis shoes, since that's what most people have on.
laugh.gif
However, I always opt for either cotton pants or wool trousers with a shirt and nice shoes. I often attend social gatherings which allow me to wear suits and sportcoats, though, so that's nice.

chet31

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I don't think it can ever hurt to have one or two great suits for the right circumstances weather it is an interview, wedding, funeral, whatever. Stick with a basic navy, or charcoal.

I wear suits 7 days a week, but I am a weird guy. In the dog days of the summer I lose the jacket and socks, loosen the tie, and roll up the sleeves.

Agree w/ this, one charcoal or navy suit for funerals, interviews (ironic juxtaposition), one "fun" suit for weddings, dinners, etc. Spend some money on the former, you will wear it a lifetime, the latter can be more fashion forward.

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do not quote spam.

Not Ed Harris

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrjames
i dress smart daily- for no reason other than I want to (student).

Wear a nice sport coat, navy blazer, some tweed over jeans- still looks good but not as likely to get you laughed at

I was worried for a minute when I read that first line. When I was at university there was this guy who wore suit and tie to all his lectures. Said he "didn't like wearing student clothes as they made him feel dirty".

Blazers and tweed are within the acceptable range though.

Actually contributing something I'd say that, as people seemingly always recommend getting stuff from B&S and you don't need it urgently, you should just keep an eye out for something in your size and budget.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads