• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Suit for Slim

SlimPickens

Reaction score
I'm under quite a bit of pressure to get a suit ASAP for interviews and graduate school but am having a terrible time finding anything affordable that fits.

I'm about 6'1", 150 lbs, 31 waist, 34 arms... Everything I've come across has been the traditional sack suit, which looks even more exaggerated on me.

At Bloomingdale's I was told that the _only_ suit they carry that would fit is the Z for Zegna in a 48eur. It actually fit very nicely, but I've read some negative comments about the brand on this forum and, well, $995 is too steep for me.

Can anyone recommend a similar cut that costs around, say, $650 dollars?

Thanks so much for your help.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Try Corneliani. Their mainline stuff is top quality, yet frequently can be found for $500 and under at the major discounters, such as STP. Their cut works very well for the thin, I've found.

If you can't find a good bargain on that, Polo's blue label line (NOT Lauren or Chaps) is pretty good. Those can be found on discount for around $400. You might try Marshall's and other such stores, particularly if you live in an urban area.

Saks, too, is having its final clearance right now. Be worth a stop there.

mikeber

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SlimPickens
I am having a terrible time finding anything affordable that fits.
There must be more terrible things in life ...
smile.gif
You try suits, you see and learn many new things and it's quite an experience.

As a 6'4" myself, I can understand your pain. Because of my size I am almost banned from sales and ebay. But even at full retail I can rarely find anything suitable. Stores like Barneys and Bergdorf Goodman keep very shallow stocks and when going on sale the only two big/tall sized jackets and single suit they once stocked are long gone.
On the other hand, the 75 pants on sale are all sized between 32-34...
Nevertheless, let me suggest a couple of options:
http://www.sacquesuit.com
http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse...ry.do?cid=5469
http://www.rochesterclothing.com/asp...06071318171049
http://www.16sur20.com/mensmain.html
http://www.yoox.com/home.asp

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Someone is buying me a suit? Sweet!

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kitonbrioni
However, you may just have to chip in a little more and go for an entry level mtm suit.

I can't help you, as I've gone MTM (I'm 6'3", 160 lbs.; 32" waist, 36" arms). Corneliani is a good bet, though. After you buy, it _will_ need to go to an alterations tailor for at least a nip and tuck, so figure something in your budget for alterations (maybe $50-100, if the fit is very good to start).

atomicmrg

Reaction score
I would also recomment the corneliani, their stuff is of a good quality and not too expensive.

I feel your pain, I'm 6'5" and about 185 pounds, with a 15.5 inch neck and 36 inch arms...and I can never find anything that fits without extensive tailoring. Your best bet is to find something that you like and that fits the price point and then to take it to a tailor and have them fit it to you properly

JR_Rider

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SlimPickens
I'm under quite a bit of pressure to get a suit ASAP for interviews and graduate school but am having a terrible time finding anything affordable that fits.

I'm about 6'1", 150 lbs, 31 waist, 34 arms... Everything I've come across has been the traditional sack suit, which looks even more exaggerated on me.

At Bloomingdale's I was told that the _only_ suit they carry that would fit is the Z for Zegna in a 48eur. It actually fit very nicely, but I've read some negative comments about the brand on this forum and, well, $995 is too steep for me.

Can anyone recommend a similar cut that costs around, say, $650 dollars?

Thanks so much for your help.

Banana Republic and Express have some slim fitting suits that I think will be much to your liking.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just for kicks, I tried on one of Banana Republic's new navy suitcoats tonight. Looked surprisingly nice, and fit my thin build very well. It's still a cheap fused suit, but it would get you through until you can acquire something better. At least it has a bit of style lacking in most department store models. (This is assuming you have no luck finding something better to start with, of course. But I get the impression time is really pressing.)

JR_Rider

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Just for kicks, I tried on one of Banana Republic's new navy suitcoats tonight. Looked surprisingly nice, and fit my thin build very well. It's still a cheap fused suit, but it would get you through until you can acquire something better. At least it has a bit of style lacking in most department store models. (This is assuming you have no luck finding something better to start with, of course. But I get the impression time is really pressing.)

It's funny you say that. That deep navy suit jacket is the exact same jacket I am looking to get.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics