• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A styleforum eBay template journey...

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread will be based around my stumbling through an eBay seller HTML template designed to make the digital "store fronts" more professional.

This is a spin off of the advice I have been getting in the Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions thread and, as HansderHund so aptly stated, this thread will try to be focused on creating an HTML eBay template that I will make available for MC regulars at no cost.
So please bear with me as I trudge through teaching myself HTML coding and put my creations up to be constructively ripped apart to distill a great styleforum template!
Lets begin with the last posts I had in the previous thread:

I am messing with a border to separate the "who we are portion," any thoughts? I also removed the borders around the images.

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/2015/ebaycodingexample4.jpg

Does anyone have any advice on the background color? The Papyrus color I am unsure about but can't really decide on anything better...

A few of the previous incarnations:

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/7596/ebaycodingexample.jpg
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/7714/ebaycodingexample2.jpg

Last edited:

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So gentlemen please give feedback on anything other than the specific content. Remember that this is a fictional listing so typos in the "fluff," pictures or mis-measurements are not important.

I would love feedback on color choice, page layout, information regarding essential elements like more measurements, shipping clarifications etc. And while I love a good pat on the back, the shorter we can make this thread the easier it will be for everyone so lets try to keep comments to constructive criticism rather than the just "good job" posts
fing02[1].gif

Everything helps guys!

Last edited:

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the off-white colour looks good; draws the viewer in quite well.

Keeping the text on the right in a separate box is a good idea, but it might look better at the bottom of the page so it's not competing for attention with the pics.

One last thing: the font in 'provident' in the top banner is a little faded out (the first 3 letters). Could be my monitor though.

Overall great design; best of luck!

And what's the link to your ebay store?

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One last thing: the font in 'provident' in the top banner is a little faded out (the first 3 letters). Could be my monitor though.

And what's the link to your ebay store?

Yea I seem to be having troubles with this. Maybe it's just the font but any image hosting site seems to make the JPG "fuzzy"
Anyone with more experience have tips for this?

And my eBay store has yet to take shape as I am still trying to buy a nice mannequin. I have stock measured and lined up for launch though!

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try a GIFF or an Illustrator EPS file for your images, if your image host let's you. Otherwise it might just be an image resolution issue.

Design looks fine, a little bland for my taste, but anyone that can work HTML code gets my respect. My only input would be to always consider the clarity of the information being given, does it look right, can it be misinterpreted, am I assuming anything of the viewer? In any case, I'm sure it will be a good final effort.

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try a GIFF or an Illustrator EPS file for your images, if your image host let's you. Otherwise it might just be an image resolution issue.
Design looks fine, a little bland for my taste, but anyone that can work HTML code gets my respect. My only input would be to always consider the clarity of the information being given, does it look right, can it be misinterpreted, am I assuming anything of the viewer? In any case, I'm sure it will be a good final effort.
Is there something you'd do to make it have more "pop?"

I agree it is a tad bland, would text colors or something else increase the interest level?

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is there something you'd do to make it have more "pop?"

I agree it is a tad bland, would text colors or something else increase the interest level?

I would experiment with the box element that you have your company info in currently, it looks like you can group focused information that way, and maybe move the company info near the bottom. I would also suggest moving your glam pic to the top (maybe smaller) it would be a well rounded format to see product info and a quick pic before having to scroll down. The logo and cursive writing images seem to be in low res., can they be recreated in a better resolution? Sorry, i am a graphics nerd, so pixilation is always a pet peeve of mine. If i have time tomorrow, i will try to mock up something, with your permission. In any case, hope that helps...

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would experiment with the box element that you have your company info in currently, it looks like you can group focused information that way, and maybe move the company info near the bottom. I would also suggest moving your glam pic to the top (maybe smaller) it would be a well rounded format to see product info and a quick pic before having to scroll down. The logo and cursive writing images seem to be in low res., can they be recreated in a better resolution? Sorry, i am a graphics nerd, so pixilation is always a pet peeve of mine. If i have time tomorrow, i will try to mock up something, with your permission. In any case, hope that helps...

Would it help if I sent you the GIMP or GIF file?

I saved it as 600 DPI in GIMP but when I host it, it must be downsized and get fuzzy

Last edited:

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I tried out a new, smaller image that fits without scaling and is at 600dpi, how is it?

I have been scrolling other top eBay sellers and I found this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-CARUSO-...e=WDVW&rd=1&ih=027&category=3002&cmd=ViewItem

Do people prefer the boxed off header looks with contrasting colors of should we keep them to just underlined? Additionally, still waiting on the review of color, would it be better to keep the papyrus color or go white or something else masculine?

Also, check out the mini icon I made for my ebay page and lets get some feedback!
http://myworld.ebay.com/theprovidentgentleman

Finally, The coding is done for now. Everyone who would like a version of the template please PM me your email. I will be sending a locked word doc (password will be included to unlock) that will allow editing of images, prices, and colors but not the essential code to make it somewhat dummy proof.

You can just tab your way to victory!

Last edited:

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A side note. I will be making a second one for shoes, shirts, and ties that just changes the measurements section so stay tuned.

And, not to be a dick or anything, but the template will be reserved for established members so people with just a few posts go cut your teeth first...

Last edited:

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

yossi

Reaction score
You mean you want the text above the images to scale when the window is resized, but the photos to stay the same size all the time? I'm sure there's a way to do that, but I'd have to play around with it to see. But I dont think that's the best way to do it.

Or am I misunderstanding what you're asking?

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm actually hoping for the text and images to stay the same size and center and have the background color fill the scale

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads