Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

A Study in Stripes: Regimental and Repp Ties

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jrd617, Jun 22, 2014.

1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

im already down with stripes. my last 3 tie kops were stripes.

2. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Tell this to the old boys in and around St. James's, London, every day. If you're wearing a striped tie, get ready to be asked what institution it is unless it is a well known one (Household Div., Royal Navy, Eton, Harrow, MCC etc.). The gentlemen (of all ages, young or old, retired and serving) in the Cavalry & Guards club, for example, wear theirs religiously and I stick to my College tie when I'm there out of respect and tradition. I would never dream of wearing a tie that I was not entitled to, it's almost a form of fraud.

Even if you are wearing a striped tie in these areas that has no affiliation, be ready to see a bemused reaction when you explain "I just like the colours" as it doesn't occur to the true gent that he need any other striped tie than his school/college/regiment. Indeed, the American fascination for them, beyond American college colours, always leaves me a little bemused myself...

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014

3. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

^ How does Prince Charles get away with wearing all those military ties? Is he entitled to wear anything he wants as a Royal?

4. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Prince Charles is the Colonel-in-Chief of a great deal of regiments. Therefore, he is entitled to wear their uniform or regimental tie if he so wishes. Much in the same way Prince William wore the dress uniform of a Colonel of the Irish Guards at his wedding, even though he has never served with that regiment he is their Colonel-in-Chief etc. etc.

5. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

I want to be a Colonel-in-Chief.

6. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

7. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Depends a bit on what your college colors are. Two of my graduate degrees, including my doctorate, are from a school whose colors are orange and black, which is fine for Halloween, but otherwise ... [​IMG]

Cheers,

Ac

8. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

To be fair you choose your institution based on its merit. Perhaps the iGent chooses it on the collegiate tie?

Nothing wrong with the colours of Princeton.

9. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

@Academic2 I've been wondering for awhile what your academic area is? Social sciences, humanities, hard sciences?

10. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Exactly. A truly committed SF member will choose the colors first, and then find a school which matches …

Cheers,

Ac

11. Wrenkin

Wrenkin Senior member

It's not always the colours that are the problem, but the arrangement. One tie I'm entitled to wear is particularly busy. I've solved this by also buying a Polo knockoff which features the same distinctive stripes in a more harmonious arrangement. If someone challenges me on it I've the perfect excuse.

12. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

I was asked about my college tie a few months back by an oxford alum. Is that interest a European thing or just the British?

13. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

In the arts/humanities, though at this point I’ve published in a few areas outside my nominal field (e.g., I’ve published in history, though my appointment is not in the history department, and in philosophy of science, though my appointment is neither in philosophy or a science). It’s actually pretty common once one has reached a certain age and point in one's career to find that one’s research interests have broadened considerably compared to where one started out, especially if one is in the arts/humanities.

Cheers,

Ac

14. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Yes. This gets at the heart of the difference, I think. In Britain such ties are understood to be part of a uniform, whereas in the US they're just another item of apparel.

No American would dream of wearing a military dress uniform to which he was not entitled, it's just that ties aren't, for the most part, considered to be a defining part of the uniform.

Cheers,

Ac

15. Balfour

Balfour Senior member

I know this wasn't directed at me, but it would be seen as bad form for a Limey to do this over here (to put it mildly). Flying under false colours, and colours where the people who qualify to wear them are often prepared to put their lives on the line in defence of the country. (Not a judgment about the use of striped ties State-side (see Ac).)

Which is a shame, as I rather like the WASP-ish use of the striped tie.

Funnily enough, one of the most distinguished fellows at my College advised me not to wear the College tie other than on College occasions. He thought it gauche.

Very different attitude if you have military colours, although Michael Heseltine (an elder statesman of the Thatcher Cabinet) was criticised for being rather too eager to wear his Guards tie in civilian life.

Wearing a non-affiliated striped tie would just provoke bemusement.