1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

A Study in Stripes: Regimental and Repp Ties

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jrd617, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Evolve

Evolve Senior member

Just to clarify, I was speaking solely about striped ties in the U.S., where, as Academic2 said, they're just seen as another item of apparel these days (with perhaps a few exceptions).

It's not possible to have hand-rolled edges on a self tipped tie; it must be untipped for rolled edges.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  2. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

A question for our UK members. How strictly defined is a regimental tie? Is the standard British direction of the stripes (upper left down to lower right) a necessary part of the definition? Would preserving the pattern and colors but changing the orientation to the American direction (upper right down to lower left) mean it was non-regimental, and could therefore be worn by anyone?

Thanks.

Cheers,

Ac

3. Evolve

Evolve Senior member

According to Put This On, yes:

Traditionally, Englishmen wore these ties with the stripes sloping down from left to right, while Americans went the other direction. The style originated in the early 20th century, when decommissioned British officers continued to wear their regimental colors after they returned to civilian life (hence the name “regimental striped ties”). Anglophiles in the United States imitated the practice, but flipped the direction of the stripes so they wouldn’t be accused of being parvenus.

Today, the colors and direction of the stripes don’t really matter anymore, as nobody really remembers the origin of these things. The only thing that’s important is that such ties – at least in the United States – are incredible versatile.

http://putthison.com/post/73426411642/the-foundation-of-a-good-necktie-wardrobe-i-dont

4. Wrenkin

Wrenkin Senior member

Someone suggested on a previous page that the stripes on the RAF tie run from the upper right to lower left. Here is a photo of Prince Charles wearing one in that style:

[​IMG]

Looks like what you can buy here.

1 person likes this.
  5. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Oh dear, "Put this On". Do we need to put up this with dilettante (PTO) much longer?

6. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

Huh? What's wrong with Put This On? Derek Guy, who writes most of the content these days, is a savvy and respected member here. He knows his stuff as far as I'm concerned, and writes informative and well-researched posts for Put This On as well as his other blog, dieworkwear. No need for the elitist attitude.

7. BlackBrumel

BlackBrumel Senior member

My ties are striped from right to left with no bond with any regiment. They are just ties worn by a person carrying on his own business.

8. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

Tell this to the old boys in and around St. James's, London, every day. If you're wearing a striped tie, get ready to be asked what institution it is unless it is a well known one (Household Div., Royal Navy, Eton, Harrow, MCC etc.). The gentlemen (of all ages, young or old, retired and serving) in the Cavalry & Guards club, for example, wear theirs religiously and I stick to my College tie when I'm there out of respect and tradition. I would never dream of wearing a tie that I was not entitled to, it's almost a form of fraud.

Even if you are wearing a striped tie in these areas that has no affiliation, be ready to see a bemused reaction when you explain "I just like the colours" as it doesn't occur to the true gent that he need any other striped tie than his school/college/regiment. Indeed, the American fascination for them, beyond American college colours, always leaves me a little bemused myself...

:sarcasm:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  9. BlackBrumel

In my days, "true gents" used to carry on their own business and keep their bemusement to themselves.

1 person likes this.
  10. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

^ Yeah... My post was sarcastic. See post #62 in this thread for reference.

11. BlackBrumel

I was aware you were quoting.

1 person likes this.
  12. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

If you read that Andy thread I posted a few posts back, it says that some UK regimentals run the "American direction". Depends on the organization

The general pattern is:

British //
    American \\​

But there are some exceptions

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/showthread.php?61358-Which-way-should-Regimental-stripes-go

1 person likes this.
  13. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

I'm still curious about my question regarding the necessity or not of the stripe orientation to the definition of a particular regimental tie. Had Charles's tie stripes been oriented the other way, for example, would it no longer be thought of as an RAF tie?

Cheers,

Ac

14. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

not just you. 3 colors is the max for me too, and it has to be done right for me to like a 3 color stripe. either a block stripe with just the right width and colors or a ground with a thin spread stripe with maybe a thin border to the thin stripe.

like these:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

whereas i do not love this tri color so much:

[​IMG]

15. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

These are my striped ties, not including my college tie. Three out of four have three colours. The first three ties are Drakes and T&A, and the pattern goes in the British direction, while the Brooks Brothers tie is striped in the American way, so the stereotypes are confirmed. The navy/burgundy/yellow Drakes tie has virtually identical colours to my college tie, but looks much nicer, so I tend to wear it more often.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

17. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

My collection.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

a nice collection. i would buy about 7 of those personally. lots of other nice ones, but not my steez.

1 person likes this.
  19. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

How many of those do you still like and wear, Clags? I see only four that would work for me.

20. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

The tan Drakes and navy Dunhill (5th picture, 1st tie) are the only two I no longer wear. I guess same for the Hober (5th, 2nd)