A Study in Stripes: Regimental and Repp Ties

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jrd617, Jun 22, 2014.

1. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

What are the makers of all the ties?

I really like that Blackwatch tie (top picture) and the tie in light brown/blue (middle picture)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014

2. teoky

teoky Senior member

3. Jamesgatz

Jamesgatz Senior member

4. Jamesgatz

Jamesgatz Senior member

Thanks! Great idea for a thread.

5. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

Very interesting thread, I'll participate soon.

6. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

For anyone interested in good Fleabay search terms, paste this line of text into the search box on the main page.

Then click "Accessories" > "Ties" on the sidebar

(marinella, petronius, battistoni, borrelli, barba, isaia, corneliani, finamore, attolini, drakes, polo, ben silver, paul stuart, ralph lauren purple label, kiton, partenopea, ermenegildo, caruso, canali, zileri, hackett, holliday, nicky, turnbull, rubinacci, charvet, brioni, breuer) striped

Can also substitute "stripes" or "regimental" for "striped." Not sure how to arrange the Boolean stuff to account for those two terms

Left out a big one (Brooks Brothers) because I find their ties to be poor quality

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014

7. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

I don't get a sense of any change in tack regarding the wearing of Regimental/Club/Alumni ties. That said the rise of the 'Help for Heroes' Charity http://shop.helpforheroes.org.uk has gone someway I suppose to a change in perceptions, perhaps. Their three stripe tie/colours represent the three armed forces and is now very recognisable.

Well, I certainly wouldn't wear a tie without a personal association. Firstly, I would be very concerned should I be asked questions that I couldn't answer and have to admit 'erm, no. I just like the colour...'

Secondly I do know ex servicemen who attend annual reunions etc. I do some work at a place where I met a couple of these guys who are ex Grenadier Guards http://www.regimentalshop.com/shop/products/1037-Grenadier-Guards-Regimental-Shop/, one has become a good mate actually and to hear what he went through in the Armed Forces (conflict) beggars belief so for me to wear his regiment's tie would be a mark of considerable disrespect. imho, ymmv

Here's a link http://www.ubushop.co.uk/accessories/ties I'm able to wear the Social Sciences tie, though I don't.

If you look at -

http://www.bensonandclegg.com/shop/index.php?cPath=55_58

http://www.goldings.co.uk/online_shop/ties.php

Sometimes the issue is one of quality, shiny silk or polyester (!) can be found.

So, that all said just rushed a couple of quick pics...

First two are my favourite stripes at the moment, Corneliani and Drakes. :inlove:

Third is our Club tie, blue one to be worn at the Club the other when away representing the Club. :embar:

The final two are ties I love but never wear, both old and I can't bring myself to throw out.... :hide:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Makes sense. Awareness in Britain of the significance of certain striped ties will probably never go away. It's a "thing"

9. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Yeah, I'd never wear a striped tie from a school/organization I'm not part of. The same goes for tartans. It would result in too many awkward situations.

I don't wear my school tie too often, even though the burgundy and navy colours are quite nice. You sometimes see people wearing their school tie and cufflinks at the same time, which is a bit tacky if you ask me.

10. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

In the context of conservative business dress, I realize that I tend to draw a distinction between those ties (the vast majority in jrd617’s enviable collection) which have stripes of unequal widths and those, such as the leftmost one in the second photo, where the stripes are all of the same width.

Anyone have any thoughts to share on this distinction?

Cheers,

Ac

P.s.: I’d eliminate criterion (4) in the original post, as it’s surely true for all ties and not specific to stripes.

11. teoky

teoky Senior member

Love your first tie [​IMG]

So I guess I should stay away from striped ties when I'm in UK to avoid the potential awkward situations.

12. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

The stripes of most American ties go in a different direction, so you'd be perfectly fine. It's not like someone will walk up to you in the streets and ask you about your tie, but it might happen in certain social or professional occasions.

13. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

I agree BB ties aren't that amazing. But these ties do seem to be an exception. (They have handrolled edges and are self tipped):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One odd thing I did notice about these models is that the interlining comes down pretty far. They're also 2.75'.

Great thread; will post my collection soon!

14. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

^ Don't like any of those BB's, except for the brown

Especially don't like that one with the horizontal stripes. I should add a diagonals rule to my list

15. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

I like the yellow as part of an SC combo, but they are a bit narrow