• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Student's First Time Abroad in London and Milan.

indigofigure

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

For the first time in my life I will be going abroad to London and Milan.

I am an American college student and I was wondering what are the places that you would pick to go to first and foremost.

If you were in London or Milan in January 2013 what would you do first?

What stores would you prioritize?

What sights would you see?

Thank you for your input!

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
London, on a scale from least to most expensive:

Marks and Spencer (very decent stuff)
Cordings
Harrods
Cleverley shoes / Royal Arcade
Savile Row

Last edited:

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What exactly is it you want to buy with your $600 budget? You're being very vague

indigofigure

Reaction score
What exactly is it you want to buy with your $600 budget? You're being very vague
I'm looking for other people's opinions on what they would buy if they had $600 to spend. Whether it be shoes, ties, shirts, belts, anything that they would suggest that is unique to, or made famous by, London or Milan.

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With a budget of $600, skip the bespoke suits, check out English accessories and OTR stuff:

Selfridges, Harrods, maybe Liberty's -- check out Drakes, Peckham Rye, and the shoe departments ...
Gieves and Hawkes post Christmas sale (Savile Row), Benson & Clegg has ties too (Piccadilly Arcade) .
Walk along Jermyn Street and drop by Turnbull Asser to see what's left from the sale.
If you're keen on good English shoes that won't break the bank, check out Cheaney, Loake, and Barker (in that order).
Bridle bags etc -- See Pickett (Burlington Arcade off Bond Street) and Sage Brown (Prince's Arcade).

This way, you cover all the notable establishments from high street fashion to classic Savile Row.

Go to all of these places to check out what you really want to buy, before dropping money on anything, so you can stretch your pound/dollar. I'm saying this because whilst $600 is a tidy sum for a college student, it isn't all that much for one to spend on expensive products.

Best thing to do is to draw up a list of what you need, for eg, one bag, one pair of shoes, couple of ties etc, and cover all the basics, and then if you have money left, buy some additional stuff. Better than blowing all $600 on a pair of shoes for example.

And ask to claim the VAT on your purchases.

Last edited:

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Marks and Spencer (very decent stuff)

I gotta disagree with you there. We have Marks & Spencer in Dubai and unless there is a huge difference between the stores in London and the stores in UAE, I have to say I've found very little I liked there. The majority of their suits seem to be some poorly made polyester blend with only a few "higher end" selection available in 100% wool. The shoes I have seen aren't worth considering, and the only belts somewhat worthy of consideration are in their "luxury" line. "Luxury" seemingly meaning little more than "not ****** genuine leather belts with a vinyl coating".

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I gotta disagree with you there. We have Marks & Spencer in Dubai and unless there is a huge difference between the stores in London and the stores in UAE, I have to say I've found very little I liked there. The majority of their suits seem to be some poorly made polyester blend with only a few "higher end" selection available in 100% wool. The shoes I have seen aren't worth considering, and the only belts somewhat worthy of consideration are in their "luxury" line. "Luxury" seemingly meaning little more than "not ****** genuine leather belts with a vinyl coating". 

They do have decent overcoats (made from tweed and wool from English mills) here in London, and a Savile-Row inspired range (Have not checked them out), but by and large, M & S is not particularly known for their fine menswear. I've also never shopped in M & S for their clothing.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They do have decent overcoats (made from tweed and wool from English mills) here in London, and a Savile-Row inspired range (Have not checked them out), but by and large, M & S is not particularly known for their fine menswear. I've also never shopped in M & S for their clothing.

We don't have overcoats in M&S here so I can't speak to their quality, but I would be open to try them if we got them. I've seen lines inspired by Savile Row and Italy. Didn't much care for either of them. Then again, your buck does go far at Marks & Spencer. If only because their products are generally cheaply made.

Herr Brun

Reaction score
Go to Jermyn street for shoes and dress shirts. You can do some very, very good deals on quality shirts there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads