1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

A store - which of these brands would you be interested in

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

Margiela may not sell well, but stocking an avant-garde, slightly outre brand like that would add to the cache and prestige of the store.

It's a loss leader of sorts. Margiela itself doesn't sell but it does add to the denim bar mystique, attracting people who will spend money on the other brands.

2. constant struggle

constant struggle Senior member

to be honest for BoO you should only really stock the shirts and ties, it seems the rest of the pieces are out of alot of people's ranges

3. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

to be honest for BoO you should only really stock the shirts and ties, it seems the rest of the pieces are out of alot of people's ranges

agree. maybe some of the jackets....basically gear under $500 would move well, esp with the 20% SF discount and free shipping and no sales tax for those of us outside of DC

4. PG2G

PG2G Senior member

Margiela may not sell well, but stocking an avant-garde, slightly outre brand like that would add to the cache and prestige of the store.

It's a loss leader of sorts. Margiela itself doesn't sell but it does add to the denim bar mystique, attracting people who will spend money on the other brands.

Even so, it sounds like a waste of time. I think they should be thinking more Barney's Co-op and less Barney's NY.

5. SantosLHalper

SantosLHalper Senior member

Lots of good selections here. I would second YMC and strongly second Paul Smith for jeans and perhaps shoes. I would also add Gilded Age to the list.

6. airportlobby

airportlobby Senior member

Perhaps it's outside the options, but I'd like a good online shoe source, with the usual suspects for shoes that can be worn with business clothes or jeans (PS, NDC, F&B).

The DB discount on better Fred Perry and Baracuta would be great, as well.

7. dave

dave Senior member

+ 1 on Paul Smith and Fred Perry.

8. DeadDJ

DeadDJ Senior member

And Get Smart's comment after. Too lazy to back up for multiquote. Apply the comments to SPURR also. I voted for Margiela but upon reconsideration, it doesn't really make sense.

9. ghulkhan

ghulkhan Senior member

Even so, it sounds like a waste of time. I think they should be thinking more Barney's Co-op and less Barney's NY.

Also I have seen Co-op stores that carry Margiela.

Plus Ill def be a buyer esp of that trench!!

10. jet

jet Senior member

MMM def doesn't fit in with the concept or vision of the store.

I think everything selb said would be perfect along with an impressively laid out webstore.

11. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

MMM def doesn't fit in with the concept or vision of the store.

I think everything selb said would be perfect along with an impressively laid out webstore.

I think that a store that has some random stuff that is just there because the owner likes it take a store to the next level - the visionary level. In my mind, this is what makes Alan Bilzerian, who stocks James Perse and Converse next to Ann Demeulemeester and MA+, and then throws in Lanvin to boot, a truly great buyer - he buys what he likes, period.

12. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

i think Spurr will be a great addition . very interested in what they have.

13. jet

jet Senior member

Right but those labels are accompanied by others of the same level.

Throwing in mmm into the mix in this case just doesn't make sense.

14. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Right but those labels are accompanied by others of the same level.

Throwing in mmm into the mix in this case just doesn't make sense.

SPURR is up near the same price point.

I'd like to add Dries van Noten to that mix, though. I could see that selling to a sophisticated but more conservative consumer. Maybe Marni too, but that stuff is really expensive.

15. keykoo

keykoo Senior member

I don't think its about the price point, but the luster of the brand. Having all these denim centric brands and then randomly throwing in MMM in there (regardless of what the buys are) is going to be odd. Granted I've never been to the store, but I do feel like the aesthetic of SPURR (even though I'm not a fan) and BoO would fit the more casual nature of the store over advanced designer brands.

Now if Mauro was interested in buying a couple of designer brands like Dries and Margiela and starting up whole new section, I could see that working. If that is what he's going for then it'd probably be better to just open up a new store.

16. fosho78

fosho78 Senior member

If I could, I'd vote twice for Michael J. Krell, Band of Outsiders, and RRL.

17. Mauro

Mauro Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in
    THANK YOU EVERYONE!!

KEYKOO - gets a gold star

I am opening up a couple news stores in the next couple months ( knock on wood) and Possibly a killer flagship store for spring.

The concept will be totally different from the Denim Bar.

There are other brands I would like to carry but I was hoping that everyone would think that a lot of the brands despite price is the qulaity and craftmensship that goes into the collections.
    When you see the new stores you will get it.
    I am trying to make a full lifestyle store so shoes , bags, glasses, etc have been thought of.
    Keep it coming I start buying in one week!!!
    Best regards and thanks again!
    MAuro

18. kronik

kronik Senior member

<needs a well-paying part-time job, Mauro, preferably that offers healthy discounts on clothing>

19. Mauro

Mauro Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in
  20. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Dries, please. In general, much more wearable than Margiela.