• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A starter tie wardrobe for a Navy Blazer

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
False equivalence.
In this case it is you who (choose to) lack versatility, and not the tie.

I'm open to discuss the aesthetics of the tie with a suit or whatever, but not your (or the "grenadine fandom's") subjective opinion on what you "view them as".
If it looks good, it looks good. I won't die by "style rules", only aesthetics.

I wear grenadines with sport coats, but I don't understand comparing a grenadine with a knit tie. They occupy two very different levels of formality. A grenadine is a much more serious tie, something you can wear to the office or a wedding. You would not wear a knit tie to the office or a wedding unless you were getting married to menswear or sold suits for a living. A knit tie is basically a floppy, fun tie, like something you'd wear to a party. A grenadine isn't really something you'd wear to a party.

Last edited:

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who needs knit ties when you have grenadine ties? Better looking, more versatile, and classier in my opnion.
They’re very different in formality. You probably don’t own a knit tie? It’s like asking who needs loafers when you have black captoe oxfords. One does not replace the other. They are complementary.

adrianvo

Reaction score
I wear grenadines with sport coats, but I don't understand comparing a grenadine with a knit tie. They occupy two very different levels of formality. A grenadine is a much more serious tie, something you can wear to the office or a wedding. You would not wear a knit tie to the office or a wedding unless you were getting married to menswear or sold suits for a living. A knit tie is basically a floppy, fun tie, like something you'd wear to a party. A grenadine isn't really something you'd wear to a party.
Because they both can have a "knitted look", texture-wise. I don't think we'll ever agree on the "level of formality"-thing, because I think we both know I'm more than willing to use those levels as I please (as long as I think it looks good), unless it's a white or black tie event.
Even within the realm of knit ties, you will see some that seem less formal than others, and some can even resemble grenadine ties except for the shape.
They’re very different in formality. You probably don’t own a knit tie? It’s like asking who needs loafers when you have black captoe oxfords. One does not replace the other. They are complementary.
I have several grenadine and knit ties. I generally only use knit ties with a V-neck sweater under a sports coat or under a fair isle sweater - although I can use my grenadines for the same.

Another bad comparison. You are not getting my point if you're making that kind of comparison.
In my opinion: A grenadine tie can do what a knit tie can, but much more. Therefore, I think grenadines are more versatile.
I know that some disagree with me here because of the "level of formality" regarding grenadine ties, but I honestly don't care about the level of formality as long as it looks aesthetically pleasing (unless we're talking about a funeral, white or black tie event).

To illustrate: One of these is a grenadine, and one is a knit tie. Guess which one.
Shouldn't be too hard, but it should get the point across.
tie-wine-red-knitted-silk-john-henric-1.jpg
ST00827SBC_003-Mid-Blue-Grenadine-Tie.jpg

I'm perfectly aware that knit ties can be much shabbier, but that's not part of my point here.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Because they both can have a "knitted look", texture-wise. I don't think we'll ever agree on the "level of formality"-thing, because I think we both know I'm more than willing to use those levels as I please (as long as I think it looks good), unless it's a white or black tie event.
Even within the realm of knit ties, you will see some that seem less formal than others, and some can even resemble grenadine ties except for the shape.

I have several grenadine and knit ties. I generally only use knit ties with a V-neck sweater under a sports coat or under a fair isle sweater - although I can use my grenadines for the same.

Another bad comparison. You are not getting my point if you're making that kind of comparison.
In my opinion: A grenadine tie can do what a knit tie can, but much more. Therefore, I think grenadines are more versatile.
I know that some disagree with me here because of the "level of formality" regarding grenadine ties, but I honestly don't care about the level of formality as long as it looks aesthetically pleasing (unless we're talking about a funeral, white or black tie event).

To illustrate: One of these is a grenadine, and one is a knit tie. Guess which one.
Shouldn't be too hard, but it should get the point across.
tie-wine-red-knitted-silk-john-henric-1.jpg
ST00827SBC_003-Mid-Blue-Grenadine-Tie.jpg

I'm perfectly aware that knit ties can be much shabbier, but that's not part of my point here.

I think you're very new to this and you come at it with a lot of aggression and hubris. It's not that people here don't understand your point. We know they both have similar textures. It's that people are trying to explain to you they're not substitutes. Classic menswear is first and foremost a language, as dress used to be governed by time, place, and occasion. Instead of treating it as an art piece -- combining colors, patterns, and textures like some artist -- I think you would benefit by thinking of it more like how to write a sentence.

adrianvo

Reaction score
I think you're very new to this and you come at it with a lot of aggression and hubris. It's not that people here don't get your point -- we understand that both have similar textures. It's that people have more experience wearing tailored clothing and have either made or seen similar mistakes that you're making. When people try to say something to you, it's not that they're stupid and don't get your brilliant point. It's that you're new to this and probably should take the time to listen to what people are trying to communicate to you.

Classic menswear is first and foremost a language, not an art piece. You have to first understand the language. It's not about putting interesting colors, patterns, and textures together. It's about writing a sentence to say something.

Anyway, I'm sure this comment will go about as constructively as my others, so you do you.
I don't know where you see this aggression, maybe you're just very sensitive to different opinions?

Your never-ending quest to say "GOTCHA" goes on, I see? By the way, your narc is showing.

I do want to give you a piece of advice though, because one misconception you have keeps coming up. You seem to believe that "with experience", everyone will end up with the same taste as you. They will not. Everyone who has a different taste than you, are not "new to this". You've become narrowminded by your narcissism, which is a trap many style enthusiasts fall into over time.

You worship and hide behind a boring and uninspiring dresser (and politician *barf*) like Elliot Richardson, and I get why. You enjoy throwing stones while living in a glasshouse. Disingenuous and cowardly.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't know where you see this aggression, maybe you're just very sensitive to different opinions?

Your never-ending quest to say "GOTCHA" goes on, I see? By the way, your narc is showing.

I do want to give you a piece of advice though, because one misconception you have keeps coming up. You seem to believe that "with experience", everyone will end up with the same taste as you. They will not. Everyone who has a different taste than you, are not "new to this". You've become narrowminded by your narcissism, which is a trap many style enthusiasts fall into over time.

You worship and hide behind a boring and uninspiring dresser (and politician *barf*) like Elliot Richardson, and I get why. You enjoy throwing stones while living in a glasshouse. Disingenuous and cowardly.

My guess is that you don't know knit ties are party ties because people don't invite you to parties.

You have some serious personality flaws.

adrianvo

Reaction score
My guess is that you don't know knit ties are party ties because people don't invite you to parties.

You have some serious personality flaws.
Oh, how original. The "you don't have any friends"-argument.

I won't be lectured on personality flaws by a textbook example of a tool.

JIMIG

Reaction score
One more thing: if you're buying your first one, get black. A black silk knit tie will go with any outfit that can be worn with a silk knit tie. It's surprisingly the most versatile color for this style.

@dieworkwear this was interesting. I am looking at buying my first Drake’s knit tie. My initial thought was brown, but after reading your comment I might go with black instead.

Just so I don’t misunderstand: would you wear a black knit tie with summery outfits with lighter color sport coat/trousers as well?

FWIW I find your comments here very helpful, and I am learning a lot from them. So thank you!

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@dieworkwear this was interesting. I am looking at buying my first Drake’s knit tie. My initial thought was brown, but after reading your comment I might go with black instead.

Just so I don’t misunderstand: would you wear a black knit tie with summery outfits with lighter color sport coat/trousers as well?

FWIW I find your comments here very helpful, and I am learning a lot from them. So thank you!

Black knit ties can be worn with literally anything. Can't think of an outfit where it wouldn't work. You can wear it with a seersucker suit, tobacco linen suit, a tweed sport coat, a grey flannel suit, a navy hopsack sport coat with grey trousers, etc.

Black knit with a business suit:

tumblr_ng9psw8gx01rf1jvro1_1280.jpeg
b8951812f97708b595fc62db02125afa.jpeg
tumblr_n34j4vN5OW1rf1jvro1_1280.jpeg

With a tweed:

9f6ff1b8a7799bc42ceededb8d6c18c4.jpeg
tumblr_mf8hmhT1IK1rf1jvro1_r2_1280.jpeg
tumblr_mtx0ohZy2b1rf1jvro1_1280.jpeg
tumblr_narfyoOs9S1rf1jvro1_1280.jpeg

eb3327809a8db6a10eca79170c66b14b.jpeg

Navy sport coat with grey trousers:

tumblr_ogqv3oeg0Z1qa2j8co5_r1_1280.jpeg

Summer cotton suit:

tumblr_45d3e08b135c84cd29a34017609b238c_c76ea7f6_540.jpeg

Seersucker suit:

19HOCKNEY-superJumbo.jpeg

The only thing is that they're not versatile for situations. A knit tie is a very casual tie, so you will want to only wear it for casual situations. You can get one with a pointed or square end. Neither is better or worse, but a pointed end will be easier to tie since it has more leeway in terms of where it can hit your belt.

tumblr_ogqv3oeg0Z1qa2j8co1_1280.jpeg

The Louche V2

Reaction score
I have knit ties that are wider and skinnier, and wear them both equally. It's supposed to be a casual, floppy tie. I wouldn't sweat it. Just buy from a brand you like and a color you like. I consider them party ties.

One more thing: if you're buying your first one, get black. A black silk knit tie will go with any outfit that can be worn with a silk knit tie. It's surprisingly the most versatile color for this style.

DWW - Where do you buy new silk knits? I used to get them from Lands’ End for $20. They were excellent. Where can I get a good value these days?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
DWW - Where do you buy new silk knits? I used to get them from Lands’ End for $20. They were excellent. Where can I get a good value these days?

Have a bunch from different companies. But I haven't bought a tie in a very long time, so I don't know what's out there at the moment.

Some black knits below. These companies may still sell the same things. These have slightly different textures and widths. I like the wool one for tweeds.

IMG_8686.JPG

IMG_8688.JPG

dirtbag-delux

Reaction score
Black knit ties can be worn with literally anything. Can't think of an outfit where it wouldn't work. You can wear it with a seersucker suit, tobacco linen suit, a tweed sport coat, a grey flannel suit, a navy hopsack sport coat with grey trousers, etc.

Black knit with a business suit:

View attachment 1602778 View attachment 1602783 View attachment 1602784

With a tweed:

View attachment 1602782 View attachment 1602786 View attachment 1602779 View attachment 1602787
View attachment 1602788

Navy sport coat with grey trousers:

View attachment 1602780

Summer cotton suit:

View attachment 1602781

Seersucker suit:

View attachment 1602785

The only thing is that they're not versatile for situations. A knit tie is a very casual tie, so you will want to only wear it for casual situations. You can get one with a pointed or square end. Neither is better or worse, but a pointed end will be easier to tie since it has more leeway in terms of where it can hit your belt.

View attachment 1602789
Your suggestions for a black tie are eye opening. Particularly the one titled summer cotton suite. Who would have guessed that a brown suite and shoes would look so good with a black tie?

Menswear Advice may be a better spot for me than where I have been lurking.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics