• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Small, Cheap Convertible for a Noob

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bear in mind the cost of repairs, if you'll be paying for them. BMW parts don't come cheap.
Seriously. Unless (1) you're not putting many miles on it (like a few thousand a year, tops), (2) you can fix cars yourself, (3) your parents will be willing to pick up the bills for a frivolous car to buy which you sold a reliable car, (4) you have another major source of income/trust fund, buying a sweet old car is a bad idea. If the car is more than 10 years old and you drive it a lot, you can generally count on at least $1000 worth of work a year in addition to regular maintenance (tires, brakes, etc.).

Good luck, though. I REALLY wanted a 1982(?) Jag XJ coupe when I was 17, but thank god I was talked out of it. Kind of ugly, but a V12?!
1975xjsv12wh4.jpg

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
Not in the class of those mentioned, but you could get a Chrysler Sebring '00-'02 for about that much too, if not cheaper.

Originally Posted by Millerp
Mustang V6 convertible

Both are hideous.

Get the Miata. I learned to drive stick on a cherry red 91 Miata. Easy car to drive, and fun. Also, I second the suggestion to check out local SCCA events. You have a unique opportunity to learn from some of the most talented people in the country, and I think you'll find a lot of people from your industry participate.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All good ideas, thanks guys. My dad is more of a do-it yourself kind of guy, he can do minor engine work but I'm not planning on driving like a tool so I'm not too worried about accidents or anything like that (obviously they happen but you won't see me cruising at 85 down the street).

I do like the MB SLs mentioned earlier, especially the newer ones. I would think I could get a fair amount of money for the truck when the time comes to get rid of it. This isn't a done deal or anything, like I said I'm just looking for ideas.

JB

Buickguy

Reaction score
How about:

76cadillaceldorado.jpg

Just kidding but the back seat is very spacious. For that matter, so is the front seat!

The whole idea of a roadster is a body that looks great with the top down.

The Miata isn't a bad car. If you were handy, a vintage MG Midget is very fun.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by briancl
Both are hideous.

Get the Miata. I learned to drive stick on a cherry red 91 Miata. Easy car to drive, and fun. Also, I second the suggestion to check out local SCCA events. You have a unique opportunity to learn from some of the most talented people in the country, and I think you'll find a lot of people from your industry participate.

Neither are really all that bad, considering his price range. I would love to suggest an old Jag, but the maintenance and upkeep may be beyond what he can afford. His best bet may be to sell the explorer, and then see what he can afford.

Pink22m

Reaction score
Get a Honda Civic or Accord and call it a day.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pink22m
Get a Honda Civic or Accord and call it a day.

And chop off the roof to make them ghetto convertibles.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
And chop off the roof to make them ghetto convertibles.
LOL..I would hardly call them ghetto cars, they tend to be driven by young punks from the suburbs who feel if they put a fart can and stickers on them..they go faster.

coachvu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
Pink22m,
There's nothing wrong with it, it just doesn't suit my tastes. It's a dark-green ex-airport truck-

JB

You may not need the room now, but it sure won't hurt when you move to college/move out. Although a small convertible would be fun to drive, I've never considered one practical as an only car. Plus, you're looking to switch to a car that's going to require more expensive maintenance than the one you have. It just doesn't make sense in your current situation. Also, at your age, you shouldn't get to worry about your tastes in cars. It's a free car. Drive it until it falls apart and then move on.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good point coach, I didn't think of that.
This truck will be along until I move out and have to pay for gas, etc but until then it's here to stay.

JB

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
All good ideas, thanks guys. My dad is more of a do-it yourself kind of guy, he can do minor engine work but I'm not planning on driving like a tool so I'm not too worried about accidents or anything like that (obviously they happen but you won't see me cruising at 85 down the street).

Many older cars break down all the time, regardless of how you drive them. It just comes with the territory, and sporty convertibles are often among the worst offenders. Triumphs, for example, are legendary for the frequent repairs they require.

One of my friends used to drive a SAAB, and was horrified to discover when the headlight went out that he didn't have to buy just a new headight, but an entire assembly from SAAB. Ran him more than $100 for something that should have been a simple, cheap fix.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with the Porsche 911SC?
300px-Porsche911sc.jpg
JB

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782

Good luck, though. I REALLY wanted a 1982(?) Jag XJ coupe when I was 17, but thank god I was talked out of it. Kind of ugly, but a V12?!
1975xjsv12wh4.jpg

Heh, that's what I got in college -- always loved the darn car. Makes "a thousand miles feel like a hundred" to quote Clarkson. V-12s rule -- perfect primary and secondary harmonic balance, but more power would be nice, not that you can't get out of your own way, but the car becomes seductive when I run out of speed limit. Like at 80. That's the biggest drawback I've found. Maintenance would be horrific if I didn't do it all myself.

For some reason there's something wrong with the one in that pic. I've seen it before and I haven't been able to put my finger on it.

~ Huntsman

alexei

Reaction score
Several of these mentioned are good cars, but it depends upon your price point. Early on you said $5K was about right, but then you say a $19K MB is easy on the wallet. There's a big gap in there.

Just a guess, you can probably get ~$12K on average for an '03 Explorer, so I'd keep it under that then have money to play around with.

I would personally choose a Z3, then the C70 next, but you could also consider:
Toyota Solara
Toyota MR2 (a tad manlier than the Miata)

Personally, I'd stay away from the Sebring and the Mustang. They have their advantages in that they're cheap and have a back seat, but they have poor reliability. But then again you may have to make more repairs, but the parts will be a lot cheaper than for imports.... oh who knows. Just splurge for a Benz and call it a day.
cool.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads