• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A slightly more informal way to wear a black suit

Henk-Jan de Bruin

Reaction score
Hello,

I happen to own a very nice black suit, double breasted herringbone.
I bought it once because of a funeral.
Now it is hanging idly in my wardrobe, and I find it quite difficult to wear it in normal occasions, as it never feels 'right'.
Are there any recommendations on accessories/colors/shoe choices making it more common, and don't make it look like I'm Darth Vader itself?

I appreciate all the help.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's difficult to "dress down" a double breasted suit. You're pretty limited on shoe color - black . While the style of shoe can be less formal, you're still stuck with those options. While you can brighten it up with shirt/tie choices you're still limited because a double breasted suit doesn't look good unbuttoned.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree. I think you’re limited to wearing it in the evening. If the jacket is fitted you might try it with an open neck white shirt.

compuccesory

Reaction score

I'm down with the muted but colorful pocketsquare and tine, a rougher shirt - linen perhaps, and/or a pinstripe. The two tone shirt is a little too much for me.

For shoes, staying within black, what about a black suede loafer? In my mind I think even a brown suede would work but I should probably want to see that in real life to be sure.

Panama

Reaction score
Black, dark colored or white cotton or cashmere turtle/rollneck/polo neck sweater.

double-monks-turtleneck-suit-large-45031.jpg

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You bought the suit for a funeral, which means you understand what a black suit is for. Unless you are regularly cast as a gangster in Quentin Tarantino films, it has no other practical use. It’s not at all the same as a navy suit (which another reader has posted above, proving the point) although many people seem to think so; hence presumably sophisticated national news reporters refer to Trump’s “black suits” (not!). Unlike navy, a true black suit is frustratingly difficult to accessorize.

The good news is that the older you get, the more funerals you will be called to attend. The last will be your own, and you can wear your black suit to that as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads