• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

A slightly more casual dress shoe to wear?

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is wearing my black captoe oxfords day to day just too much? It is the only dress shoe I have so far.

Does anyone have any pictures of other shoe suggestions? Should I go with a brown shoe for number 2? What about the shoe style?

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iroh
Is wearing my black captoe oxfords day to day just too much? It is the only dress shoe I have so far.

Does anyone have any pictures of other shoe suggestions? Should I go with a brown shoe for number 2? What about the shoe style?

You shouldn't wear the same shoes day after day for the good of the shoes.

As a second shoe a brown semi-brogue is pretty versatile.

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chukka Boots (Nice cheap ones are Clarks.. but they get the job done), Quality lace-up boot (Aldens, for example. Personally I like/own the 405 Indy), Sleek Brown Penny Loafers.

All of these work even better as casual shoes (with, maybe the exception of the lace-ups) if they are suede! And lose the black! brown brown brown

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
I would probably grab a brown brogued captoe, or wingtip.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah pretty much any derby. Are you going to go to the place on the shoe horn? You better.

Look at the shoe damage thread for ideas of brands and styles you like.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Yeah pretty much any derby. Are you going to go to the place on the shoe horn? You better.

Look at the shoe damage thread for ideas of brands and styles you like.

+1. For a casual "dress" shoe I'd add a dark brown derby.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iroh

Consider burgundy. I think it is much more versatile than brown, can be worn with a suit and also more casually.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
Consider burgundy. I think it is much more versatile than brown, can be worn with a suit and also more casually.
I agree, burgundy is a good choice.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke
I would probably grab a brown brogued captoe, or wingtip.

Originally Posted by harvey_birdman

These two together. My favorite is cordovan longwing blucher - Alden #8 or AE McNeil (a bit cheaper and can be found on sale). Both will dress up with a suit or down with jeans.

emc894

Reaction score
I really like the Allen Edmonds Park Avenue in dark brown for work and casual wear. It is not super sleek as far as oxfords go so you can wear it with chinos or a suit. It is still pretty dark so you won't turn any heads with tan shoes and dark pants or anything.

A lot of punching or brogue-ing on a shoe makes it seem more rigid and less versatile in my eyes. Even though I know this was originally a country feature. My girlfriend always thinks my semi brogues are "old man shoes" or "work shoes".

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 15 3.1%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 84 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 160 32.7%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 79 16.2%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 41 8.4%