• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A silly question on shoes with leather bottom

duanjian

Reaction score
Does anyone feel they are really slippery? Tried a few pairs of Testoni and honestly i am afraid I may fall
shog[1].gif

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing you tried them on on carpeting? Until they get a bit scuffed up, they'll be slippery on most surfaces . . . just walk carefully for the first few minutes.

Now they'll never be quite as sure footed on ice as ruber soles will, but I'm assuming that's rare enough that it won't cause too much concern.

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Have you ever tried sole guards? Or, you can always bring them to a local repair shop and ask them to rough up the bottoms a bit.

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or just go outside and shuffle your feet on the sidewalk. I can't imagine what a cobbler would say if I asked him to rough up the soles of my shoes. It seems like you are affiliated with a shoe repair, so I guess you'd know better than I, but I'd feel like an ass asking for that 'service'.

stevie_wonderful77

Reaction score
I once read somewhere that lightly scoring leather soles with a very sharp knife helps make them less slippery. Could be complete bollocks though -- have never tried it.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stevie_wonderful77
I once read somewhere that lightly scoring leather soles with a very sharp knife helps make them less slippery. Could be complete bollocks though -- have never tried it.

that's what the SA at nordstroms told me as well. i keyed up some pair of ferragamo loafers right when i got home and it didn't really help that much.

atroopan

Reaction score
I was under the impression leather soles are also slippery in the rain too. Haven't been caught in much rain myself since it is more or less an underground trek.

troop

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thurston
Or just go outside and shuffle your feet on the sidewalk. I can't imagine what a cobbler would say if I asked him to rough up the soles of my shoes. It seems like you are affiliated with a shoe repair, so I guess you'd know better than I, but I'd feel like an ass asking for that 'service'.

Yes, I do own a shoe repair company.

Customers come in from time to time and ask us to do this (or we suggest it). We happily accommodate them. Please don't "feel like an ass asking for that service". Any reputable shop would be happy to do it for you. Usually at no charge. It's good customer service.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I put rubber sole protectors on all my leather sole shoes (well, actually, all my shoes have leather soles, except a pair of loafers and the sneakers), at least on those I expect to wear in rainy weather. Actually, thinking about it, I notice that my only pair of shoes that has escaped the rubber sole protectors is a pair of suede shoes that I do not intend to wear on rainy days.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just can't imagine that scoring a leather sole will work that well toward improving the traction of the sole.

Topying the whole things ruins the good look of the leather sole.

An alternative option is to buy little traction stickers (in oval shape) that you can stick on the sole.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
people put rubber on their leather soles? to protect it? i thought you can just get the sole repaired when it starts to wear out...

anyway it is slippery, especially on a smoother surface like hardwood or linoleum. walk outside and it will be better in a few minutes.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wEstSidE
people put rubber on their leather soles? to protect it? i thought you can just get the sole repaired when it starts to wear out...

anyway it is slippery, especially on a smoother surface like hardwood or linoleum. walk outside and it will be better in a few minutes.

I put the rubber protectors on more in order to make the shoes less slippery, than in order to actually protect the sole from wear. True, it may deteriorate the nice look of the leather sole. However, I have seen substantially worn out leather soles that do not look that great either. I guess that I do simply not care too much about the way the sole looks. I understand that some people will find my behaviour offensive, but, please, consider that 1) I fear that I will look ridiculous when rolling around on the ground in my expensive suit after slipping on the pavement (and I do not find too much comfort in the idea of the people watching me giving me compliments on the look of my nice leather soles) and 2) I am not doing this to any USD2000+ bespoke shoes; my most "exclusive" pair of shoes is probably a pair of Tramezzas, and I felt pretty OK when asking the cobbler to put the topys on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics