• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Short Shell Cordovan Sob Story, or Why Calfskin is About to Make a Comeback in My Closet!

gsgleason

Reaction score

Can you not just have the insole replaced? Would having them recrafted include that?

Allen Edmonds recrafting faq specifically says that if the insole is borked, you're SOL. I have no idea about whatever manufacturer this is, though. I just thought I'd throw that out there.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Actually, we don't know whether or not the problems with the insole are due to the shell not breathing.

But it is a possibility.

And I suspect it would be exasperated by not wearing socks.
I've never heard of this, but I trust your judgment. Haven't seen this with the dozens of pairs I've had.

malat

Reaction score

Your insole is not made of cordovan. Wear socks.
it's good advice to ware socks...
2.gif
+* /thread

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I've never heard of this, but I trust your judgment. Haven't seen this with the dozens of pairs I've had.

Remember that feet are different, people are different. some people's skin is acidic, some neutral, some base.Some people sweat prodigiously even in moderate temperatures. If you're not wearing socks, perspiration will tend to follow gravity and accumulate or pool on the plantar surface of the foot--next to the insole, IOW.

Depending on the quality of the insole or even the part of the hide it was cut from, this could accelerate a drying out of the insole.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I was thinking about the pair of failed shell shoes today, after having cooled down a bit from my initial frustration, and I think I know what the problem is. The only major difference between this insole failed pair vs. 16 others is its being the only pair in which my feet seemed to sweat profusely, is that these were unlined shell cordovan uppers.

I suspect that the lack of lining materials combined with shell's abhorrence of water led to more sweat being absorbed by the insole than on the other pairs. I wore the shoes hard, but always with socks (who started the sockless rumor? :confused: ). I probably should have let them rest more than a day between wearings in retrospect but indeed I never anticipated this type of problem. Perhaps it was a weak insole to begin with and the extra sweat exacerbated the underlying weakness, dunno for certain.

So has anyone else here noticed a difference in breathability between unlined shell shoes and those with linings?

Oh and to the illiterate lamers in this thread: I know that the new site is more difficult to navigate but Dumb Threads is in a completely different forum. :fu:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads