• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A shirting question for Alex Kabbaz

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If I have a shirt and I want it altered so the entire circumference of the sleeve is smaller and as well want the sides taken in and have quite a bit of body length and sleeve length to maneuver, how much can one alter the shirt? Obviously, I would not be the one altering the shirt, since I would have no idea what I am doing
dontgetit.gif
. I hope my really crappy 30-second drawings better explain what I mean, the dotted lines are where I want the shirt to end, and the solid lines are the original shirts size.
shirtall2kh.jpg
shirtupclose4im.jpg
Thanks, Jon.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(ImageWIS) If I have a shirt and I want it altered so the entire circumference of the sleeve is smaller and as well want the sides taken in and have quite a bit of body length and sleeve length to maneuver, how much can one alter the shirt? I hope my really crappy 30-second drawings better explain what I mean ...
Your really crappy 30-second drawings are just fine - I can do similar crappy in about 25 seconds. See what 30 years experience can do fer ya?.?

If I make assumptions not in evidence, that the shirt is R-T-W with NOT a high armhole, you should be able to remove from 4" to 6" of total body circumference (2"-3" sleeve circumference) depending upon the armhole depth. You'll have to add side gussets because you'll be destroying the tail shape ... unless you want to re-hem also.

rlevine

Reaction score
Just to point out, I think it is really difficult to alter the sleeve circumference without reducing the chest. This is clear from your pictures well. I had this done on a shirt and the chest is a little tight now.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(rlevine) Just to point out, I think it is really difficult to alter the sleeve circumference without reducing the chest.
This is entirely correct. The body circumference will be reduced up as high as the highest point of the armhole that you reduce. Because the reduction is not including the top of the chest, this can make for one wierd looking - albeit smaller - shirt.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(rlevine) Just to point out, I think it is really difficult to alter the sleeve circumference without reducing the chest.
This is entirely correct. The body circumference will be reduced up as high as the highest point of the armhole that you reduce. Because the reduction is not including the top of the chest, this can make for one wierd looking - albeit smaller - shirt.
Alex, First of all thanks for the quick response. Yes, it is a RTW shirt. My tailor already tailored one of the shirts (I bought two of the same kind, but different colors), but I think that the armholes are still too baggy. I will post a picture later tonight and show you what it looks like on me, thus I can get your professional opinion. Jon.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It must be noted that the Armhole is a hole. It has a shape as you can see in the diagram:
ShirtPatt72_6p5h.jpg
By cutting into the sides of the front and back, you are not raising the hole. You are merely altering it's shape ... which has limits. If you go too far it will make a real f*ing mess.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A R-T-W armhole is usually cut much lower and shallower than the custom one in the diagram. Hence, in effect, you would be raising the armhole - again, do-able only to a certain point.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
seems like in addition to raising the bottom of the armhole (and shortening its circumference), what you want to do is re-shape the sleeve cap, and not just shorten the armscye seam. mr. kabbaz hinted at this when he said the sleeve caps on RTW's are usually very shallow - to get the nice fitted look we talk about so much here, you need to re-cut a deeper cap, using the same midpoint of the curve (where the sleeve joins the yoke, usually).

...i think.

/andrew

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
seems like in addition to raising the bottom of the armhole (and shortening its circumference), what you want to do is re-shape the sleeve cap, and not just shorten the armscye seam. mr. kabbaz hinted at this when he said the sleeve caps on RTW's are usually very shallow - to get the nice fitted look we talk about so much here, you need to re-cut a deeper cap, using the same midpoint of the curve (where the sleeve joins the yoke, usually).

...i think.

/andrew
Hmm, my tailor took from both the sides and sleeve diameter, but said there was a limit to how much she could do before the sleeve "pulls".

Jon.

naturlaut

Reaction score
A R-T-W armhole is usually cut much lower and shallower than the custom one in the diagram. Hence, in effect, you would be raising the armhole - again, do-able only to a certain point.
I know someone must have asked this before, but in your professional opinion, how big/small should a shirt armhole be? I usually have the shirt armhole about two inches larger than my body (if the circumference of my shoulder/arm joint measures 15" the shirt armhole measures 17"). I assume the shape of it is equally important too.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(naturlaut) I know someone must have asked this before, but in your professional opinion, how big/small should a shirt armhole be?
The size of the armhole is an entirely personal characteristic. As a general rule, an average size (40" chest) would be about 19"-20" bespoke. The same size in R-T-W would be around 25"-28". I have made armholes as small as 12" and as large as 29". Shape is equally important. Sadly, shape is not quantifiable for the purpose of explanation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads