1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

A-shirt vs 'wife-beater'

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ted, Apr 10, 2006.

1. ted

ted Senior member

As for undershirts, I wear A-shirts or 'wife-beaters' if you want to call them that. I have for as long as I can remember and so have all the men in my family. I find then useful in covering chest hair esp. when wearing a white dress shirt. I also like them because they don't bind under my arms - which is why I hate T-shirts.

The GF doesn't like them and frequently says so. Always reminding me they are called 'wife-beaters' for a reason and are very lower class. Well here we disagree - I think they have been around a long time. So here's my question: Do A-shirts (or wife-beaters) really send a message to others what class you are from? I don't see the big deal - as they are just undershirts to me, but do they really send this message? Thanks for any advice.

2. tiger02

tiger02 Senior member

They're "under" for a reason. The only person to whom they should be sending any message is your GF, and hopefully there are competing observables that will convince her you're not a wife-beater yourself.

Remember that first lesson, and dress yourself!

3. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Only if you expose it in public.

4. Soph

Soph Senior member

Only in the gym, and only if you are in great shape; and as an undershirt under a real shirt.

5. ted

ted Senior member

Ok, thanks for the replies.
    My GF knows the 'wife-beater' label does not apply to me but that what she calls my undershirts.
    Yes, I only wear them under a real, or dress shirt.
    If I do this is it still 'lower class'?
    Thanks

6. Soph

Soph Senior member

Well if you're a rapper -white or black-

and also

if you want to be a rebel every once in a while. [​IMG]

7. NewYorkBuck

NewYorkBuck Senior member

Im assuming we're talking about using them for underneath a dress shirt. To that end, I suppose it doesn't matter as no one sees them. The only caveat is your arm pits are not covered, exposing one of the sweatier parts of our anatomy directly to the dress shirt. This coverage is exactly why I wear an undershirt.

8. Margaret

Margaret Senior member

As for undershirts, I wear A-shirts or 'wife-beaters' if you want to call them that. I have for as long as I can remember and so have all the men in my family. I find then useful in covering chest hair esp. when wearing a white dress shirt. I also like them because they don't bind under my arms - which is why I hate T-shirts.

If t-shirts tend to bind you under the arm, why not just try a size larger? Seems to me one of the primary advantages of an undershirt is to keep perspiration and body oils away from your shirt, so better to have an undershirt that covers your armpits. IMO.

The GF doesn't like them and frequently says so.

Of course, this is the most important consideration. Toss 'em.

9. Soph

Soph Senior member

Tell your GF that you are the Man and will do what you wish when you wish, no questions, and that she had better love you.[​IMG]

10. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Good grief, tell your girlfriend to lighten up. There are better things for people to worry about.

11. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Of course, this is the most important consideration. Toss 'em.

Only if he's a little boy with no cojones.

12. ted

ted Senior member

Only if he's a little boy with no cojones.

Manhood aside (I've never questioned it myself) I'm more interested in if these shirts are viewed as lower class by most folks or not. I guess until the GF brought up the subject I never really gave it much thought. I wear them because I find them comfortable and am not worried about the sweat protection of T-shirts. I'm not tossing them. I'm not tossing the GF either, she basically teases me about them but I think there is something classist in her teasing. (since that's the worst thing I can say she does - I not real worried - we all have flaws anyway).

13. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Senior member

Wife beaters? What would give you that idea?

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Zimmerli Textil, AG Photos

14. tiger02

tiger02 Senior member

Wife beaters? What would give you that idea?

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Zimmerli Textil, AG Photos

Alex, I liked your previous models better.

15. breakfasteatre

breakfasteatre Senior member

I also wear A-shirts underneath and i find that if i wear a tshirt as an undershirt, it seems to make me extra sweat, trapping in hot air, and i find i will get especially stinky with them on. I need that really tight a shirt, its not the same with a really tight tshirt

16. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

If she's your GF and not your wife, what does she have to worry about? [​IMG]

17. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

I'm not looking to start a dialogue about volatile issues of race and gender, but let me just point out to you that your GF's perspectives are rather insulting as her stereotypical characterizations of a freakin' undershirt reflects and reinforces negative perspectives on non-white, "lower-classed" people. Don't get me wrong, the use of the term "wife-beater" has it's comical value and is a common reference if intended more in a joking, non derogatory way. Your GF's thoughts on the issue, however, scream derogatory.

In any event, I think you're right. It's an undershirt and it has nothing to do with reflecting that the person wearing it is of lower class, or "ghetto" - especially when you wear it where it's suppose to be worn in public - under your dress shirt. Be ready for stares and comments from people who share the same views as your GF if you care to don your A-shirt at the mall. They may think you are either "white trash" or from the ghetto.

18. breakfasteatre

breakfasteatre Senior member

nevermind, posted before reading

19. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

My only issue with these shirts is that when you do wear them under a dress shirt, if the sun or a strong light hits you, it looks like you are wearing a bra. Also, due to my own prejudices, I do think it cheapens a dressed up look. Then there is the deodorant/anti-persiperant hitting your shirt directly. That will make short work of your dress shirts underarms. At the end of the day, I hate them because of the trashy perception of the wearer that I will have. We can get into a whole argument of my stereotypes and prejudices and yada yada but if you like them, wear them. You should not care what others think. I do believe they are less beneficial to your dress shirts and people can tell if you are wearing them. They make an outline on your shirt when you move or again, in certain light.

I love good looking girls who show thong above their lowriders. To many, that is trashy. What are you gonna do.

20. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Senior member

Alex, I liked your previous models better.
    Sorry, Tiger. Here's a husband beater. Enjoy your day.

[​IMG]
    Zimmerli Textil, AG Photo